C&C - Made in Abyss - "The Challengers" - *season finale* [4/9]

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
A brief look at a place other than Orth and it looks harsh...

Well, at least one raider working for Bondrewd had a conscience. But I guess there's no HR to file a grievance with.

Ah, can see why Mitty took to Riko. Pretty similar abundance of optimism despite all odds. Nanachi valued their friendship so much, she was her treasure. :crying:

Oooo, the "kill me" moment. So brutal. :crying:

Well, Reg was really happy to see Riko again.

All those signatures are the children he's experimented on. Okay, I think we all know why Nanachi is coming along with Riko and Reg. And it's not to hear Bondrewd's gratitude.

One question I got is Bondrewd doing this in secret or are the other whistles aware of it and turning a blind eye because he is learning new things about the Abyss?

WickedChild

Kissing the shadows
One question I got is Bondrewd doing this in secret or are the other whistles aware of it and turning a blind eye because he is learning new things about the Abyss?

In the seeker camp, Ozen, when telling them to avoid the other white whistles who were in the 5th layer, described Bondrewd as "an out an out reckless scoundrel" in her standard bemused tone of speaking. This rather, um, "understated" assessment can be read as one of 2 possibilities. Either Ozen knows that Bondrewd is up to some dodgy stuff but doesn't know the extent of it, just writing off what she does know of his proclivities as the normal effect of what one has to go through to become a white whistle. Or, she IS aware of what he's up to, but again the effect of the abyss on people who have spent a long time in the lower depths has desensitized Ozen to that kind of thing, and likely the other white whistles as well, though maybe to varying degrees. The "loss of humanity" was the primary effect known to the 5th layer after all. I would go with the latter, as it would explain why Ozen is the way she is after all.

Nobodyman

And that was the first season of Made in Abyss. You know, I love anime, but it's shows like this that make me want to go up to Japan and say, "Hey buddy. Everything okay? Anything you wanna talk about?"

So, I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or whatever, but I think this episode (and to an extent the few episodes that came before it) are the main reason people remember this show. Up until now, I think it had just been a fairly serviceable adventure story. Great animation, mind you, but I found Riko and Reg and the story to not be all that memorable. But this episode? Yeah, there's no forgetting this.

Don Bluth once famously said something to the effect of "Kids can handle bad times for a movie's hero, as long as the film ends happily." But in Roger Ebert's review of his film, An American Tail, he rebutted with "That may be so, but the hero of "An American Tail,"...is made to undergo such hardships in this movie that the children in the audience may despair long before the happy ending." Now, granted, Made in Abyss is not a film (well, what we just watched isn't) nor is it intended for children, but I think the sentiment still stands. Especially since this a long-running story that will likely continue for years and we have no idea if these characters will have a happy ending for a long time.

The point being, frankly, it's all a bit much for me. I mean, I get we're supposed to be sad and disturbed at what happens in this story, but I have a particularly strong aversion to human suffering. Especially suffering of children. And for me this is just too much of a drain on my emotions. That said, I actually did end up reading the next arc in the manga (and yeah, there's definitely more messed up stuff to come) and a little bit of the one after that, but after that I just had to stop. I still check in now and then to get an idea of where the story is at because, hey, I guess I'm still invested enough I'd like to know what ultimately happens to these characters.

So, I guess I have to give this show credit that it least managed to do that for me. And hey, at the end of the day it's just a show. If you all enjoyed it and the emotional stuff wasn't too overwhelming for you, then I'm happy for you and you're obviously made of sterner stuff than me. But, needless to say, if Toonami does ever air the movie or the second season, I probably won't be watching them either.

marklungo

Greetings from Honneamise
...if Toonami does ever air the movie or the second season, I probably won't be watching them either.
I can't blame you, although I'll probably continue with the series if Toonami does. Still, as I wrote before, I have to wonder: what's the point of all this suffering? Is anything retrieved from the Abyss worth all the horrors the characters have been through? I know the manga's still ongoing, so it'll be a while before the anime finishes, but this story had better have a huge emotional payoff at the end.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
In the seeker camp, Ozen, when telling them to avoid the other white whistles who were in the 5th layer, described Bondrewd as "an out an out reckless scoundrel" in her standard bemused tone of speaking. This rather, um, "understated" assessment can be read as one of 2 possibilities. Either Ozen knows that Bondrewd is up to some dodgy stuff but doesn't know the extent of it, just writing off what she does know of his proclivities as the normal effect of what one has to go through to become a white whistle. Or, she IS aware of what he's up to, but again the effect of the abyss on people who have spent a long time in the lower depths has desensitized Ozen to that kind of thing, and likely the other white whistles as well, though maybe to varying degrees. The "loss of humanity" was the primary effect known to the 5th layer after all. I would go with the latter, as it would explain why Ozen is the way she is after all.
Thanks for reminding me of that. Will have to rewatch that 'debrief' scene, she did mention a couple things about the white whistles.

Or perhaps Bondrewd was already a scoundrel before he became a whistle.

SpaceCowboy

What a dark series (though not the darkest anime I've seen). It reminded me a little of Pan's Labyrinth or something else Guillermo del Toro directed. The subject of losing humanity is also a theme I've encountered before in countless Japanese media outside of their animation like theater plays, literature, and live-action films.

I liked how Riko's dream of communicating with Mitty before her death brought closure to Nanachi's guilt.
And that was the first season of Made in Abyss. You know, I love anime, but it's shows like this that make me want to go up to Japan and say, "Hey buddy. Everything okay? Anything you wanna talk about?"
They'd probably reply asking the same thing about Rick & Morty and Robot Chicken.

Last edited:

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Would anyone argue if I called this a horror series? It's not scary ALL THE TIME but the mere concept of it is creepy and there were some pretty disturbing visuals toward the end. But ifyou enjoyed yourself, there's good news: now you can live it!

Yes, you can travel to the Abyss yourself with the upcoming video game based on the first season. It's coming to PS4 and Switch and there will be a physical edition, with collectors' stuff.

And yes, it's got an M, for violence and gore, so I take it we get to the part we just saw.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Don Bluth once famously said something to the effect of "Kids can handle bad times for a movie's hero, as long as the film ends happily." But in Roger Ebert's review of his film, An American Tail, he rebutted with "That may be so, but the hero of "An American Tail,"...is made to undergo such hardships in this movie that the children in the audience may despair long before the happy ending."
Are you sure that was about An American Tail and not The Land Before Time? No one dies in American Tail. The worst of it is that Fievel is separated from his family, and he has a lot of song and dance numbers while that's going on. Littlefoot goes through hell and a half. I mean, if the quote is accurate and Roge had a problem with the first movie, just wait...

marklungo

Greetings from Honneamise
Are you sure that was about An American Tail and not The Land Before Time? No one dies in American Tail. The worst of it is that Fievel is separated from his family, and he has a lot of song and dance numbers while that's going on. Littlefoot goes through hell and a half. I mean, if the quote is accurate and Roge had a problem with the first movie, just wait...
Nope, it was An American Tail all right.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I see a lot of new characters in this trailer, but none of the originals. Do Riko, Reg and Nanachi appear in this season?
Yes, that has been confirmed. I think the implication is a few episodes might be flashback/backstory on the new location/characters. Sort of like this season 2 finale and the movie.

Here's trailer #1 for season 2 if you haven't seen it:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Notable moment from The Rock.
The time when Gunther spoke Dutch in Friends.
Eurbane wrote on Ghostbuster's profile.
Nickelodeon hasen’t done much with premieres recently.
When you first learn that teenage characters are voiced by people over 30.
Kevin-Hart.jpg
Am I the only person here that is obsessed with concert setlists? For some reason, I just really enjoy keeping track of what bands and artists play live on a regular basis. My obsession did earn me a mod position on setlist.fm a long time ago, which I will always be proud of.

Featured Posts