Boomerang (US) News & Discussion II: Rebrand

Moe

On the other hand, Cartoonito seems to be a long-term project
I found out that Latin America has Tooncast that air classic animated shows that what Boomerang did in the past, so WarnerMedia see Boomerang in Latin America as duplicate and unnecessary, so they just rebrand as Cartoonito and viewers can still enjoy classic shows on Tooncast.

In the US, if assume that Warner-Discovery merger is approved, so there is good opportunity for Discovery Family to be rebrand as Cartoonito or Boomerang to be rebrand as Cartoonito, so classic shows could move to Discovery Family, so DF may get new name.

New Tom and Jerry, Scooby-Doo and Looney Tunes shows should to air on CN instead of dump in Boomerang.

Last edited:

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
For me, I have a significant doubt that Boomerang in the US is going to be rebrand as Cartoonito because of timeframe, often classified as higher, expensive tier, strong competition and not carried by most cable companies, also some IPTV like YouTube TV and FuboTV don't carry either. Nick Jr and Disney Junior are successful preschool blocks for many years that led to make easier for cable companies to carry but since Cartoonito is new and WarnerMedia doesn't have much experience to handle with preschool shows, so cable companies are less inclined to carry this channel, also decline of cable make worse and they would rather to simplify their package to make customer friendly. The strong competition from Nick Jr and Disney Junior could drown Cartoonito out if run as separate channel.

WarnerMedia is better off to run Cartoonito as block on CN like they do with Adult Swim.

I'm not going to compare with international markets because they have different needs, goals and interests. There are stuffs work well in Europe or Latin America but not in the US, also there are different laws, regulations, agreements and contracts in play like UK has strict regulation on TV channels than in the US. In the US, it is depends on shareholders and investors, so if they find Cartoonito to be very profitable, so it is certainly that WarnerMedia will launch this quickly to make shareholders happy. There is problem - cable is declining so shareholders are less optimistic about new live channels, so they want WarnerMedia to focus and expand the HBO Max instead. There are tons of lobbyists in the US that you don't see in other countries.

Those are my honest opinion.
I agree 1000%

In the US, if assume that Warner-Discovery merger is approved, so there is good opportunity for Discovery Family to be rebrand as Cartoonito or Boomerang to be rebrand as Cartoonito, so classic shows could move to Discovery Family, so DF may get new name.
Well, if Hasbro were to be okay with it or not, who knows.

Markus Nelis

I don't think they should risk to change Boomerang to a completely different Cartoonito channel a 24/7 one just because TV viewership decline and not every provider carries Boomerang so just have Boomerang like it is and be a backup of CN like it is now: pretty much CN 2.0 like NickToons is currently a Nick 2.0.

Moe

Well, if Hasbro were to be okay with it or not, who knows.
I forgot about Hasbro's part and if Hasbro objects to any changes on DF, so Warner-Discovery like to cease DF to exist or sell entire to Hasbro, so Hasbro can have 100% channel.

but it isn't lose situation, Warner-Discovery could take one slot of Cinemax and rebrand as Cartoonito, so Cinemax is carried by almost providers, so it shouldn't hard to do it. Cinemax is getting useless as many contents moved to HBO Max. It is either Boomerang, DF or HBO/Cinemax channel slot.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
I forgot about Hasbro's part and if Hasbro objects to any changes on DF, so Warner-Discovery like to cease DF to exist or sell entire to Hasbro, so Hasbro can have 100% channel.
Or Hasbro ripped up their contact with Discovery, and have Discovery took over Discovery Family as being a TLC Extra dumping ground for the rest of its existence.

I don't know, is Hasbro's partnership with Discovery is about to be over? I haven't heard any updates about it.

jokerbeans2091

Or Hasbro ripped up their contact with Discovery, and have Discovery took over Discovery Family as being a TLC Extra dumping ground for the rest of its existence.

I don't know, is Hasbro's partnership with Discovery is about to be over? I haven't heard any updates about it.

i hope they do it DF once the warner bros discovery merger is complete tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silverstar

Jet Flyin', Limousine Ridin'
AFAIK, Hasbro's partnership with Discovery will expire next year, but that's not a guarantee that Discovery's going to get up off their buns and transform Discovery Family. Discovery seems to be okay with having junk channels just taking up space on the airwaves and borrowing shows from other Discovery networks (ex: Destination America, Cooking Channel and the ironically named Discovery Life); it's likely they'll just keep DF around as is as long as it's bringing in some profit.

However, yesterday I was reading an article about how Discovery's new CEO really wants to make a dent in the industry, so we'll just have to see what they have in store once the Warner/Discovery merger is complete.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
AFAIK, Hasbro's partnership with Discovery will expire next year, but that's not a guarantee that Discovery's going to get up off their buns and transform Discovery Family. Discovery seems to be okay with having junk channels just taking up space on the airwaves and borrowing shows from other Discovery networks (ex: Destination America, Cooking Channel and the ironically named Discovery Life); it's likely they'll just keep DF around as is as long as it's bringing in some profit.

However, yesterday I was reading an article about how Discovery's new CEO really wants to make a dent in the industry, so we'll just have to see what they have in store once the Warner/Discovery merger is complete.
I understand.

Markus Nelis

And one of those channels might be Boomerang to shut down.

