C&C - My Hero Academia - "More of a Hero Than Anyone" [9/11]

Nobodyman

9pRVtWz.png
FfoZcwO.png

Opening Theme: "Merry-Go-Round" by Man with a Mission
Ending Theme: "Uso ja nai" by Soshi Sakiyama

1631378967110.png

Previously on My Hero Academia: Fuyumi explains to Midoriya and Bakugo that Natsu was very close to Toya, causing him to blame Endeavor for his brother's death. Eventually the time comes for Endeavor to bring the trio back to U.A. The car is soon attacked by street whitelines, controlled by a villain named "Ending", with Natsu held hostage. Ending emotionally explains that heroes can't kill, but since Endeavor had to kill the High-End Nomu, he can do it again. Natsu’s scared face causes Endeavor to hesitate. Ending launches nearby cars into the air, and hangs Natsu in front of a moving train. Bakugo saves Natsu, Midoriya uses Blackwhip to grab the cars, and Todoroki captures Ending. After hugging Natsu, Endeavor apologizes to him as he never intended on avoiding his kids, but still ran away from his responsibilities. Natsu has no intention of ever forgiving him and Endeavor says it's okay since he just wants to atone. In the post-credits, Endeavor decides the best thing he can do for his family is to ensure they live happily without him.

Tonight: When an unsettling discovery is made regarding Kurogiri, Aizawa and Present Mic are summoned to interrogate him.

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
So, this episode is the one that makes me wish Bones would do an anime adaptation of the Vigilantes spinoff manga, as this is one of the rare moments where the main series actually acknowledges something that happened in its spinoff. I'd even argue that what's revealed is only really effective if you've read the arc of that series that this episode links back to.

So I recommend reading chapters 59-65 of MHA Vigilantes if you want to know more about the blue haired kid in the picture above (59-65 is a self-contained arc, so don't worry about having to read the preceding 58 chapters first). Actually, I recommend reading Vigilantes in general, it's a very underrated series.

Last edited:

Nobodyman

Previously on MHA: Nothing like a life-threatening situation to bring a family back together.

"The shape of the Todoroki family was about to change."
It used to be circular, now it's going to become more oblong.

Why is Ashido holding a toilet seat?

"I'm not keeping it because I like him or anything, baka!"

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Last time: Abusers are losers.

And more classroom antics.

Iida is a kiss-up...

That's like finding out you're into comic books.

What now? Are they invading a nursery full of toddlers with quirks?

Last edited:

Nobodyman

It's shadow man. Been a while, huh?

Oh my gosh! He's this guy that you would only know if you've read MHA Vigilantes! (which I have not).

So a Nomu can be a huge bulky brain monster or a shadow person. 'Kay.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Albino Midoriya.

Uggh. Teacher flashback episode. The ones on Naruto are so boring.

They attack UA because they find the wide assortment of quirks interesting.
The gratuitous slaughter of high school students is just a bonus.

GEARLESS JOE! NOOOO!

Nobodyman

In other words, they're going to have to Power of Friendship the crap out of this.

"We could be heroes...just for one day."

Kurogiri is glitching out.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Feels like that one scene from Death Note.

You can't just expel any student you don't like! Where do you think you are, Totsuki Academy?

"We can be heroes!"
Just for one day!

This concludes his broadcast day.

"I am...I am..."
You are what? Spartacus? Weasel? Curious yellow or blue? Brian (and if so, is your wife as well)?

Wine? Grapes? Notes? You're mixing your metaphors, man.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yikes, it got dark fast. So a close friend of Eraser Head and Present Mic was turned into a Nomu that happened to be Kurogiri, the warp gate guy, all along. Aw man, he got his goggles from him... Man, that got soul crushing. Though I guess a sliver of hope when Shirakumo did come forward. Might have to check out that manga. Seems like he was the Mirio or Deku of that trinity.

So a hospital. A doctor is behind making the Nomus. Makes sense. It's starting to sound like the Nomus are just failed experiments weaponized by All for One in his quest to unlock a method to create a gestalt body that can house many Quirks without a side effect of making a monstrous deformity. And it's all to make Shigaraki the ultimate host body for All For One to transfer his soul into and be reborn. Since we know his body was wrecked after fighting All Might, he just wants to be back to 100% again. Suffice to say, NOT GOOD.

EDIT: Just dawned on me, an episode where 2 adults have to relieve a painful memory of a friend who died in a building collapse had to air on September 11 of all nights.

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
I thought that this episode was really good. Midoriya mentioning that their first year felt like it has been going so fast reminded me of how so much has happened to them within less than a year in-universe. That's not unusual for anime, especially shonen series, but it felt so weird to point it out. It was cute to see some of the Class A interactions again. Bakugo throwing one of his spikes at Midoryia for being proud of his accomplishment was admittedly pretty funny, especially when he still had it in the next scene. Uraraka claims that she just wanted to keep a hold of that gift, but she clearly still has feelings for Midoryia. I felt bad for All Might that no one really paid attention to his joke. The cotton candy pun might have made more sense in Japanese, but I still thought it was funny. He did look pretty sad when they were asking about Aizawa, so maybe he'll feel a bit underappreciated among the students.

Despite how they brought up a pretty big element of Aizawa and Present Mic's past in the form of Shirakumo, I still think it worked for a few reasons. For starters, the twist with Kurogiri being a Nomu was bot surprising and horrifying. He's never acted like any of the Nomu we've seen, even the one who was talking while fighting against Endeavor, and because of how this universe works, the idea that a kid suddenly became a shadow monster seemed believable. The fact that they used a corpse of a student to make Kurogiri was just so unsettling. Based on how old Aizawa and Present Mic are, I assume that this happened about twenty years ago, so the idea that All For One has been working on his plan for that long and has been affecting UA even before the series began is horriying. They clearly don't care about anyone or anything if they have no problem using the body of a hero in training like that. Although, I'm surprised that UA seemingly didn't get any bad press from Shirakumo's death, but the blame could have been put on the agency he was working for at the time.

It also worked because of how much this clearly impacted Aizawa. He is usually pretty reserved, calm and in control, but being in this position where the body of a friend he dearly cared about was twisted into a monster broke him. This was the most emotional Aizawa has been in the series thus far and that helped to make the twist more emotionally effective. It also expanded more on Aizawa's behavior. Seeing his friend die right before his eyes was obviously deeply traumatic. It affected how he treats his students. He can be quite harsh, but Aizawa has shown that he cares about them too. He wants to push them to the best of their abilities, but he also doesn't want them to go so far as to put their lives in danger, which would also explain why he wasn't thrilled with Midoriya using his Quirk to hurt himself so much in the first few seasons. Shirakumo only had a few scenes, but his upbeat personality bounced off Aizawa's more reserved attitude and it did feel like they were a good group of friends. The fact that Aizawa's goggles were inspired by Shirakumo was also a nice touch.

On a lesser degree, it also worked because it gave Present Mic something to do. It felt like he hasn't really done anything besides being the announcer of different characters' Quirks since season two, so having him be so upset over this news and trying to reawaken Shirakumo was just refreshing. With the way they described their friendship and how much his death impacted them, it made me wish that we could have seen a bit more of his flashback. The fact that All For One used Shirakumo's body to create Kurogiri also makes me wonder if they planned for his death. Aizawa said that Shirakumo made one mistake that cost him his life, but I just wonder if there was more to it than that.

Aizawa and Present Mic crying out to Shirakumo was still emotionally effective due to what they showed of their friendship and especially because it made Aizawa much more vulnerable than he's ever been. Plus, I also liked how they were talking about how the three of them could still be heroes. Even when the police officer was trying to ask questions, the brief image of Shirakumo only responded to Aizawa. He is still dead, but part of Shirakumo's soul or consciousness could still exist within Kurogiri. It was only one word, but it might have given them enough to go on. Hawk certainly seemed confident after they informed him about it and we saw a doctor experimenting on Shigaraki as well. Overall, this was a really good episode.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts