C&C - Rick & Morty - Season Six Talkback

CNFan1995

Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.
1664730156512.jpeg

Season 6 Episode 5: Final DeSmithnation.

Synopsis: The Smiths dine at their favorite Chinese restaurant and read their fortune cookies aloud. Pretty normal stuff, until Jerry reads his.​

Nobodyman

Panda Express? Eh.

I thought they were Wendy's sellouts?

Whoa. Who the hell wrote that fortune?

Most fortune cookies don't really offer "fortunes" as much as they offer generically helpful advice.

Nobodyman

Okay, Morty and Summer are having way too much fun with this.

Hi Space Beth.

Schroedinger's Mother.

The Panda Express crew are packin' heat.

Guess they wanted to give Pollos Hermanos some competition.

Sailor Moon footage recycling gag. That would've been hilarious 20 years ago.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Fortune cookies are like Senzu beans in this world. They give you a good power-up.

Nobodyman

Fortune cookies that actually accurate. What a concept.

Well, they survived the fight with Rick. I'd call that lucky.

This is like the Slurm episode of Futurama.

Eh, after the Virtual Boy, I think that's the one thing Nintendo will never try again.

Rick used water-controlling guy. It's super SUPER effective.

Last edited:

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
I’ll have to take a rain check this week. I have a cousin who’s in town and we’re watching football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobodyman

Most successful businesswoman. Easy come easy go.

She's just gonna Akira this crap.

Poor old guy. But then I guess he did make a lot of people screw their moms.

So I guess one fortune overrides the other.

The theme from Taxi? Hmm, okay.

Well, that was a strange post-credits scene.

Next week, the return of Morty's teacher!

Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
"Final DeSmithation" - I think I said last week that "Night Family" compared to the first 3 episodes this season felt more like a comedic romp episode without any big emotional twists or character conflicts to really focus on but that was also taking things in a general more horror direction as well. This though is a more full on romp and quite frankly works much more as one. Because it also made me realize something that we haven't really gotten this season or maybe even in a while; an adventure of Rick having to work on getting something he wants from somewhere else and the trials and tribuations and even failures in trying to achieve that. Since yeah most of this season has been about fixing or avoiding problems or he just off screen made the thing he wants but this is Rick finding out about something that alters fate and wanting it. And you know quite frankly I do really appreciate how there actually was a logic to how these fortune cookies were used; most of them are flavorless statements because the power works best when general easy to fufill in no specific way platitudes are given out and just generally consumed by people, but the ones with actual abilities are a lot more rare and thus only used when necessary. And there are also those that due to the nature of the probability field you will actually be able to not die from anything until it's fufilled thus those are usually given the most ridiculous ones. And the only reason Jerry and Rick even found out about this was due to Jerry's fortune that the guy wrote out just so someone would realize what's happening to rescue him and the creature who doesn't have the romantic connection he thinks. And though Rick can fight these guys off due to them literally being able to alter probability field there are some who can get the jump on him and actually prove difficult opponents so it's not just nerfing him like we got in the last episode but why these guys would just be a challenge. And though it's obviously not supposed to be emotional or anything I'm glad it does show that even though Jerry obviously annoys Rick he still cares for the guy and thus sacirficed the chance for the creature just so Jerry and his mom wouldn't have sex... man if you didn't watch the episode that would be weird.

So yeah a lot of this one just works and unlike last time just fires on cyldiners from Rick actually being allowed to smarm back at the guys from pointing out to the business lady he gave all the funds to and then gave back "i'm more netural" to him "Pokemon this s***" about the guys being given powers to even pointing out how awful just being able to stick is a power and then thinks it's useful as the guy seemingly survives at first but then dies more horribly. Again Rick is a character people love for his mouth and comebacks so having that there makes for a stronger comedic focus and the family egging on Jerry about his fortune thinking it's ridiculous and Jerry's paranoia about it even wearing Morty's clothes because "morty's mom is my wife" is funny. Honestly from just having Space Beth cameo going to the zoo to Morty figuring out the twist of the zoo and the guy fed that fortune knowing about the specific machine the fortune was talking about just again lot of banger joke after banger joke with an interesting premise. Like someone saw that Freaky Friday movie and thought "you know forget body swapping how did the fortune cookie predict that would happen and what power comes from that and what if we wrote a story about that?" And made it a really solid romp. There were rules something to gain a lot of jokes and just felt really pace out. So yeah just a really great episode. Honestly it's different from the first 3 as this is all about the comedy and the zany scenario but it does really work for me regardless so well done the team on that one.

JoeMabbon

The Warrior
Not everyday you get a Sailor Moon joke and a Star Wars joke in the same breath.

The writers got really bored with that B-plot and just shoved it all into the stinger.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Ha, that ending encapsulates their relationship. Jerry still wants to be friends with Rick, Jerry randomly ruins Rick's win, gets slapped, he cries, and Rick apologizes. lol.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Eh, after the Virtual Boy, I think that's the one thing Nintendo will never try again.
That was a weird request that felt a little like a guess as to what Nintendo fans actually want. One Google search would have provided the real answer for Rick's mouth flaps: "Mother 3." Maybe they feared Mother 3 would be announced between the time they wrote the script and now (ha!)

Best episode of the season so far -- took an interesting premise and milked every last possible drop of creative juice from it in just 20 minutes, which is what I watch this show to see.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts