"Ghost Rider" (unconfirmed MCU film) News & Discussion

RoryWilliams

Marvel has Ghost Rider back. Don't expect to see him (or Daredevil or Blade) anytime soon though. Feige says they're not interested in immediately rebooting any of their reclaimed properties, since they were poorly received in the first place.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
So now Marvel has Ghost Rider, Blade, Daredevil, and Punisher back? OH YEAH! Sure, they're not planning on reboots yet, but that's fine. I can wait.

the greenman

Well, the only good thing that Ghost Rider brings to MCU, is the use of the demons like Mephisto and Blackheart. If they don't mess them up withe bad writing, the animated universe is pretty much complete.

Interestingly, all of those characters mentioned were part of the MARVEL KNIGHTS lineup, which included Dr. Strange.

Gold Guy

Staff member
Well, the only good thing that Ghost Rider brings to MCU, is the use of the demons like Mephisto and Blackheart. If they don't mess them up withe bad writing, the animated universe is pretty much complete.

I like the way you think. I hated Blackheart's portrayal in Ghost Rider. He looked like an emo vampire. Maybe the MCU will do him right.

TFormersMarvel

Not sure if it's still related to the MCU but:
Marvel's got the Blade, Punisher and Ghost Rider movie rights back

Marvel now has The Punisher, Ghost Rider (thank goodness), and Blade back in their movies rights. Maybe they could use them for potential side characters or cameos in future films like Doc Strange? (If you've seen the "AFLAC!"-credits scene (sorry) in Guardians, it doesn't seem like Marvel is holding back certain characters from having a film debut in the MCU)

Gold Guy

Staff member
IMO, those three should get their own Netflix shows for "Phase 2" of MCU Netflix, after Defenders.

RoryWilliams

That's old news. I think they announced it a year or so ago. They also mentioned they were avoiding using them because the only reason they got them back is because audiences were either sick of them or never responded well in the first place (which is why the speculation about Marvel reclaiming Spidey, the X-Men, and FF is a bit misguided).

Frontier

Staff member
Well, they're movie franchises certainly didn't take off so I could see putting the characters in their own Netflix shows as a way of testing the waters to see if their's an audience for those characters while also not devoting the massive amount of attention to them that a movie would probably require.

Heck, it's always possible that if the Netflix shows prove successful that the characters from there could eventually get their own movie or join the Avengers in a future film :).

Though Ghost Rider might need more CG than a budget for a Netflix show would provide :sweat:.

reflection01

I don't think you can apply logic about unpopular properties pre-Guardians to popular properties post-Guardians.

It's pretty clear that if Marvel made a Ghost Rider movie, it would be pretty good. Marvel has that level of trust with moviegoers. Guardians may be the #1 film this weekend.

If Disney did what was necessary to get the rights to any of those more popular properties, it would be so they could make movies right away.

RoryWilliams

I don't think you can apply logic about unpopular properties pre-Guardians to popular properties post-Guardians.

Sure I can. The difference is the Guardians were a complete unknown. They were not a property that was attempted before and flopped. Reboots are a mixed bag to begin with because chances are, if the original wasn't well received, you still have that stink on it. The MCU rebooted the Hulk and it sold less tickets than the critically divisive Ang Lee version, which many people chalked up to the audience not wanting to give the character another shot. Or even more recently you had Dredd, which by all accounts was a great comic book movie and just a really good movie in general, which bombed. And again, many chalked it up to the fact that America's first mass exposure to Judge Dredd was the awful Stallone movie.

Most of the audience isn't aware of the rights issues so "A Ghost Rider movie made by Marvel!" or "A Punisher movie made by Marvel!" isn't going to matter to most of the people who would otherwise remember those characters from their past, crappy movies. Which is why they're being kept on ice.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Punisher and Ghost Rider I could see for now just keeping as characters in a T.V show and not even having them as the main characters, due to not exactly translating that well as box office heroes. Okay granted the 2004 Punisher movie worked fairly well for those who saw it but it was more a mild success then anything else and really Punisher is a character who works best as a hardcore R sort of hero so if you're not prepared to go all out with him, you really shouldn't. However I think Blade is something they should try giving another shot too. Not only since Blade was the first actual successful marvel movie, but because honestly the character's lack of popularity now is due to the film series going off the rails in it's later installments. And if Fox can have X-Men course correct after something like Origins: Wolverine, surely someone can do a reboot or remake of Blade to wash away the effects of Trinity. It would also help with the diversity of the Marvel movieverse and really with the introduction of other realms, infinity stones and when Dr. Strange comes out supernatural magic, vampirism wouldn't be that out of place. Even if you didn't get Wesley Snipes back I could see that working but yeah maybe more down the line.

Also with Ghost Rider being given back to Marvel it's obvious Sony and FOX are only holding onto the titles that they know still make money and are profitable and not just ones who have had movies recently as that ghost Rider sequel isn't even three years old, yet now it's rights are with Marvel again. Thus sadly either a series of Fantastic Four, X-men or Spider-Man movies are going to have to really flop to get those rights back. Still those are like I think the only real properties other studios own of Marvel titles when it comes to films right. And honestly it would be kind of awesome seeing these characters pop up in cameos in Marvel films. Like what if say the third Avengers movie opened up with Ghost Rider facing off against some Chitari and then Thanos coming down, easily owning him and corrupting Ghost Rider to be on his side or just offing him? Imagine just how epic that could be if done right.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
And we'll see. But if Blade, Ghost Rider, ect are on the block for Phase 3 I'd be shocked. Very shocked.
I would guess Phase 9. ;)

I imagine they in part look at Dr. Strange as a test to see if the 'supernatural' aspect of the MCU is a hit and will expand on it or not given the film's success more of the supernatural characters like Blade or Ghost Rider. If it does well, I wouldn't be surprised if a guy named Ghost Rider shows up in a place called Hell's Kitchen. Seems fitting to me. For now, I'm okay with them taking steps with caution.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Well, they have Dr. Strange and Ghost Rider. Characters like Morbius and Moon Knight could come aboard. Honestly anything supernatural could easily be on Netflix or even the new "Disney Play".
I'm surprised there hasn't been any rumors about what Disney Play's series is about. But I digress. Netflix has started a supernatural angle with the Hand but so has the movies with Strange and AOS with Rider and Darkhold. But with Ghost Rider needing SFX, I wonder if the Netflix budget/production time could handle a series about him. AOS was documented to be down to the wire sometimes with him. But I would be interested in them getting to the supernatural horror genre. Like you said, it feels like they're closing in on it as a phase theme within the next 10 years.

Norman Reedus wants in on the MCU. To play either Ghost Rider or Silver Surfer:

'The Walking Dead's Norman Reedus Wants to Play Ghost Rider or Silver Surfer
Ghost Rider gets a little tricky because Robbie Reyes is the current Rider, so if Reedus were to be a Rider it would have to be Reyes' predecessor, Johnny Blaze, in a prequel series. In theory anyway, Reyes could always pass the Rider on to someone else like Danny Ketch.

EDIT: lol, even Luna (who plays Reyes) approved of Reedus as Johnny last month.

the greenman

I'm surprised there hasn't been any rumors about what Disney Play's series is about. But I digress. Netflix has started a supernatural angle with the Hand but so has the movies with Strange and AOS with Rider and Darkhold. But with Ghost Rider needing SFX, I wonder if the Netflix budget/production time could handle a series about him. AOS was documented to be down to the wire sometimes with him. But I would be interested in them getting to the supernatural horror genre. Like you said, it feels like they're closing in on it as a phase theme within the next 10 years.

Ghost Rider gets a little tricky because Robbie Reyes is the current Rider, so if Reedus were to be a Rider it would have to be Reyes' predecessor, Johnny Blaze, in a prequel series. In theory anyway, Reyes could always pass the Rider on to someone else like Danny Ketch.

EDIT: lol, even Luna (who plays Reyes) approved of Reedus as Johnny last month.
Well then, Reedus could easily slide into an interesting stint as Johnny Blaze on the AOS series. Interesting he's got a peg on the supernatural side of comics (Blade 2). Moreso than Norin Radd.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
8/30: Well, they have Dr. Strange and Ghost Rider. Characters like Morbius and Moon Knight could come aboard. Honestly anything supernatural could easily be on Netflix or even the new "Disney Play".

8/31: Norman Reedus wants in on the MCU. To play either Ghost Rider or Silver Surfer:

'The Walking Dead's Norman Reedus Wants to Play Ghost Rider or Silver Surfer

I can see Reedus as Johnny Blaze, although altogether I'm not really expecting any immediate things for Ghost Rider in live action :sweat:.

the greenman

I can see Reedus as Johnny Blaze, although altogether I'm not really expecting any immediate things for Ghost Rider in live action :sweat:.
I've stated this before; but the one advantage of Ghost Rider is the rogues gallery of demons that come with the IP.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Well then, Reedus could easily slide into an interesting stint as Johnny Blaze on the AOS series. Interesting he's got a peg on the supernatural side of comics (Blade 2). Moreso than Norin Radd.
I don't think they're featuring the supernatural again anytime soon. They're next taking a cue from Guardians and Infinity War and heading off into space for the next season.

They said a similar thing in 2012...2013 -- whenever Marvel got rights back -- then Ghost Rider showed up on AOS in 2016. At the time, I thought he would get a spin off of at least digital shorts like Yo-Yo did with "Slingshot" (which they didn't include in the Season 4 set unfortunately). So you know, we may see him again in 2022. ;)

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.
The time when Gunther spoke Dutch in Friends.

Featured Posts