Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
1631419872566.png
1631419879261.png

1631420532675.png

Opening: Grandeur by Snow Man
Ending: Beautiful by Treasure

Last Time: Dante explains that the Triad require magic from both Yami and Vangeance in order to bring the demons from the Underworld over to the human world. Meanwhile, Charmy and Leopold fight against two disciples; Charmy defeats her opponent after transforming into her adult body while Leopold endures his opponent's attacks as he crafts a massive attack that gets him the win. Finally, Vanica breaks into the throne room.

This Time: Vanica reveals a nasty surprise regarding the Disciples.

NOTES: Like always, no spoilers! Thanks!

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Great. Sic an obese pervy fanboy on a bunch of teenage girls. This will be fun to watch.

Getting some quite discomforting Sword Art Online flashbacks here...

marklungo

Greetings from Honneamise
So last week's hard-won victories are nullified because the main villain has made herself and her flunkies immortal. I hope next time she learns that cheaters never win.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Another new Black Bull? Yami sure is busy despite being in the john all the time. Hmm. Although, he could be someone that we've met from many of the other groups that's never been brought up with the Bulls. Kirsch with the Coral Peacocks. That guy Zora beat up and impersonated to get into royal knights exam. Langris then Yuno with Golden Dawn. He could be Yami's Vice Captain. Or just some spy he sent to Heart pre-series and be a deus ex machina. Eh, idk, I'm 50:50 on either guess.

Oh, of course. Vanica gave all the disciples auto-Phoenix Downs. A good plot device to keep all the other knights preoccupied.

Noelle's new spell is...uh, even more revealing... :eek:

Didn't think Vanica would lose that easy despite being impaled through. And got a terrible feeling Secre's spell will not work either.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
We have another villain who's a social Darwinist trying to kill all the weak so the strong may survive. Isn't the motivation of every villain group except the elves? I was hoping the show would get more create with villain motivations after the elves broke from the social Darwinist mold, but these guys go back to it. Another interesting thing is that this arc seems to have more blood in it than the rest of the show combined. It seemed like the early episodes would be okay with American kids' TV (except the violent scene where Mars was in a Battle Royale scenario), but it's obvious why kids' channels don't bother with shonen anymore. Black Clover is still that okay shonen that's decent for background noise, but it's
still not as good as its contemporaries. When Jujutsu Kaisen came out, I was wondering if that would be the show that Black Clover can actually surpass, but then the Mahito Arc happened and I realized, nope, this show is also better than Black Clover. Chainsaw Man is probably going to be better than Black Clover. Just what battle shonen can Black Clover compete with?

marklungo

The show has a few likable heroes (Yami, Gordon, Secre, Lolopechka) and some well-done fight scenes, but the good stuff takes a long time to get to and is surrounded by a lot of annoying characters and general mediocrity, so for a lot of people it's just not worth the time.

TerraKnight

Noelle, Secre, and Lolopechka; you got this!

We have another villain who's a social Darwinist trying to kill all the weak so the strong may survive. Isn't the motivation of every villain group except the elves? I was hoping the show would get more create with villain motivations after the elves broke from the social Darwinist mold, but these guys go back to it. Another interesting thing is that this arc seems to have more blood in it than the rest of the show combined. It seemed like the early episodes would be okay with American kids' TV (except the violent scene where Mars was in a Battle Royale scenario), but it's obvious why kids' channels don't bother with shonen anymore. Black Clover is still that okay shonen that's decent for background noise, but it's
still not as good as its contemporaries. When Jujutsu Kaisen came out, I was wondering if that would be the show that Black Clover can actually surpass, but then the Mahito Arc happened and I realized, nope, this show is also better than Black Clover. Chainsaw Man is probably going to be better than Black Clover. Just what battle shonen can Black Clover compete with?

Don't forget that Dark Triad are the Zogratis siblings who share the same goals in plundering the world with destructive devils just for their evil amusement and are possessed by top-tier devils who are working with them.

BC and Chainsaw Man are apples and oranges because they may be Shonen Jump series but they are different.

The show has a few likable heroes (Yami, Gordon, Secre, Lolopechka) and some well-done fight scenes, but the good stuff takes a long time to get to and is surrounded by a lot of annoying characters and general mediocrity, so for a lot of people it's just not worth the time.

Saying it has a few likeable heroes is kind of disingenuous judging from the latest popularity poll on the recent issue this week with Noelle winning the most votes that was done online. Second being Asta who's usually No. 1 and third being [REDACTED] despite being a fresh character.

marklungo

Saying it has a few likeable heroes is kind of disingenuous judging from the latest popularity poll on the recent issue this week with Noelle winning the most votes that was done online. Second being Asta who's usually No. 1 and third being [REDACTED] despite being a fresh character.
Let me clarify something. I'm saying that the show has only a handful of characters who are likeable to me. Obviously fans who are into the show and have different sensibilities from mine will appreciate Asta, Noelle and the rest more than I do.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yeah, I think each of the Triad has their own reasons for agreeing to the plan. Vanica thinks it's Darwinism and thinks it will be fun for her cuz she's a psychopath. I'm pretty sure Dante at least hinted his reasoning is the purify the world or something and he got bored with life. I think the overall motivation of the Dark Triad is more nihilistic than past big bads on the show. They're doing it because they can and will have a little fun along the way. And unlike the majority of the past big bads, there's no redeeming qualities to them. They're not going to turn over a new leaf.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter

The issue is just how many better competitors there are out there. Demon Slayer and Jujutsu Kaisen have raised the bar high enough to make most Black Clover fights look tame in comparison. So far, the fights in this arc have been at least solid, but not really spectacular. The Charmy fight was maybe the most entertaining because of how ridiculous it was. Granted, there are those few standout fights in the series as a whole that stand up pretty well even in the age of those aforementioned series. I hear the current Yami vs Dante fight is supposed to be the best in the entire series. I guess we can look forward to it unpausing and seeing what the hype is all about. Okay, I did just think of one battle shonen Black Clover might actually be better than. Studio Pierrot is able to make a decent battle shonen even with a year round schedule, but the best fights of Seven Deadly Sins seasons 3 and 4 are probably not as good as the worst Black Clover fight. Here's an excerpt from one of the lowlights (spoiler warning)

TerraKnight

Yeah, I think each of the Triad has their own reasons for agreeing to the plan. Vanica thinks it's Darwinism and thinks it will be fun for her cuz she's a psychopath. I'm pretty sure Dante at least hinted his reasoning is the purify the world or something and he got bored with life. I think the overall motivation of the Dark Triad is more nihilistic than past big bads on the show. They're doing it because they can and will have a little fun along the way. And unlike the majority of the past big bads, there's no redeeming qualities to them. They're not going to turn over a new leaf.

Hence why they are named the Dark Triad after the three psychological antisocial traits.

Dante: Narcissism.
Vanica: Psychopathy.
Zenon: Machiavellianism.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts