C&C - Made in Abyss - "Poison and the Curse" [3/19]

Nobodyman

Ack! Even without the spoiler ban, I'd be afraid to ask. I just hope the end of the story has a huge payoff to make the characters' suffering worth it.
Unfortunately, we'll probably all be waiting a while for that. The manga is still ongoing and at a pretty slow pace with a chapter being released about once every three months.
Figures it takes a ten-year-old girl bleeding from every orifice to spark some interest in one of these threads.
That's our generation for ya. We're so desensitized our media just has to be totally bananas to get a reaction out of us.

WickedChild

Kissing the shadows
Figures it takes a ten-year-old girl bleeding from every orifice to spark some interest in one of these threads.

Nitpicking, but she is in fact 12, the orphanage guy says it in I think episode 2.

Wait, so Dawn of the Deep Soul is a canon movie picks up where this season ends? Like Mugen Train for Demon Slayer?

As others replied, yes, it picks up directly from the last episode of this season. It's basically the next major story arc. But I do think it's important to point out that unlike Mugen Train, Deep Soul is produced as, and plays as, a movie, that is to say it feels like more than just the next 6 episodes played back-to-back. It has the flow of an actual movie and it's more cinematic overall I would argue, and works better as a theatrical film release. I do like Mugen Train, but it is produced like the TV show, it looks and feels like episodes of the TV show, which granted is still pretty high quality, but I wouldn't call it "cinematic".

I mention this because I wish we'd see this kind of thing more often - that is, a cinematic-quality theatrical film in-canon to an existing series, either as a conclusion or something that takes place at a pivotal story point. This kind of thing is truly rare and I think it really elevates the impact a series can have. I don't think Evangelion would have had anywhere near the long-lasting impact it did if it wasn't for the cinematic nature of End of Eva.

And not just in the anime world either. Both X-Files and Twin Peaks made brilliant use of the medium of cinema to elevate their stories. I know we live in a world where TV and streaming series often get blockbuster-level budgets, and movie theaters are kind of dying, but I still wish we'd see it happen. It can make something feel like an event, especially when pop culture is so fractured now, and even when something is very high production quality it can feel like not a big deal when it comes to Netflix and barely makes a blip and is forgotten.

Cool. Knock wood there's a season 2 and Toonami gets to air it.

Second season is confirmed for release this year, and probably soon, as they released a long trailer back in November. Don't watch the trailer yet till you see the rest of the season and movie though. Who knows about Toonami though - have they confirmed Yashahime season 2 yet? We know how long Assassination Classroom took. The movie is probably out of the question, at least at this point.

Last edited:

PicardMan

Staff member
As others replied, yes, it picks up directly from the last episode of this season. It's basically the next major story arc. But I do think it's important to point out that unlike Mugen Train, Deep Soul is produced as, and plays as, a movie, that is to say it feels like more than just the next 6 episodes played back-to-back. It has the flow of an actual movie and it's more cinematic overall I would argue, and works better as a theatrical film release. I do like Mugen Train, but it is produced like the TV show, it looks and feels like episodes of the TV show, which granted is still pretty high quality, but I wouldn't call it "cinematic".

That television style pacing could probably also apply to the Jujutsu Kaisen movie too, but that movie was also pretty solid. The Made in Abyss movie might be one of the best movie adaptations of a seinen manga ever, and that has far more competition than shonen manga, as Castle of Cagliostro, Akira, and Ghost in the Shell are its competition.

The movie is probably out of the question, at least at this point.

Demarco did say that anime movies are back on the table and he said this around the time Made in Abyss was announced. Maybe there's hope.

SpaceCowboy

That scene with Riko was... hard to watch.

Finally, the bunny girl in the ED shows up and sounds similar to Konata from the Lucky Star dub.

PicardMan

Staff member
Finally, the bunny girl in the ED shows up and sounds similar to Konata from the Lucky Star dub.

Actually, the bunny's voice is Brittney Karbowski, who has been in a lot of Toonami shows. She was Black Star in Soul Eater, Pride in Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Migi in Parasyte, and Hisako from Food Wars.

WickedChild

Kissing the shadows
And Hitch in Attack on Titan. Minor character but her performance makes her memorable I think. Admittedly I'm kind of a fanboy. Can't get enough of Brittney K's voice.

SpaceCowboy

Actually, the bunny's voice is Brittney Karbowski, who has been in a lot of Toonami shows. She was Black Star in Soul Eater, Pride in Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Migi in Parasyte, and Hisako from Food Wars.
Yes. I meant the voice Brittney Karbowski uses for Nanachi sounds like the character suffers from the same nasal congestion as Wendee Lee's Konata.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

CNC
Another family emergency update (long story short):

After charging in and out of the hospital a few more times, my mother had to do a colonoscopy earlier this month and they detected colon cancer. So yesterday, she underwent colon surgery and is now 100% cancer-free.

Now she's in the ICU due to very low blood pressure, still in the process of recovery.
"Crabgrass" is coming back and also in newspapers from Monday, it's a great comic strip if you've not checked it out, you should. “Crabgrass” Will Officially Launch in Newspapers on Monday | GoComics.com
Why does society keep devolving for the last century or so, why is America 50 years behind where it should’ve been? And anybody who tries to makes things better will be swept under the rug or get screwed over by cancer or disease.

I hate to get political here especially but for what happened today I can’t help
Just sending out hearts and hugs to anyone who needs them on this awful day. You're not alone.
Hi, new profile picture I guess

Featured Posts