Boomerang (US) News & Discussion II: Rebrand

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
Steering the discussion away from the rumor mill for a moment. The idea of shows like Out of Jimmy's Head, The Problem Solverz and The Brak Show returning to CN has no basis in reality. On "classic CN" block also seems somewhat iffy. However, it's possible Warner Bros. Discovery may be planning for Boomerang to continue in a different form. WBD could either merge Boomerang with Discovery Family or have Boom return to being a program block on Cartoon Network (I'm thinking a weekend only block, since there's currently not enough hours on CN's weekday schedule for another program block). And even if the Boomerang channel were to shut down, there's still the Boomerang streaming service. I'm not taking the word of someone with zero credibility but is possible that WBD could be making some changes, since the studio currently has 3 kid's channels, counting Discovery Family. I could see WBD consolidating at least 2 of them, though it's likely that WBD will keep at least one of them around for the ad revenue.

Last edited:

Toonhead2002Ultra

Steering the discussion away from the rumor mill for a moment. It's possible Warner Bros. Discovery may be planning for Boomerang to continue in a different form. WBD could either merge Boomerang with Discovery Family or have Boom return to being a program block on Cartoon Network (I'm thinking a weekends only block, since there's currently not enough hours on CN's weekday schedule for another program block). And even if the Boomerang channel were to shut down, there's still the Boomerang streaming service. I'm not taking the word of someone with zero credibility, but is possible that WBD could be making some changes, since the studio currently has 3 kid's channels, counting Discovery Family. I could see WBD consolidating at least 2 of them, though it's likely that WBD will keep at least one of them around for the ad revenue.
They could go down a lot of different routes with this idea. Obviously Cartoon Network would be the one of the three that's most likely to stick around seeing as it's the only one to not be a premium channel and the oldest of the bunch. If I was asked to merge two of these channels together I'd have Discovery Family air from 6am to 6pm, and Boomerang take up the rest of the time. Having Boomerang be a night time thing might give them a reason to air more classics on the network like it did back in the day. You could even have a Boomerang block spill into CN in this scenario as well.

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
Also, Cartoon Network is an internationally recognized brand, so it's the least likely channel to be altered. Discovery Family, by contrast, doesn't exist outside of the U.S. and in some countries the Boomerang channels have become Cartoonito channels. I could see WBD either merging Boomerang with Disc Fam or simply shutting one of them down. I could see WBD shutting down one of those channels, but not both.

Last edited:

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
Also, Cartoon Network is an internationally recognized brand, so it's the least likely channel to be altered. Discovery Family, by contrast, doesn't exist outside of the U.S. and in some countries the Boomerang channels have become Cartoonito channels. I could see WBD either merging Boomerang with Disc Fam or simply shutting one of them down. I could see WBD shutting down one of those channels, but not both.
This might be off topic, but is there any updates with Hasbro regarding their stake in Discovery Family?

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
This might be off topic, but is there any updates with Hasbro regarding their stake in Discovery Family?
There was an article in August about how Hasbro was considering selling or restructuring their entertainment assets. I didn’t post it in the Discovery Family thread because the article only focused on eOne (I’m not sure if the author even knows about the channel), but I’m kinda wondering if that also includes their Discovery Family stake.

(The article mentions an investor day in October, but that happened a few days ago and I didn’t hear about any further updates.)

Last edited:

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
There was an article in August about how Hasbro was considering selling or restructuring their entertainment assets. I didn’t post it in the Discovery Family thread because the article only focused on eOne (I’m not sure If the author even knows about the channel), but I’m kinda wondering if that also includes their Discovery Family stake.

(The article mentions an investor day in October, but that happened a few days ago and I didn’t hear about any further updates).
Okay. I hope that's the case.

Kooplecrap Me

Cartoonist,Love Fries, Inactive YouTuber
Boomerang will be airing Scooby Goes Hollywood on September 1st

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    917.3 KB · Views: 31

hobo 7

evolution of Boomerang these past months.

Attachments

• boomshakalaka 1.png
    boomshakalaka 1.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 84
  • boomshakalaka 2.png
    boomshakalaka 2.png
    61.7 KB · Views: 72
  • boomshakalaka 3.png
    boomshakalaka 3.png
    352.4 KB · Views: 54
  • boomshakalaka 4.png
    boomshakalaka 4.png
    74.2 KB · Views: 52
  • boomshakalaka 5.png
    boomshakalaka 5.png
    73.7 KB · Views: 57
  • boomshakalaka 6.png
    boomshakalaka 6.png
    72.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Charles Rafter

It looks like Boomerang schedule is getting around 55% better this year than too much Tom & Jerry and Looney Tunes.

This is like 2018 all over again, as the channel brings a lot of classics back on the schedule including classic Cartoon Network shows, Smurfs, Jetsons, and Flintstones.

Also, back in February 2023, there's an error that happened where Boomerang keeps playing the first two season episodes of Flintstones all over again, however, the episode of the sixth season "The Long, Long, Long, Weekend" still plays instead of the first season episode "The Long, Long Weekend". I hope the error could fix anytime soon.

Anyways, the 1980's episodes of the Jetsons returned to the Boomerang schedule back in June 2023 after it failed to get a chance to air in the July to November 2018's run. It last aired on television was early March 2017. Some episodes aired 16:9 stretched, while most of it aired 4:3 pillarboxed, and some episodes aired as the WB restored prints rather than Turner prints.

Charles Rafter

It looks like Boomerang schedule is getting around 55% better this year than too much Tom & Jerry and Looney Tunes.

This is like 2018 all over again, as the channel brings a lot of classics back on the schedule including classic Cartoon Network shows, Smurfs, Jetsons, and Flintstones.

Also, back in February 2023, there's an error that happened where Boomerang keeps playing the first two season episodes of Flintstones all over again, however, the episode of the sixth season "The Long, Long, Long, Weekend" still plays instead of the first season episode "The Long, Long Weekend". I hope the error could fix anytime soon.

Anyways, the 1980's episodes of the Jetsons returned to the Boomerang schedule back in June 2023 after it failed to get a chance to air in the July to November 2018's run. It last aired on television was early March 2017. Some episodes aired 16:9 stretched, while most of it aired 4:3 pillarboxed, and some episodes aired as the WB restored prints rather than Turner prints.
Jabberjaw and Taz-Mania aired 4:3 pillarboxed as well.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts