C&C - Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon - "Secret of the Rainbow Pearls" [11/27]

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Why does company always come over on the night you lose your demon powers?

yashahimetalk.jpg

Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon
Episode 21
"Secret of the Rainbow Pearls"

On the night of the new moon, Riku pays Towa a visit to chat; unfortunately, he's not the only one planning to drop by.

NOTE 1: This is the SECOND of two premiere episodes of Yashahime, to air tonight at 1am E.
NOTE 2:
Yashahime will not air next Saturday due to a Blade Runner: Black Lotus marathon.

It's bad etiquette for guests to post spoilers.

Nobodyman

Previously on Yashahime: "Ah, the ol' stomping ground. As in, the place where I stomped a bunch of demons."

Oh boy, even more flashbacks.

"Oh no. I didn't make it in time. What a tragedy. My heart weeps."

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Oh no. That lady's house is burning. -_-

"He's dead?! WE CAN DIE?!"

"What are these things coming out of my eyes! I hate them!"

Wait, so...that's where they come from?

Nobodyman

Welp, Towa's havin' her time of the month.......I mean when she turns into a full human.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Welp, Towa's havin' her time of the month.......I mean when she turns into a full human.
Couldn't withhold the urge to use that joke anymore, could ya?

Your human eyes are beautiful in the moonlight.

I've been meaning to ask...how'd they get King of the Hill back?

Nobodyman

Couldn't withhold the urge to use that joke anymore, could ya?
Eh, low-hanging fruit. What can I do?

Towa, will you please get a clue that this guy is evil already?!

So this entire show happened just because a demon cried? Jeez.

Alright, now she knows.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Ewww, don't reuse a tea bag!

"Sounds like your master must be quite a dreamer."
You may say that, but he's not the only one.

Yeah, what happens? Does a wish-granting dragon appear?

Please, please. You're BOTH pieces of sxxx.

YES. HE'S EVIL.

Yeah, men. They seem nice, but in the end they're always thinking with their pearls.

Last edited:

Nobodyman

Wait, so...is Riku evil or not?

Oh hey Moroha. Was beginning to think we wouldn't see you tonight.

Beheading seems to be the killing method of choice in this world.

And no more Perils.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Whoa, Moroha! Where've you been this past episode-and-a-half?

"You guys took forever to get here!"
"Hey, I wasn't even IN the last episode!"

I wouldn't want anything to happen to you...that I couldn't do myself.

I may not know much about love, but I know who I like!

The hell?

Well, that move certainly won't come back to bite you in the ass later.

Nobodyman

What is he, a homunculus? He better not have a philosopher's stone in there too.

That's one for the trophy room.

WickedChild

Kissing the shadows
I've said before that I think this show's big problem is a lack of any romantic tension, which of course is gonna be hard to have when your 3 lead characters are blood related (unless we're talking about Game of Thrones). I'm not even saying you have to necessarily have a big, obvious love story shoved to the foreground like Inuyasha/Kagome, but not even having the chance of it happening? That neuters a lot of the potential chemistry you could build between your cast, which is even more glaring in comparison to other Rumiko series casts. Fun interaction should be the one thing you could always count on in a true Rumiko work (and yes I know she doesn't write this, my point is that fact shows too blatantly).

I don't know if Riku was introduced as a potential fix for that problem. But if he was, I have to say it's not really working at least as far as I've seen (early second season). He's not around enough, and when he is nobody seems to pay him much attention besides Towa. And she has about as much romantic sense as your average male shonen lead. Well maybe that'll change, but at least I would hope that they can spice up the relationship between our leads somehow, whether it's with romance or otherwise.

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
So Rin up and left because she freaked about doing it with a guy who met her she she was twelve?
I'm sure that this is just me taking a joke too seriously again, but I don't think that's really going to be an issue for anyone in-universe. Yeah, Rin met Sesshomaru when she was twelve and had children with him, but it's really hard to take it as a serious kind of issue when she married a demon that is hundreds of years old. I can understand still not liking it and I'm not saying that you have to be okay with Rin and Sesshomaru getting together, but since her disappearance is probably going to become more important, she is probably going to be mentioned and/or shown as their mother more over time.

I've said before that I think this show's big problem is a lack of any romantic tension, which of course is gonna be hard to have when your 3 lead characters are blood related (unless we're talking about Game of Thrones). I'm not even saying you have to necessarily have a big, obvious love story shoved to the foreground like Inuyasha/Kagome, but not even having the chance of it happening? That neuters a lot of the potential chemistry you could build between your cast, which is even more glaring in comparison to other Rumiko series casts. Fun interaction should be the one thing you could always count on in a true Rumiko work (and yes I know she doesn't write this, my point is that fact shows too blatantly).
I think not introducing more romance into the series right off the bat was a good thing. Admittedly, I'm not too familiar with most of Rumiko's other works, but I know that romance is often one of the main driving force of her series. Since the romance between Inuyasha and Kagome was one of the main defining features of the original series, I think it was a better choice to have more of a monster of the week kind of format with the girls instead. I'm not against romance by any means, but I think it helped to make Yashahime more distinct from Inuyasha. If all three leads had romantic interests, I think it would have come off as trying to mimic the original series instead of being its own thing, if not just trying to juggle too many characters at once.

I don't know if Riku was introduced as a potential fix for that problem. But if he was, I have to say it's not really working at least as far as I've seen (early second season). He's not around enough, and when he is nobody seems to pay him much attention besides Towa. And she has about as much romantic sense as your average male shonen lead. Well maybe that'll change, but at least I would hope that they can spice up the relationship between our leads somehow, whether it's with romance or otherwise.
I don't know if it was just the dub dialogue, but this episode seemed to heavily imply that they both have romantic feelings for each other. It could be just a tease for the audience though.

Anyway, I thought that this episode was pretty good. It was interesting to learn where the Rainbow Pearls came from. It was a unique way to tie them back to the original series too. Since they are basically a demon's emotion sealed away, I wonder what would happen if they are brought back together. Would they form a new Shikon Jewel or something new altogether?

I also didn't quite understand why they left Towa unprotected when she lost her demon powers. Setsuna having to go on a mission was understandable, but it was weird that Moroha didn't stay to protect her. They didn't provide any information or show her falling asleep. Towa did learn a bit about her mother and saw Rin in the Tree of Ages, along with the Dream Butterfly. Towa had some nice moments with Riku, even if it was clear that he was totally evil. There was some tension with Totetsu showing up and seriously hurting Riku too. I kept expecting Towa to ask Riku how he could survive losing all that blood.

At least Setsuna and Moroha showed up to save Towa. I didn't expect Riku to kill Totetsu with just a brutal blow to the head. It was also kind of funny how Moroha ended up with a demon head after all this time. Admittedly, she didn't really kill him, so they might use that to explain why she doesn't get any money, but she helped to save Towa and after all of her bad luck this season, she deserves getting some kind of bounty.

Towa giving up her Rainbow Pearl to Riku was understandable on some levels, but it was ultimately a really stupid thing to do. On one hand, Towa is a pretty naive person in general, but she would be more willing to believe Riku after he wanted to protect her. You could also read it as a declaration of her feelings since he said that he liked him. I'm not sure if I'm really into their pairing, but I kind of liked how they were so open about talking about love, even if it was how they both don't understand it. It also kind of made sense that she'd give up her Rainbow Pearl as a sign of goodwill so that Riku wouldn't go after Setsuna or Moroha's Rainbow Pearls. They would definitely not be okay with giving up that power.

But Towa really overlooked how Riku's former master was Kirinmaru and kind of took his explanation about wanting to give the pearls back to their rightful owner at face value. They have no idea if he's telling the truth, they don't know who the rightful owner is or what they could with all of that demon power. I would hope that she'll eventually get the Rainbow Pearl back, but I guess it depends on what Riku's plan is. They kept calling Riku a puppet, so I guess he isn't exactly like a regular demon. In retrospect, the fact that he didn't age at all during the flashback to explain what happened to their parents should have been more of a tip off that he wasn't human. He became much more emotional and expressive compared to how he was in the flashback, so I don't know if that is connected to the Rainbow Pearls. Overall, it was a pretty good episode.

WickedChild

Kissing the shadows
I think not introducing more romance into the series right off the bat was a good thing. Admittedly, I'm not too familiar with most of Rumiko's other works, but I know that romance is often one of the main driving force of her series. Since the romance between Inuyasha and Kagome was one of the main defining features of the original series, I think it was a better choice to have more of a monster of the week kind of format with the girls instead. I'm not against romance by any means, but I think it helped to make Yashahime more distinct from Inuyasha. If all three leads had romantic interests, I think it would have come off as trying to mimic the original series instead of being its own thing, if not just trying to juggle too many characters at once.

I guess I would rephrase it to say lack of romantic *potential*, rather than just lack of romance. I agree, it's better not to have a foreground romance right off the bat. Romantic potential, even if it doesn't lead to actual romance, still adds a lot to the potential chemistry and tension between the characters, which I still think the shows is lacking in. That's what I was talking about with the Rumiko series more so than just romance. There's usually a lot going on between the characters, some of which is usually romantic, but whether it is or not it would always lead to fun, humor, and drama.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts