C&C - Rick & Morty - Season Five Talkback

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Well not really back to "normal" as they instead advanced the canon of the story (which even Rick feels is an abnormality he doesn't want to take part in) and honestly Rick's backstory being done without dialogue just showing what happened through the animation is actually something from SJ.

shany94a

Candy Pirate
Season 5 was polarizing, if the Rick and Morty subReddit is any indication.

In the end, the masses wanted Evil Morty, and they got him.

Freddy

I decided to wait until I had seen every episode of this season, before making any comments, since with previous season I jumped to a lot of premature conclusions when trying to give my thoughts episode by episode. Fair warning that I haven't rewatched any of these episodes (not because of their quality or the like, but for lack of time), so I probably have forgotten some smaller details.

Mort Dinner Rick Andre
Decent start. I think this season tried to fix the problem of Rick becoming too powerful, where he could solve any problem with a random gizmo while rolling his eyes, and it starts here with his conflict with Mr. Nimbus and him losing at the end. Morty's plot was the highlight with this show signature flavor on old sci-fi ideas and it was nice that Jessica finally got some development herself.

Mortyplicity
One of the best of the season, maybe whole series. I just loved how the situation kept escalating and becoming more confusing (in a funny way) as the episode went on. And personal points from me for the Highlander reference.

A Rickconvenient Mort
This was OK episode. I like it when Summer and Rick are paired up, even though I feel the ending of their plot could have been stronger. Everyone seemed to get really sad over how Morty/Planetina plot wrapped up, but I kinda called it, since I very much doubted that the show would keep a Captain Planet parody as Morty's permanent girlfriend and making her crazy was the most obvious way to break them up.

Rickdependence Spray
I still don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand, it was kinda like this season's version of the dragon episode, where a dirty low-brow joke was taken to such an absurd level that I can't help, but to find it amusing, but that episode had the parody element of contrasting the majestic ways dragons are usually depicted in media with the perverted humor, which made the joke stronger, and that was missing in this episode. The dragon episode also had an unrelated B-plot, which helped to balance out the dirty humor, while this whole episode revolved around it's main plot. This was also a wrong episode to watch, while eating...

Amortycan Grickfitti
Another solid episode. The Hellraiser parody was spot-on and I really liked Rick's spaceships' new personality, which luckily wasn't removed or something at the end.

Rick & Morty's Thanksploitation Spectacular
Average episode. It didn't do anything wrong, per say, but the premise wasn't all that interesting and none of the jokes stuck with me after the fact.

Gotron Jerrysis Rickvangelion
This was well-made episode, but not for me, since I have never watched Voltron or any other giant mecha anime (not for any particular reason, just haven't), so the parody element didn't land with me. Don't know how to feel about the jokes about the old awkward anime English dubs, since those jokes had become old by the time Futurama did them ten years ago during their sixth season, but, on the other hand, I guess if you are making a parody episode of an 80's anime, you can't really avoid them. Summer getting a bigger role was nice.

Rickternal Friendshine of the Spotless Mort
This was a big suprise, since the show has done "canon episodes" (as Rick calls them in the finale) so far only in the begining and end of each season, but I'm not complaining, since this was really good. Definitely one of the show's bests.

Forgetting Sarick Mortshall
Really good set-up episode for the finale. Always good when Morty stands up to Rick and Rick genuinely feels bad for his actions. The animation was way smoother than it needed to be on Garbage Goober excitedly rushing to go eat Rick's garbage, during the post-credit scene X'D

Rickmurai Jack
This finale was awesome! The crew of the show has often implied that their (or at least Justin Royland) never wanted this show to become as story-focused it did and don't enjoy writing these "canon episodes", but they seem to always hit them out of the park despite that. Some of Evil Morty's technobabble went over my head and I had to look up what his plan was exactly (although, that could just be me not being a native English speaker and having no subtitles), but I was still invested. I'm sure that some people are disappointed that Rick's backstory is basically what was implied in season 3, but I like that they didn't try to force some kind of big "gotcha", so the clues we were given make sense.

So, overall this season was really good, despite couple weak or mixed episodes, and a major improvement over the previous one (which IMO is the weakest season of the show so far).

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Episode idea:

Rick-rolled

Rick legally changes his last name to Astley and begins passing himself off as the singer of the same name. The real Rick Astley guest stars.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

CNC
In progress of redesigning my CN chart for the new year.
Help me, i have curse of globo 2021 logo, in which graphic is my passion, forcing to change my pfp to that globo logo.
Is there any hope for a new installment in the Xiaolin Showdown franchise or not?

Featured Posts