C&C - Primal - Season One Talkback

Anyone00

The Moltar-Snork
I don't think so. They made it rather difficult for her to return again. I mean the level of technology Spear is at... he was amazed by the bow and arrow. There's no way he could build a boat for just himself, much less Fang. And he wouldn't know the first thing about navigation. It's probably more likely they will run into the slavers in a separate skirmish and maybe he'll see the scorpion symbol and remember Mira.

Yeah, Spear is going to be in for a big surprise when he tries to use a stone tipped weapon against an opponent in iron scale mail w/ a helmet.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yeah, Spear is going to be in for a big surprise when he tries to use a stone tipped weapon against an opponent in iron scale mail w/ a helmet.
True. And at least now we know it's not 1:1 with "Dino Boy in the Lost Valley" and we won't be having any guest stars named Todd. ;)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Genddy Tartakovsky's Primal "Slave Of The Scorpion"

And just like that, that's my favorite episode.

I don't know how many people who just enjoy the carnage of this show fully appreciate how unique Mira is not just as a character, but as an element to the show. She is like no other being Spear and Fang have ever faced. She isn't trying to kill them, and they aren't trying to kill her. Think over these last ten episodes. She is literally the first character where both of those things are true. She is so evolved she rejects the very notion that a sentient being's existence boils down to simply "Kill or be killed." We don't know how much of the Ape Men slaughter she was actually a part of. But she not only speaks, she cooks, she uses a bow and arrow, and she creates art to express herself.

And what is her story? Is she a time traveler? Does any other fans reading this review know if she was speaking Japanese or some other known language? If she was, that and the boat raise a TON of questions. If she IS speaking a modern language, I would love to know what she actually said.

And her presence is so felt by Spear he actually says his first word ever. What else is evolution but this? And she makes me question how the evolution is working in this fictional Universe. Dinosaurs do not belong in the same time as cavemen. Mira lets us know there might be a TON of other things different in this Universe we never considered. And I like the show doing that because until this episode, I've disliked the show because it spoke to a baser, meaner impulse in the viewer, and ask the viewer to accept some pretty terrible things as a matter of course. Mira is making me (and of course Spear) question that acceptance. That "Kill or be killed" is an interesting show. It's not. Evolve or not to evolve: THAT'S the interesting show.

I am very glad Genddy Tartakovsky changed his mind about this being a limited miniseries, and it is coming back. Even if we don't see Mira for awhile, her very idea has changed entirely how I see the show. And it's in the show's favor. I cannot state enough good things about this episode. *****.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
And what is her story? Is she a time traveler? Does any other fans reading this review know if she was speaking Japanese or some other known language? If she was, that and the boat raise a TON of questions. If she IS speaking a modern language, I would love to know what she actually said.
I've seen some saying very confidently it's Arabic but in a Lebanese accent and theorizing the slavers are ancient Egyptians who kidnapped Mira and her people from Lebanon to build the pyramids.

And she makes me question how the evolution is working in this fictional Universe.
It could be taking place in a pocket world where cavemen and dinosaurs still exist like the Savage Land in Marvel Comics, Skartaris or Dinosaud Island in DC Comics, Space Ghost's Dino Boy in the Lost Valley, or Pellucidar from Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Hanshotfirst1138

Morphinomenal!
This season has just been so good it’s unbelievable. This is some of the best stuff I’ve seen on TV In a long time. The show manages to tell such rich stories with no dialogue. Just a sheer explosion of imagination in the designs and there’s so much detail to the characterization and friendship. God, season two can’t get here soon enough. When will it be coming out?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chocolate

Mentally Still in 2016
I definitely agree, I'm looking forward to the next season already and I'll preorder the blu-ray when it comes out. Nothing but perfect from start to finish and one of the best shows TV has to offer right now.

hit that creative button lol

The Master C

I'm hoping that we get to see more of Mira next season.

I'm glad this show exists, and Season 1 is fantastic! I'm looking forward to Season 2, as well as Unicorn: Warriors Eternal!

Now that S1 is over, I hope reruns of it can finally appear inside Toonami.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I don't know if this is just a rumor but someone said Primal wasn't running on Toonami because Genndy himself forbade it from happening.

....what kind of dark past do he and TOM have?
Eh, I don't about that but what I recall are:

-In an October 2017 interview, he expressed some disappointment in Samurai Jack airing on Toonami and said, "I would've liked it to be its own thing. The magic of Jack is that it's unique, there’s not a lot of stuff like it. But OK."

-In May 2019, DeMarco confirmed it would not be on Toonami. When pressed further, he connoted it was a network decision that Primal runs on AS proper and not Toonami. He said, "I would urge you not to read too much into a network decision as to where to place a show. Primal will air where the network thinks it has the best change of success. It doesn't mean anything for Toonami." (both tweets are deleted and grabs seen here)

Hanshotfirst1138

Morphinomenal!
I think some of the international Amazons have a June 9 date for a Blu-ray. So it's looking likely.

At this point, I might settle for HBO Max putting up the second half of the first season. Why it’s taking so long for this to trickle out? It’s been over for MONTHS now.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
At this point, I might settle for HBO Max putting up the second half of the first season. Why it’s taking so long for this to trickle out? It’s been over for MONTHS now.
Another AS show Rick and Morty took about 7 months from the season finale for season 1-3 each for the sets to come out. So Primal's season finale was in November, that about tracks. I guess that's the standard amount of time now for the AS series?

Hanshotfirst1138

Morphinomenal!
Another AS show Rick and Morty took about 7 months from the season finale for season 1-3 each for the sets to come out. So Primal's season finale was in November, that about tracks. I guess that's the standard amount of time now for the AS series?

As long as we get it! Frustrating, but late is better than never. I hope we’ll get an announcement soon. And come on, HBO! When are they getting on it?!

RoyalRubble

Staff member
There will be a Home-Media release on June 1st.
Eat, or be eaten! Kill, or be killed! Get into survival mode with Adult Swim’s #1 prehistoric animated series with the release of Genndy Tartakovsky’s Primal: The Complete First Season on Blu-ray (SRP $29.98 USD / $39.99 CAD) and DVD ($24.98 USD / $30.99 CAD) from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment on June 1. The critically acclaimed series displays a perfect 100% rating by critics & 99% by audience on Rotten Tomatoes, and recently won three Juried Emmy Awards for Outstanding Achievement in Animation.
Travel back in time and binge on all 10 fascinating episodes from the first season and go behind the scenes with interviews from the incredible talent from this wordless series. As well as DVD and Blu-ray (with Digital copy in the U.S.), Genndy Tartakovsky’s Primal: The Complete First also available to own on Digital.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Hi guys. After 2 days, I'm finally home. I also have something planned to tell you, but that wont be till next week. Really glad to be with my dad and brother again.
I have to ramp up my measures for YT to restore my channels. I'm reading similar cases on Twitter and I want to find a success story.
I no longer have COVID
Today would have been the 100th birthday of animator/director Abe Levitow, best known as a member of the Chuck Jones unit at Warner Bros. and MGM. He also had stints with UPA and Richard Williams.

More about him here: A Tribute To Abe Levitow (1922-1975) |

The winner of this matchup is Winnie The Pooh 2011, which got 2 votes. My Little Pony Rainbow Road Trip got nothing. The next matchup is between Alvin And The Chipmunks Meet The Wolfman and Scooby Doo: Frankencreepy.

Featured Posts