C&C - Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon - "Sesshomaru's Daughter" [SEASON FINALE] [1/1]

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
I don't suppose grounding her for a month is an option.

Pretty.

So now they'll have to look for them again? Talk of deja vu.

I guess nobody likes you today.

Yeah, thanks, dad, we'll be fine. Don't worry about us or anything.

"Behold your spiritual powers! ...Your Rainbow Pearl only got in the way!"
Inspiring them to reach their true potential by easily deflecting their attacks.

Last edited:

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Wow, Towa got a hit on him...and of course he countered by landing a fatal blow to Setsuna.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
NOOO!
She was my favorite!!
She was the counterbalance to Moroha's recklessness and Towa's naivete...

So one girl puts a scar on your cheek, and you thought it was grounds to slice a hole in her sister's chest?

Last edited:

WickedChild

Kissing the shadows
If anyone is horribly confused like I was by all the stuff involving Zero, Kirinmaru, and Riku, or the pinwheel thing, without spoilers I can say second season picks all this stuff up very quickly.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Awww, that was where Lord Zeno was going to hold the next Tournament of Power.

The always run out of energy right at that crucial moment.

And it immediately starts raining.

Don't be so hard on yourself. There's always next season.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Really hoping AS/Toonami picks up season 2.
Oh, I'm sure they will. I just hope we don't have to wait very long.

Ahh, Bebop.
I didn't watch the Netflix show. When I'd heard Ed wasn't going to be in it, my interest sank right then and there.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
I have been watching season 2 on Crunchyroll and no spoilers, but the show gets even better compared to season 1. If you were on the fence, I would stick with it. Hopefully Toonami will air season 2 sooner rather than later.

WickedChild

Kissing the shadows
For most of season 1 I kept waiting for the plot to start, and by the time it finally did it was over. They throw all this stuff at us in the last 2 episodes about pinwheels and time travel and Zero's and Kirinmaru's true motivations (and 4-5 levels of counter-motivations), then it ends on a harsh cliffhanger. I was kinda sour on it but liked it enough to watch season 2.

I'm happy to say so far the second season is much more straightforward. And I think it's all-around better too. Characters tend to act more like normal people and the dynamic between Towa, Setsuna, and Moroha feels more like classic Inuyasha. They have more clear goals and tend to work towards them instead of treading water like most of season 1. Same with Riku, Zero, and even Sesshoumaru. Strongly recommend sticking with it even if Toonami doesn't air it.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I thought that this episode was really good. Destroying Tansaiga was a bit of a surprise. It made sense with what happens later in the episode, but it does seem like Sesshoumaru could have easily protected his sword from that attack if he wanted to. Although, given the cliffhanger ending, there might have been more of a reason for that decision too. Spreading the Rainbow Pearls across the land definitely gave off some Dragon Ball vibes and I suspect that will be important in the next season too. Riku stabbing Kirinmaru was a bit of a surprise, but he has been more loyal to Zero for awhile. Towa being confused over her disappointment from Riku leaving was kind of funny. She didn't even understand how hugging Riku gave her a different feeling from hugging Papa Sota, which is just hilarious.

The fight was pretty good. It was kind of weird for Kirinmaru to claim that the Rainbow Pearls were holding them back from developing their own powers. It kind of made sense when they have been relying on them and maybe being the power of a full demon affected their own half demon powers, but it just seemed a bit odd to me when not having her Rainbow Pearl made Towa vulnerable to Zero's initial attack. Kirinmaru also clearly wanted them to give him more of a fight and challenge, which is why he kept trying to push them and lecture them about their attacks. Putting Setsuna in danger would affect Towa's powers, but it was pretty brutal to see Setsuna get that huge slash.

Setsuna's death was pretty sad. After all this time, she finally feels tired and falls asleep. She even called Towa Sis, which I assume means that she has regained her memories of their childhood in the forest. Seeing both Towa and Moroha go all out was pretty cool. The three girls do have solid chemistry. They come off as friends, or more accurately family, so Setsuna's death would definitely hit them both pretty hard. Moroha has grown up pretty isolated, while Towa lived in the present without Setsuna for years. The fighting in space was really weird though. Visually, it was cool and showed off how much strength both Towa and Moroha have. More time refining those attacks could really make them much more powerful, but they still managed to deal more damage to Kirinmaru than their first battle. Even Moroha was able to stay in control of her full demon form and didn't fall asleep for a full day afterwards.

Both Towa and Moroha grieving for Setsuna and the fact that they couldn't avenge her was pretty sad. Sesshomaru coming in suddenly to give Towa something does kind of fit with his pretty distant parental methods. Admittedly, knowing that there is a season two and has been airing for awhile does kind of take some of the edge off of this ending, but this is still a pretty brutal cliffhanger to end on. The girls are at a low point, Setsuna is dead with seemingly no way to revive her and we don't know what Sesshomaru said or left to Towa. I'm sure it was really rough for fans watching the Japanese version.

Overall, it was a really good finale. The season itself was pretty good. Despite not being that familiar with the Inuyasha franchise, it's pretty accessible and engaging. As much as I like Moroha and hope that she gets more attention in the next season, I think it was a better choice to have the main focus on Towa and Setsuna, if only because I think it makes the series stand out a bit more compared to other sequel series focusing on the previous main characters' kids. Not making it clear what happened to the original main characters for awhile might have been more of a double edge sword. I think it was better to focus on the new characters and flesh out the new status quo, but given how the first episode went and the initial marketing for the series, it probably did give off a wrong impression of what the show was going to be like.

I don't think that they took too long with getting to the plot exactly. There aren't a lot of episodes in the season that felt like padding, but it did feel like there wasn't much urgency. Towa was the only one interested in getting the Dream Butterfly to help Setsuna, while Moroha and to a lesser degree Setsuna were just more interested in fighting other demons. Knowing more about the situation with Kirinmaru and Zero, it made sense as to why they couldn't really make much progress with the Dream Butterfly plot point, but I think that lack of urgency or that most of the main cast weren't interested in it kind of weakened that aspect of the storyline.

Still, I think that the series generally works as a fun followup to Inuyasha. The main leads are likable, have fleshed out personalities and feel like family. The action is pretty good and the setup for the next season is pretty solid too. The season has been pretty solid fun and I like fun. I also hope that Toonami will pick up season two soon, but I'll probably catch up on the dub eventually even if they don't.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts