C&C - Toonami: Cosmo Samurai [2/6-27]

veemonjosh

Battle Tendency
We should probably have a talkback for this since it's new content.

Cosmo Samurai
A 4-Part (Non-Canonical) Toonami Event

Part 1:

Is it me or is this already feeling like a backdoor pilot to a potential Toonami Original? Like, not a series centered on TOM, but one centered on the samurai.

• Funny
Reactions: CNC

CNC

Is it me or is this already feeling like a backdoor pilot to a potential Toonami Original? Like, not a series centered on TOM, but one centered on the samurai.
I hope so.
Although......imagine if there was a standalone anime starring TOM and SARA.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
I know we got that Rick & Morty short and a surprise airing of one of the FLCL episodes, but it's still surreal to get Japanese with English subtitles on Toonami.

PicardMan

Staff member
Space opera samurai on Toonami? That would be epic. Our last sci-fi samurai title was Samurai 7 and that was a pretty good title. It feels like Toonami has abandoned space opera, but at least Demon Slayer was around to represent the swordfighting genre.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Welp, TOM got really messed up in the fire fight.

Garfield, you have really changed!

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
"It looks like they're stealing everything they can get their hands on."
Good lord, they're from Disney!

Pixie Sara is cute.

veemonjosh

Battle Tendency

I know they've made it perfectly clear that this is considered non-canon, but considering TOM seems like he's supposed to be his third incarnation, I'll be amused if the new body the cat has made for him is TOM 5, thus finally giving an explanation for the transition from TOM 3 to TOM 5.

Last edited:

VeiledHat

Hi, um, I'm Moxy, and, uh, uh, that's Flea!
Sara isn't evil?! I seriously bet on my death bed she was going to be evil again, since Jason likes to troll me and not give me evil TOM. Like, I was expecting even though it was non-canon, it was going to be the second time Sara has became evil because they hate me. But yay she isn't evil... I guess.

(Evil TOM as in not a clone of him like in Intruder II, but TOM himself being evil. Like in the Trapped in Hyperspace game, WHICH I WANT FOUND I'M TIRED OF SITTING HERE WAITING FOR IT)

veemonjosh

Battle Tendency

Ending on a sequel hook. Interesting decision, which lends credence to this being a pilot to a new original series. Though I am surprised (non-canon) TOM and SARA seem to have now become permanent members of the Cosmo Samurai, since I wouldn't expect them to be in it if this goes to full series. But....maybe?

It was an okay microseries. The biggest draw for me was definitely seeing TOM and SARA in traditional animation. The other characters were alright but could definitely benefit from more character development in a future installment. Animation wasn't too impressive, but I appreciate that it had a nostalgic feel, like a lost mid-00s anime. Overall, it was okay, but I do hope to see more.

Last edited:

PicardMan

Staff member
I am surprised that this series was pretty tame in the violence department compared to the Rick and Morty anime shorts. Considering it's Adult Swim, you almost expect shock value content and it's surprising when it doesn't appear. Then again, nu-Toonami since 2015 seems somewhat tamer than the earlier years of nu-Toonami. Attack on Titan and Food Wars are definitely child unfriendly, but the days of Black Lagoon and Hellsing Ultimate are long gone. This did seem like a throwback to the Naruto era, with one of the characters even being a Naruto ripoff. The action scenes were fun and yes, this was as cliché an anime short as can be, but it was a fun extra for Toonami.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
I am surprised that this series was pretty tame in the violence department compared to the Rick and Morty anime shorts. Considering it's Adult Swim, you almost expect shock value content and it's surprising when it doesn't appear. Then again, nu-Toonami since 2015 seems somewhat tamer than the earlier years of nu-Toonami. Attack on Titan and Food Wars are definitely child unfriendly, but the days of Black Lagoon and Hellsing Ultimate are long gone.
In all fairness, Rick and Morty is generally more violent than TOM and Sara.

Also, didn't we get Demon Slayer last year? That was pretty graphic.

PicardMan

Staff member
Also, didn't we get Demon Slayer last year? That was pretty graphic.

Oh yeah. We have some violent shows, but they feel a lot more lighthearted, like the simultaneously gory and campy JoJo, and Demon Slayer with Zenitsu comic relief. We still have some violence, just not the grimness of stuff like Tokyo Ghoul, the last grimdark seinen Toonami ever aired. Of course, I think that the current model is probably working because of the current backlash against the grimdark seinen that was dominating pre-2016.

I just realized why Naruto seemed to be such a heavy influence. I think I read on Comic Book Resources the director of Naruto actually worked on this.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Then something bad is intensifying!
Asa
Peanuts creator Charles Schultz would've turned 99 years old today.
Lost of Christmas stuff on tonight Frosty and Frosty Returns is on CBS tonight, it's always on the night after Thanksgiving, so is Grandma Got Runover by a Reindeer on The CW, and NBC has the Original Grinch, ABC has Santa Claus is Comin' to town (though if you prefer to watch this one un edited Freeform is the better place to watch it )
Nick@nite finally got new Christmas brand just today started 6am!

Featured Posts