"World War Hulk" (unconfirmed) News & Discussion Thread

Tohya

deficit omne quod nasciture
They could possibly make a planet hulk esque movie after avengers 2. Like it was said in the avengers thread...with maybe thanos sending hulk into space and him coming back a badass. What i dont see is them adapting world war hulk into the MCU.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Another Incredible Hulk 2 rumor. But seems more plausible. I haven't read the comic they're talking about but I like the concept except they haven't really shown Banner working on inventions that aren't related to gamma research.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
But...why would Lou assume that?
It's something Kevin Fiege has said in past reports he thinks one will happen after Avengers 2. Plus, I suppose Ruffalo and Lou must be contracted for x amount of movies.

the greenman

They do want to do another Hulk film, but apparently they want to do one in context to the over-arching story of Thanos' invasion. Supposedly their biggest gripe is not having too much CGI Hulk and letting Ruffalo shine, and I think that was their fault for doing that with Hulk in Avengers, but it was a surprise. It took something away from the character, but now they need to go back to the psychology of the character, they could have easily had the Hulkbusters in Avengers. If they keep castrating these superheroes from what they are, then they do need to move on from the Avengers franchise to something else.

Someone suggested having the Hulk framed and Banner banished to another world before and I think that would be a great storyline post-Age of Ultron. Having the Phase III films essentially break the Avengers in some critical way and culminating in Avengers 3 would be a be appropriately epic. Thanos wins and Phase IV is about the heroes rebuilding themselves so they can free Earth in a fourth Avengers.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I think May 2016 is a bit early for a sequel to Captain America or Thor, at least if we want to make sure those films are done well. I think we would have heard if development on their third films had already begun by now, so I'm thinking it's more likely that the spot is another introduction film.
A Hulk movie with Ruffalo is just as possible. It's been admitted it's on the to do list after Age of Ultron.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I'd be able to believe that. Seems likelier that one of those has been in planning longer then a sequel.
Yeah, I mean, just to elaborate for the sake of a Friday night post - Ruffalo very likely signed a six movie deal so counting Age of Ultron - that's 3 appearances so far. And if I remember correctly, Marvel was gushing over Ruffalo with the positive response from viewers of Avengers. They could have easily whipped a second Hulk movie into development since then or even modified one that was in the pool since The Incredible Hulk since we know some of the actors like Tim Roth and Tim Blake Nelson also had multi-picture deals. Even the director, Leterrier I think.

Found Feige comments back in September 2012 (which I think launched the Planet Hulk rumor train:
"Do I think Hulk can carry a movie and be as entertaining as he was in 'Avengers'? I do believe that. I do believe he absolutely could. We certainly are not even going to attempt that until 'Avengers 2,'" said Feige. "So there's a lot of time to think about it."

"Part of what's fun about the way we played him in 'Avengers' is the ensemble quality of it," he continued of why Hulk resonated with so many fans this summer. "I think the pathos and humor, most importantly, that Mark and Joss brought to it showcased a different element of Hulk that's there in the comics, and was always inherent in his character. But when he was so brooding in his other two films, he didn't get to have that wry sense of humor that Mark did such an amazing job performing."
So the takeaway is they are at least thinking about it. :cool:

Y'know, I kind of forgot a Ruffalo Hulk film would be a 'sequel'. Whoops. Still, I could believe that one of those has been in the works long enough that one would be ready for a May 2016 film. I think looking at the Hulk's place in the world now that he is seen as a 'hero' amongst the Avengers is definitely the place to begin with a Ruffalo solo film. It does make me wonder if Liv Tyler and friends would return. I think if a Hulk film with Ruffalo with Tyler and the other actors from the 2008 film succeeds with the audiences the Marvel Cinematic Universe's longevity would be completely secured.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I think looking at the Hulk's place in the world now that he is seen as a 'hero' amongst the Avengers is definitely the place to begin with a Ruffalo solo film. It does make me wonder if Liv Tyler and friends would return. I think if a Hulk film with Ruffalo with Tyler and the other actors from the 2008 film succeeds with the audiences the Marvel Cinematic Universe's longevity would be completely secured.
Agreed, I and I assume many fans have wondered what came of Banner post-Avengers. Just going by implications of the teaser in Iron Man 3, he's exonerated or working for S.H.I.E.L.D. with a nice set up. I would be thrilled if they returned the actors from TIH and better yet if it succeeded. It would be a second notch on Marvel's sash - given Don Cheadle has done a great job as Rhodey.

the greenman

On Hulk, I'm a huge fan and disappointed they don't explore his mythos more. I'm more disappointed they don't have the fugitive Banner with the Hulk Busters after him. However, they could go with his Grey form and get into more meta-narratives. Personally, I would like to see them kill off Betty and trigger Banner into another form then have General Ross turn into Red Hulk as a surprise.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Consider the source, but Latino Review noted Lou Ferrigno talked to a local radio station in Minnesota and said Marvel is planning another solo Hulk movie after the second Avengers. Considering how Phase 3 is shaping up, it would be in the back half if true. But Ruffalo did sign for six movies, again moot since that doesn't automatically mean Marvel will use him six times, but after AOU, that's 3 more appearances left. 4 if they don't count Iron Man 3. But we'll probably know what the whole Phase 3 line up at SDCC in July.

That sounds like good news, but I would be weary of making another Hulk movie unless someone who had Whedon's grasp of the character was involved.

the greenman

A new Hulk film is intriguing for many reasons :

Will they bring back characters like Betty and General Ross, Doc Samson, or Leader?
What title will they use?
Will they re-use Adrian Pasdar as Talbot?
Is this going to be the final Hulk film or will they design this as a reboot?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
This feels like old news but I'm all for a new Hulk movie. I think another Hulk movie was always in consideration once Ruffalo was signed but only recently it's entered the next phase of 'possible' on their chalk boards of future movie titles.

Frontier

Staff member
I'd definitely welcome another Hulk film, especially if it revisited the characters and plots of the Incredible Hulk and finally brought back Banner's supporting cast. I think they're the characters most in need of a MCU status update :sweat:.

It would be nice if Hulk got to talk more in the possible movie :).

There are a ton of Hulk characters/villains that they could possibly use for a movie, so it would be interesting to see what a new Hulk film would be about.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts