Boomerang (US) News & Discussion II: Rebrand

Kooplecrap Me

Cartoonist,Love Fries, Inactive YouTuber
Looney Tunes Show is taking Baby Looney Tunes slot in addition to replacing Garfield and Friends. Sorry for the confusion.
why does it even need 2 different slots in the first place, especially if I were them i'd also wish they would remove the 2 hour LT block off the 4 am and 10 pm slot

F150Dog

Deal for Stitch
Looney Tunes Show will replace Baby Looney Tunes on 6 am-7 am.

A Cartoonito show airing at 3:00 in the morning sounds weird.
Yes, it is weird move by Boomerang.

Believe or not, Boomerang only have 3 hours worth of programming that aren't Scooby-Doo, Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry.

Low Spark of Lyman

Boogie boogie boogie!
Catching up on DVR recordings, noticed a Garfield and Friends recording from three mornings ago, and while watching it, couldn't for the life of me remember seeing it before, especially when the first Garfield ended on a cliffhanger, and then after the U.S. Acres also didn't seem familiar so looked it up...

That whole half hour was the second-to-last televised broadcast - or show #120 of 121. As far as I knew, only the first 73 were ever done through The Program Exchange in part of syndication, and basically had been so. However, they played #120 that morning, in what became new-to-me segments. Sad that if I'd known beforehand I'd of certainly made a memo here of it.

"The Horror Hostess: Episode 1 / Newsworthy Wade / The Horror Hostess: Episode 2" were the ones shown, and possibly on linear TV since a potential last repeat performance on CBS itself when they were still airing it.

Garfield only has one more hour late tonight before being replaced by The Looney Tunes Show, but none of the titles are beyond #73.
Mark Evanier has written about why GAF only had 73 episodes included in The Program Exchange's syndication package...as well as why the show ended when it did.

"In fact, the 73 reran so well in this country that we never bothered to syndicate the other 48 episodes in the U.S. once CBS turned loose of them. The math was such that we could make just as much money syndicating a package of 73 as opposed to a package of 121."

The Program Exchange's license to the show expired in 2006, the same year it first aired on Boomerang. According to this thread, the channel at the time was already airing the show as presented on the Fox DVDs (as indicated by "Orson's Farm"): Something I Noticed While Watching "Garfield & Friends"...

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
A smidge off topic especially now with Garfield off, but ~~

Interesting read @Low Spark of Lyman. In a way it's too bad 74-121 never got included into the syndication cause why not? 48 is still a big enough number for the additional story lines to be loved, and it didn't seem like it'd been that bad of an idea without losing revenue in those repeats. It sounds as if they'd made more than if those other 48 were added, which, still seems a loss just to not even let those 48 have the light of day the longest time - until it's original DVD releases.

If the expiration date really ended in 2006, I honestly wonder what was up that those last 48 were still never part of any syndication when it could've easily had been. AFAIK, only Boomerang and Starz Encore Family played it since then, and the same 73. Of course, that was only slightly broken when Boom aired #120 last week. If they were seemingly willing to broadcast that, then I think they blew a chance to play the other 47. Always a potential chance in the future elsewhere I suppose if not Boom.

Low Spark of Lyman

Boogie boogie boogie!
A smidge off topic especially now with Garfield off, but ~~

Interesting read @Low Spark of Lyman. In a way it's too bad 74-121 never got included into the syndication cause why not? 48 is still a big enough number for the additional story lines to be loved, and it didn't seem like it'd been that bad of an idea without losing revenue in those repeats. It sounds as if they'd made more than if those other 48 were added, which, still seems a loss just to not even let those 48 have the light of day the longest time - until it's original DVD releases.

If the expiration date really ended in 2006, I honestly wonder what was up that those last 48 were still never part of any syndication when it could've easily had been. AFAIK, only Boomerang and Starz Encore Family played it since then, and the same 73. Of course, that was only slightly broken when Boom aired #120 last week. If they were seemingly willing to broadcast that, then I think they blew a chance to play the other 47. Always a potential chance in the future elsewhere I suppose if not Boom.
Not only that, but it looks like The Program Exchange itself closed down in 2016, judging by their website shutting down then. I've never been able to see GAF on Boomerang, and I don't know if we get Starz Encore Family in this household, so I haven't seen how those channels handled the show, i.e. barely dealing with the non-TPE episodes.

I suppose this particular topic would be big enough to warrant its own thread. I'll consider doing that in the near future.

CNC

Now that Nickelodeon will be airing the new Smurfs series on 9/10, shouldn’t Boomerang FINALLY stop airing classic Smurfs on that day? in my opinion, they should really stop holding on to this anymore.

Silverstar

Rock the Dragon
Now that Nickelodeon will be airing the new Smurfs series on 9/10, shouldn’t Boomerang FINALLY stop airing classic Smurfs on that day? in my opinion, they should really stop holding on to this anymore.
I don't know of Da Boom will stop airing SatAM Smurfs, but theoretically they could continue to air it, since their Smurfs series was produced by Hanna-Barbera (which is now owned by Warner Bros.) and has been out of production for quite a while (HB lost their rights to Smurfs years ago and WB doesn't seem to be in any hurry to re-acquire said rights), so I don't know if a new ongoing series running alongside reruns of a finished one on a different network would be considered a conflict of interest or not.

F150Dog

Deal for Stitch
Just like '67 Fantastic Four and Spectacular Spider-Man aren't owned by Disney, so '81 Smurfs is no different and they are owned by H-B, known as WB and it will continue to air on Boomerang, also partially available on HBO Max (S1-S4) and full available on Boomerang app. WB continue to distribute '81 Smurfs DVD sets.

New Smurfs premiere on Nick doesn't affect WB's handling with '81 Smurfs.

I heard that Netflix will picking new Smurfs as second run after 18 months is up.

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
Just like '67 Fantastic Four and Spectacular Spider-Man aren't owned by Disney, so '81 Smurfs is no different and they are owned by H-B, known as WB and it will continue to air on Boomerang, also partially available on HBO Max (S1-S4) and full available on Boomerang app. WB continue to distribute '81 Smurfs DVD sets.
The only thing they don't own regarding this show is the international TV rights, which are handled by another company IIRC

F150Dog

Deal for Stitch
The only thing they don't own regarding this show is the international TV rights, which are handled by another company IIRC
That's right, '81 Smurfs is owned by H-B/WB in the US only.

It means WB would have to renounce the rights to '81 Smurfs or sell to other companies but it is very unlikely. WB have option to stream on Tubi if they are interested like they did with some H-B shows.

It just like Nestle doesn't own Kit Kat and Rolo in the US only.

CNC

This schedule still looks dull and lifeless. (even after CN finally gets varied)

Also, stark warning to all: I'm going to start truncating all Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, and Scooby-Doo! shows into the same cell for each franchise.

1631411628889.png

1631412079532.png

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

It seems like Disney Television Animation is really ramping up in getting out a bunch of tv movies. This information is from animation festivals, where you have to sign up to see this, so hopefully there's an article about it soon.

Happy 24th anniversary to Bear In The Big Blue House.

It looks like Drake and Josh revival has been cancelled. Im not surprised at all.
I hope there is a Traditional Animated Shows that switched to Flash thread.
Streaker Prower wrote on LinusFan303's profile.
Hey LinusFan303, What did you just said about Kickoff to Christmas on "Freeform (Formerly ABC Family)" Network Thread! I know that Kickoff To Christmas will happen this year, I just wait for the Schedule to happen.

Featured Posts