Best "Justice League/Justice League Unlimited" Episode, Poll #2

Vote For The Best Episode of Justice League

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ShadowStar

jl.gif

jlu.gif

On November 17th, 2001, Justice League launched with the three-part series premiere, "Secret Origins". It was clear from the outset that the DCAU crew were embarking on a bold new direction with this show: with a roster of seven A-listers in the main cast and the expectation of delivering a suitably epic crisis in each new story, it was never going to be easy to pull off. But Justice League showed, even at a fairly early stage, that there was plenty of scope, thanks to the talented voice cast and crew, and Bruce Timm's popular designs.

Over the next few months, a series of polls marking the recent 10th anniversary of the show will cover every episode of both JL and JLU, all 91 episodes, in order to determine which ones have really stood the test of time. As many of the Justice League two-parters were aired back to back on Cartoon Network in America, they will be combined in these polls. Each poll will last for one week, beginning and finishing on a Monday.

28.jpg

Episodes #14-15 - The Brave And The Bold, Parts 1-2
Original Airdates - March 10th and 17th, 2002

Flash and Green Lantern stumble upon Gorilla Grodd and a plot against the secret "Gorilla City". Flash must stop Gorilla Grodd while Green Lantern attempts to disarm warheads.

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF/jl/episodes/braveandthebold/

Episodes #16-17 - Fury, Parts 1-2
Original Airdates - April 7th and 14th, 2002

When a renegade Amazon named Aresia reassembles the Injustice Gang, Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl must stop her from destroying Man's world. With the male population quickly dropping, they rush to stop Aresia from unleashing her plague upon the world.

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF/jl/episodes/fury/

Episodes #18-19 - Legends, Parts 1-2
Original Airdates - April 21st and 28th, 2002

During a fight with Lex Luthor, the Justice League is blasted into an alternate reality where they meet the Justice Guild of America, a group of old-fashioned comic-book heroes whose exploits Green Lantern remembers reading about when he was a kid. After coming across startling evidence concerning the Justice Guild, Green Lantern approaches the heroes with it with horrific results.

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF/jl/episodes/legends/

Episodes #20-21 - A Knight of Shadows, Parts 1-2
Original Airdates - September 20th and 27th, 2002

Morgaine Le Fay is an ancient sorceress who desires the legendary Sorcerer's Stone. The Justice League must stop her before she captures this object that would give her the power to rule the world. The Justice League team up with the Demon Etrigan to stop her.

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF/jl/episodes/knightofshadows/

Episodes #22-23 - Metamorphosis, Parts 1-2
Original Airdate - October 4th, 2002

Green Lantern's old friend is exposed to an experimental ray by an enemy of his, which transforms him into the evil mutant Metamorpho. Metamorpho is led to believe that John Stewart is his enemy, which leads to a confrontation with the Justice League. But what will happen when he learns the truth?

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF/jl/episodes/metamorphosis/

Episodes #24-26 - The Savage Time, Parts 1-3
Original Airdate - November 9th 2002 - First Season Finale

The Justice League returns from a mission in deep space to find a world that has drastically changed - for the worse. A ruthless, repressive dictator named Vandal Savage has seized control. To restore life as they know it, the world's greatest collection of superheroes must travel back in time and team up with Sgt. Rock and his military squadron, the Blackhawks. Together, they must fight in WWII in order to stop Savage from taking power in the first place. But when the others lose touch with Green Lantern and Wonder Woman in the thick of battle, will they all make it back to the present day?

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF/jl/episodes/thesavagetime/

Poll #1 results:
  • Secret Origins: 3.45%
  • In Blackest Night: 10.34%
  • The Enemy Below: 34.48%
  • Injustice For All: 48.28% (WINNER)
  • Paradise Lost: 3.45%
  • War World: 0%

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobbywoodhogan

I Will Find Him!
The Savage Time I remember when I first watched it and I saw Hitler frozen in ice I was like WHAT?. Superb episode, other than that I only liked Legends out of these selected,

graysongirl

I have to go with A Savage Time. One of the first episodes I saw of the show, and it still holds up without the nostalgia goggles. The storylines are well written and thought out.

I was very surprised to see animated hitler, and it genuinely shocked me as a kid to see that on TV.

Plus there were Dick, Babs Cass and Tim cameos :)

Wonderwall

Staff member
Gotta go with my favorite season 1 episode in Legends. I just loved the Justice Guild and the crazy twist it takes after a really nice boiling just under the surface build. It was really the only episode that actually benefited from having the computers not being calibrated properly.

A Savage Time is awesome too as it was kind of when the show was turning the corner into being awesome. Had it not been for Legends I'd probably have gone with that. Honorable mention to A Knight of Shadows which was one I didn't care for back in the day but warmed up to when I rewatched on DVD.

Metamorphosis still stinks though:p

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I'm going with "Legends." It was the two parter that got me hooked on the series. You got a in media res opener, a parallel universe adventure, a take on the JSA and some of their rogues, a mystery, and spotlight on Stewart.

jkoolpe

I don't post often, but do lurk often.

But I had to post for my choice of "Legends" as this is my favorite of the early Justice League episodes by far. Lots of other good episodes in there to be sure, but this one is special to me...

A great story, the homage to the Justice Society and the bygone era from which they first were imagined, the hysterically exaggerated villains, and the very sad twist at the end, this one had it all, and really made the show come into its own at that point (for me).

I collected comics in my younger years and absolutely thrilled to much of the Silver Age Justice League comics (I have them all from Brave and Bold #28 onward and hope to pass them along to my son when he gets a little older), and this episode brought back the sheer "fun" of those older books (even with their admittedly goofy storylines to my now less youthful eyes ;) ).

And each time I rewatch this episode, I am to this day struck by the scene in which GL proclaims that as corny as they were, the old comics were seminal in shaping his world view on how to be a true hero :). I know the same holds true for me now...

Can't believe it's been 10 years since the show premiered, and I sure do miss it still. But I can't wait until my son gets a little older and can watch them with me (he already loves him some Superman and Batman :D ) .

Cheers,

Jon

Bat Bruce

Hard to choose between Savage Time & Knight of Shadows, but I give the nod to KoS since I think it has more character development (not that blowing up nazis for an hour doesn't have its charm), really the first spotlight J'onn had, plus my enjoyment of episodes relates directly to how much involvement old Bats has :D

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I'm actually going to have to go with "The Brave And The Bold". There are some ridicolous moments in it (like the super long Flash chase to try and catch up with a car of all things) but here's the thing: the biggest problem with Justice League season one was how many big lulls there were during the epiosdes. This was fixed in season two, but every episode of the first season had at least one big lull scene. Be it a not very interesting fight or chase or just exposition or set up or scenes of normal character interacting with the threat, and it really detracted from the episodes. And really "Brave And The Bold" had the least problems in regards to that. Plus for the first time evne moreso then "Paradise Lost" I felt that the show could be carried by characters other then Superman or Batman here as the first part with Green Lantern and Flash actually was fairly good. Well at least some of their banter anyway (and I just love the moment where John just punches Wally when he's being mind controlled and knocks him out. Just such a cool moment for John IMHO). So I would give my vote for that for this poll actually.

Lighthammer

Bringer of the Light
Arg, Knight of Shadows is such a great episode but Legends edges it out in my book.

Legends has to edge out almost entirely due to its significance across the JL/JLU story arcs. Its a great stand alone story in it's own right that centers around the theme in Superman TAS / Justice League that I ABSOLUTELY love: "Do the right thing at the right time for the right reasons". This episode is the basis for that theme else where.

Believe it or not, I'll have to go very much contrary to the majority and say that even though I enjoyed A Savage Time, it certainly isn't an episode I feel really show cases the series as a whole.

ShadowStar

"A Knight of Shadows" is by far the most engaging of these stories for me - it's safe to say that at this point the viewer has come to feel sympathy for J'onn, the last Martian, and that the dilemma he faces makes for good drama. Etrigan is on fine form too, and Morgaine has an imposing presence, so much so that you have to marvel at how close humanity comes to losing everything in the struggle over the Stone.

Dusty

Superman.
It came down to either "The Savage Time" or "A Knight Of Shadows" I love the deep and great story of "A Knight Of Shadows" that episode is probably one of the best episodes out of the entire series IMO, but I love the story for "The Savage Time" also, plus the dogfight scene is just pure awesome! Anyways, This group was way too hard to choose from, but after a few days of crying and intense counseling...;) I had to go with "The Savage Time" The whole episode was just pure golden-age comic-to-screen goodness! Plus, I am so biased, Superman did some awesomely cool stuff in this one, (he has done other cool stuff in many other JL episodes before too, but he threw whole Nazi airplanes into each other! ;) Anyhoo, that is why I had to choose that ep. Man I hope the season 2 poll is a little easier, ;)

D.

JTMarsh

Wing Commander
I also voted for "The Savage Time". Time travel stories can be tricky but they pulled that one off very well.

suss2it

I went with "The Savage Time", it was between that and "Legends". "The Savage Time" felt more epic though, and it was cool seeing John without his ring and having to rely on his marine training.

Lighthammer

Bringer of the Light
So I had a moment of derp in writing my last post in this thread which could have been fixed by taking the time to actually read the description of the episode >.>

I was thinking of the episode: A Better World in my last post (which is a season 2 episode).

Sadly, this pole doesn't allow changes to your vote, but my vote for this portion does actually have to go to A Knight of Shadows.

Legends was a fun episode, but A Knight of Shadows was better.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts