Best Wrestling Game Ever?

Mikintosh

I've had almost no experience with this genre, but it looks kind of fun and I was wondering which one's cream of the crop. I obviously don't have an answer to my own question, but what do you guys think? Hoping for something from the last 10 years so I can actually play it, but that's not a limit.

Frank Castle

Sic vis pacem, para bellum
It really depends on what you're looking for. If you like something that's easy to pick up and play, the Smackdown! series is great. If you want something with a little more depth, the AKI N64 games (WCW vs. NWO: World Tour, WCW/NWO Revenge, WWF Wrestlemania 2000, and WWF No Mercy) are great simulations even though they are dated. The Japanese have some great games such as Virtual Pro Wrestling, All Star Pro Wrestling, and King of Coliseum. Fire Pro Wrestling's not too bad either. The Def Jam games are OK but I never really liked them despite being developed by AKI.

TNA iMPACT is going to be similar to No Mercy and Smackdown! '08 is going to be revamped as far as animations and moves are concerned.

Really it just comes down to which style of wrestling you like. If you want a slower paced but simulative game, go with the AKI games. If you want something fast, go with Smackdown.

My personal favorite is Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 (N64).

Also, stay the hell away from anything made by Acclaim. All their games are crap.

Tapout

It's easily WWF No Mercy for the N64, as far as American games go anyway. I haven't bothered with any of the import titles, or very obscure Dreamcast games.

I liked Acclaim's SNES games. They're very dated, far more than AKI's N64 games, but way back when WWF Raw was an absolute blast on four-player mode. Even Attitude and Warzone were OK, if pale in comparison to AKI's games. It was when they used the exact same engine long after people were finished with it for ECW's two games that it got annoying. EA's WCW games were the real crime.

Beat

Retired
Virtual Pro Wrestling 64 and its sequel. Japanese only, the former has more wrestlers than you can shake a stick at, (Hulk Hogan vs. Rickson Gracie FTW) while the second has more modes than you can think of.

sdp

miscrave
I had a blast with the AKI wrestling games on the N64 No Mercy being the best "upgrade' of it.

I'm not really into wrestling so if it doesn't have an engine as fun as those I probably wouldn't enjoy it. DId AKI go downhill? I didn't know the def jam games were by them i thought they had just dissapeared.

WCW/NWO Revenge isn't just one of the best wrestling games of all time, it's one of the best games games of all time period. I can't say enough about that rock ***** game. It will never be topeed imo.

Sigma

Simply Phenomenal
WCW/NWO Revenge isn't just one of the best wrestling games of all time, it's one of the best games games of all time period. I can't say enough about that rock ***** game. It will never be topeed imo.
I dunno about that since it has been topped several times by AKI themselves. Wrestlemania 2000, No Mercy, and Virtual Pro Wrestling 1 & 2 all were much improved verisons of the Revenge engine.

For someone who has never played a wrestling game before though and if you are also a fan of wrestling to begin with, the Smackdown vs. RAW series is the best series to start with because the presentation is great and the games play very well. The SVR series also offers robust create a wrestler systems and a bevy of match types to choose from as well as many other modes of play.

PTurkey

¿Quién mirará Los Ice Creams?
Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain was the best of the PS games. Very robust CAW, very customizeable season (I liked taking out all of the WWE guys and replacing them with CAWs), and a good balance between arcadey and simulationy gameplay. I kinda jumped from that to SvR 2007, and it just felt like so much was taken out.

The one before it, Shut Your Mouth, has a special place in my heart for allowing you to stack two tables on top of the announce table and piledrivering somebody through all three simultaneously, tossing somebody out of the ring through a table, and jumping off the Smackdown Fist. The gameplay itself is pretty weak, though.

No Mercy has great gameplay, but the graphics haven't aged well at all, though the immense satisfaction of hearing the metallic crunch when you slam your opponent on a weapon is something unseen in the SD games.

RSNaco

Izzy's Second Biggest Fan
I'll pretty much give the nod to the later WWE Smackdown games up to Smackdown vs. Raw '06. I exclude '07 because I didn't like the shifted control scheme, which felt like too much of a departure from the old gameplay. I'm still feverishly playing SvR '06, with my created characters only, of course, and kind of writing my own storylines. I also applaud the Smackdown games for having such an excellent Create mode; I could literally spend hours on end creating and customizing characters and even making wrestling forms of animated characters (I've made a collection of Danny Phantom characters, Kim Possible, and even a stable of original characters based on Juniper Lee, who I've also made).

I've also played the old WCW N64 games back in the day and for their time, they were amazing, but looking back on it, the fighting never really flowed too well for me. It may just be personal preference, so don't judge it too much.

Shawn Hopkins

TZ Member of the Year 2013
It's been almost 20 years now, but Pro Wrestling on the NES will always be the all time king for me. No one can defeat Starman! And the Amazon still scares the crap out of me. He bites, you know.

"A Winner is You."

Tecmo Wrestling was pretty good, too, as was the SNES Royal Rumble game because of its awesome multiple character matches and Razor Ramone. I grew out of wrestling shortly after that one.

Desensitized

Old School!
No Mercy. No wrestling game has managed to top it yet (Well, graphically they have).. I really miss that series. Revenge, Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy were all top notch.

Mr. Pedro

Der Patton
AKI's series of N64 titles will always hold the crown for me. The simplicity of the gameplay made them very easy to get into, not to mention all the tons of characters available, and in was always nifty to create your own character (along with tinkering with the appearances of some of your least-loved superstars to something often less flattering).

I dunno about that since it has been topped several times by AKI themselves. Wrestlemania 2000, No Mercy, and Virtual Pro Wrestling 1 & 2 all were much improved verisons of the Revenge engine.

For someone who has never played a wrestling game before though and if you are also a fan of wrestling to begin with, the Smackdown vs. RAW series is the best series to start with because the presentation is great and the games play very well. The SVR series also offers robust create a wrestler systems and a bevy of match types to choose from as well as many other modes of play.

Ummmm that's like saying Slayer was heavier than Black Sabbath or something. That might be true but there would be no Slayer or Metallica or anything without Black Sabbath.

Revenge was the first game to really raise the bar in wrestling video games. Every game that improves to this day can thank that game for setting the stage.

Frank Castle

Ummmm that's like saying Slayer was heavier than Black Sabbath or something. That might be true but there would be no Slayer or Metallica or anything without Black Sabbath.

Revenge was the first game to really raise the bar in wrestling video games. Every game that improves to this day can thank that game for setting the stage.
Revenge would be nothing without World Tour and Virtual Pro Wrestling. Revenge was just a sequel that had a few more bells and whistles. World Tour and Virtual Pro Wrestling truly set the stage. World Tour brought the pure wrestling simulation to the U.S.A.

Tapout

Didn't WCW VS The World for the PS1 use the VPW engine before the N64 games? I think World Tour was the first wrestling game I got in the post-SNES era, so I'm not too familiar with the ones before that.

Revenge would be nothing without World Tour and Virtual Pro Wrestling. Revenge was just a sequel that had a few more bells and whistles. World Tour and Virtual Pro Wrestling truly set the stage. World Tour brought the pure wrestling simulation to the U.S.A.

OMG Revenge blows those games to heck and back.

Frank Castle

Didn't WCW VS The World for the PS1 use the VPW engine before the N64 games? I think World Tour was the first wrestling game I got in the post-SNES era, so I'm not too familiar with the ones before that.
Ah yes I forgot about that one. It came out about 6 months before World Tour. So yes WCW vs. The World was the first AKI game in the U.S.

#60 said:
OMG Revenge blows those games to heck and back.
Really? Because they were basically the same game. That's like saying Madden '07 blows Madden '06 out of the water.

.bg

Pro Wrestling for the NES. A winner is me.

EDIT: Dammit! A Mr Shawn Hopkins beat me to it. Game's still awesome, though.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

So the featured threads are never going to be updated?
Imagine if Shea Fontana and Matt Hoverman collaborated on a project. Her brand of positivity, inclusivity, and fun cheesiness combined with his emotional moments, mature storytelling, and Broadway like songs (helped by how he's worked as a playwright) would be really awesome to see.
Blockchain is used so frequently that you might as well call it something like "Ether Realm" instead.
Well, now my laptop is functioning back to normal.
Yesterday at my local Meijer store, I saw LEGO sets for The Batman movie. I guess merch is starting to hit the shelves.

Featured Posts