Let's face it, CN is airing classic Christmas specials and Boomerang seems to not celebrate it. The channel looks to be completely on autopilot since they hardly even make schedule changes currently. They're airing old content on CN rather than Boomerang already gives a hint that Boomerang, the channel who used to air classic Christmas shows before have moved to CN.

I really do think Boomerang is one of those channels to shut down. CN is giving classic shows some airtime sure came as a surprise since they haven't done that for a very long time but I think that's clearly the first sign that Boomerang will probably shut down.

Why keep the channel. If CN can premiere something like a new Scooby movie or series, they could simply air all this stuff on CN (or HBO Max). Plus remember that Boomerang content is available on HBO Max so I don't think we'll lose a lot.

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
I heard that once the Warner-Discovery merger is completed, some channels will be merged or shut down.
I believe that, and I also believe that amongst the channels to be shut down will be either Boomerang or Discovery Family, or possibly both. It's my personal belief that Hasbro doesn't care about Disc Fam anymore. They have no announced plans to run any premieres on the channel and at this point, they're likely just looking at the calendar waiting for their contract with Discovery to run out. There is the possibility of Boom and DF merging into a single channel, but if there won't be any new, original programming on said channel, I don't see the point of a merger between the two. WB and Discovery combining two zombie channels into a single zombie channel seems pointless to me. I think that it's better if both channels were to shut down and Boom just goes back to being a program block on Cartoon Network, although I'm sure that WB wouldn't be interested in doing that. They'd most likely make Boomerang a window on HBO Max.

I'm going to keep it 100% here: I never thought that Boomerang needed to become its own separate channel. Boom's been on autopilot for years, and WB should either remake the channel into something else, or just let Boom ride off into the sunset.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
I heard that once the Warner-Discovery merger is completed, some channels will be merged or shut down.
If that's the case, then I'm hoping it's true.

I believe that, and I also believe that amongst the channels to be shut down will be either Boomerang or Discovery Family, or possibly both.
I'm hoping for both.

It's my personal belief that Hasbro doesn't care about Disc Fam anymore. They have no announced plans to run any premieres on the channel and at this point, they're likely just looking at the calendar waiting for their contract with Discovery to run out.
Yeah, and if Hasbro's recent investor meeting are any indication, they just wanted to pretend Discovery Family does not exist. And you're right, they are just waiting for their contract to run out so they can be done with Discovery as soon as possible. Hasbro would be rather spending their time producing content for streaming services such as MLP G5 on Netflix rather than Discovery Family. Quite frankly, I don't blame them.

There is the possibility of Boom and DF merging into a single channel, but if there won't be any new, original programming on said channel, I don't see the point of a merger between the two. WB and Discovery combining two zombie channels into a single zombie channel seems pointless to me.
I doubt they're gonna merge Boomerang and Discovery Family either. It'll be like the kids version of The CW, except in reverse.

I think that it's better if both channels were to shut down and Boom just goes back to being a program block on Cartoon Network, although I'm sure that WB wouldn't be interested in doing that. They'd most likely make Boomerang a window on HBO Max.
Me too.

I'm going to keep it 100% here: I never thought that Boomerang needed to become its own separate channel. Boom's been on autopilot for years, and WB should either remake the channel into something else, or just let Boom ride off into the sunset.
I'm going for the latter. Boomerang had a good thing going back when it launched, but now it's time to put it to rest.

Moe

Hasbro: Stare at Discovery Family and it is already dead.
Hasbro: Pulled all our contents so DF goes off air from 5 am to 5 pm, so walk away...
Viewers: tuned to Discovery Family and whoa... it is off air so we don't know.
Viewers: Check the DVR and none of TV shows recorded...
Viewers: Oh wait, DF came on at 5 pm so we guess that cable fixed it.
Viewers: Next day, tuned to DF at 6 am and it is off air so what is wrong with our cable.
JMTV: Hi all ASH members, DF seems off air, hmm...
Comcast: There is no problem with our cable so maybe... call Discovery.
Spectrum: We noticed that DF is off air from 5 am to 5 pm.
Cox: Same issue too.
Discovery: What??? Let us to investigate.
Viewers: Hurry up, our kids love GI Joe and Little Pony.
Discovery: We discovered that Hasbro withdrew and pulled contents.
Discovery: Hasbro!!! Where are you? We need talk to you.
Hasbro: *silent* and we are too busy to develop new toys.
Discovery: Ugh... we are going to find a replacement, perhaps, re-run of House Hunters or 600 lbs.
Viewers: No, we want Hasbro back.
Discovery: Hasbro abandoned it so we are going to ask Warner Bros for syndication rights for H-B and WB animated shows.
Warner Bros: Your request is granted and gave contents to Discovery.
ASH members: Oh wow!!! DF is getting better and better.
Discovery: It looks like rating improves, that's positive.
Hasbro: Whoa, I thought it was all dead...
Discovery: Hasbro, you are better off to stay with Netflix.

It is just my imagine. :D

It is very sad to see Boomerang not air Christmas contents.

Moe

Kooplecrap Me

Cartoonist,Love Fries, Inactive YouTuber
So as expected, Boomerang won't be doing anything for Christmas according to CN Schedule Archive. So I think the channel should just shut down already. If they don't bother changing their schedule next month, then honestly, I don't know what to say anymore about the channel

Moe

Funny, Boomerang streaming service has Christmas playlists but none on Boomerang live channel.

I thought that Hulu included Boomerang in primary tier would help with rating but I was wrong with this.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts