Martin Scorsese’s “Killers of The Flower Moon” Talkback (Spoilers)

[classic swim]

SwimShady
[Killers of The Flower Moon]

A uniquely evil and downright diabolical display, which somehow, in the end; became uplifting.

A picture that began with thickening bleakness that would surprisingly end in a graceful and prosperous celebration of life.

Ernest Burkhart (DiCaprio) and Bill Hale (De Niro) were simply demons to the core.

Leo’s puppy dog eyes and believable somber into despair didn’t do much to unmask the indifference I had toward Ernest throughout those near four hours spent with him.

Ernest started out frustratingly dim-witted, naive and childlike as could be. The second he’s corrupted, almost all of that goes out the window.

He becomes fully complicit in profitable genocidal slayings of a tribe him and his twisted mentor uncle only pretended was family.

It was purely gut-wrenching to watch decent people progressively thin out in numbers more and more as it was almost a demented sport.

You could feel the vivid disgust conveyed by Hale stating he needed one guy alive for “at least a few more months” before clipping him or else it’d inconvenience his pockets.

Couldn’t get enough of the couple scenes involving the council. Very under appreciated moments of strength and determination to outline the enemy in front of them.

I for one LOVE when the walls begin collapsing on our two leads.

Boardwalk Empire music soaring in the middle of Ernest’s frantic paranoia was just the right kick in the head I needed. Reminds that this type of devil was fought before.

Mollie Burkhart (Lily Gladstone) put up the fight of her life the entire picture. The most strong and resilient female lead I’ve ever seen. There were multiple times throughout the movie where she easily could’ve rolled over and died. She didn’t do that.

Mollie endured years worth of pain, loss and suffering, only to finally be at peace knowing her husband confessed at last and would harm no more.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

This was something I attended to out of impulse. Without knowing the type of ride I’d have in store.

Of course I’m a fan of Marty. He directed the film that’s been my all-time favorite ever since I was a kid! *Goodfellas*

He also made a couple of the most sorely overrated heaps out there. *Departed, Wolf of Wall Street*

But on the upside again, he previously directed one of the very few films from within these past ten years that I’ve thoroughly enjoyed. *Irishman*

This one, like Irishman before, was also three and a half hours long.

Now usually, this is only a complaint for those with very short attention spans. Usually!

Scorsese embraces the art of filmmaking! Only the theater conveniently leaves out any intermission for a show that’s practically four hours long. That’s really my only gripe with the run time.

We have penises, Marty. And eventually, we need to pee out of those penises.

Besides all that... this was far from my favorite movie. But damn, was it all still a heavy and valuable experience.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Scorsese embraces the art of filmmaking! Only the theater conveniently leaves out any intermission for a show that’s practically four hours long. That’s really my only gripe with the run time.

We have penises, Marty. And eventually, we need to pee out of those penises.

Besides all that... this was far from my favorite movie. But damn, was it all still a heavy and valuable experience.
206 minutes? No intermission? Screw that noise. I'll wait for it on streaming.

In fact I'm going to go out on a limb and say that, unless they bring back intermissions, no theatrical movie should be more than 2.5 hours. It's simply unreasonable to expect audiences to hold their urine for that long, and if a theater's goal is to maximize profits by having as many screenings as possible, why wouldn't they pressure studios to stick to shorter running times?

I'm not saying studios can't produce longer films. But release them on streaming only. At least then you can pause and take care of business.

A shame too, because Scorsese is also one of my favorite filmmakers and I would like to support him but I just can't justify being in a theater for that long.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
I just think if a theater can waste your time with 20 minutes of dumb trailers and “moobie trivia : D “ then they should also implement one measly break card for the longer viewings.

I felt like I could stand for a million years once I got my ass up from that chair.

DeanBurrito25

I watched this over the weekend. Having been filmed down here in OK, its release has naturally been a big deal as of late, and I was fortunate to have attended at a local theater house with a packed room. It's a powerful movie and Lily Gladstone was a notable standout amongst an already stacked, talented cast. I had seen a bit of her in FX's Reservation Dogs previously, but man, I do hope she gets an Academy Award for that performance.

That said, three and a half hours is a big ask, and I was feeling the runtime by the end, but I had seen Oppenheimer near the end of the summer, so what was an extra half hour or so? I never get beverages at movie theaters, so holding it for an excruciating period of time was a non-issue for me. I feel like you have to take steps to prepare yourself for an undertaking such as that. With that said, I am proud that I didn't check my phone or watch once during the entire screening. :p

[classic swim]

SwimShady
I watched this over the weekend. Having been filmed down here in OK, its release has naturally been a big deal as of late, and I was fortunate to have attended at a local theater house with a packed room. It's a powerful movie and Lily Gladstone was a notable standout amongst an already stacked, talented cast. I had seen a bit of her in FX's Reservation Dogs previously, but man, I do hope she gets an Academy Award for that performance.

I must say, it’s really nice to have an Oklahoma resident’s perspective on this.

I’m hoping my comments and praise of the film won’t overshadow the fact the Osage were indeed horridly victimized. Because I’ve already seen some strong criticisms about the depiction.

I think the movie is just that. A movie. Killers of The Flower Moon isn’t setting itself up to be a solution of any kind. It’s just telling a story that the director’s clearly passionate about.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
206 minutes? No intermission? Screw that noise. I'll wait for it on streaming.

In fact I'm going to go out on a limb and say that, unless they bring back intermissions, no theatrical movie should be more than 2.5 hours. It's simply unreasonable to expect audiences to hold their urine for that long, and if a theater's goal is to maximize profits by having as many screenings as possible, why wouldn't they pressure studios to stick to shorter running times?

I'm not saying studios can't produce longer films. But release them on streaming only. At least then you can pause and take care of business.

A shame too, because Scorsese is also one of my favorite filmmakers and I would like to support him but I just can't justify being in a theater for that long.

I think that's too limiting to have just longer films be streaming only. As we have seen with movies like Oppenheimer, people will come to watch long movies if they're intrigued by the story. Almost 20 years ago, you had people go to the movie theaters multiple times to watch the Lord of the Rings movies. Also, my guess is that having a theatrical option also helps because a lot of these movies are expensive and as we have seen with streaming so far, the studios aren't there yet with it making a profit just yet.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
I think that's too limiting to have just longer films be streaming only. As we have seen with movies like Oppenheimer, people will come to watch long movies if they're intrigued by the story. Almost 20 years ago, you had people go to the movie theaters multiple times to watch the Lord of the Rings movies. Also, my guess is that having a theatrical option also helps because a lot of these movies are expensive and as we have seen with streaming so far, the studios aren't there yet with it making a profit just yet.
Okay fair enough, I admit my post was too much in the vein of "I don't want it, therefore nobody else can have it". But still... at LEAST have an intermission if it's going to be that long. Are they afraid that people won't return after intermission, or will be theater hopping? Admittedly this is a little different of a situation, but at least when I did a double feature of Animal House and The Blues Brothers at a vintage theater, they had the courtesy of a fifteen minute break between the two movies.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Okay fair enough, I admit my post was too much in the vein of "I don't want it, therefore nobody else can have it". But still... at LEAST have an intermission if it's going to be that long. Are they afraid that people won't return after intermission, or will be theater hopping? Admittedly this is a little different of a situation, but at least when I did a double feature of Animal House and The Blues Brothers at a vintage theater, they had the courtesy of a fifteen minute break between the two movies.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing intermissions come back, but I can see some people leaving if they think the movie is over or they don't know how long it is.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
It tells me the movie length when I make a purchase.

If people don’t bother to look at that first until the last second or think “intermission” means “leave the building” then they’re just doomed.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I saw the film last week and it's one of the best films I've seen this year. I hope Lily Gladstone wins the Best Actress Oscar for this and it's definitely the longest film I ever saw at the cinema.

[classic swim]

SwimShady

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I'm struggling to think of a movie opinion Scorsese has had over the past few years that wasn't totally obnoxious. Oh, Heaven forfend, some theater owners put their customers' needs and comforts ahead of a freaking movie. How dare they? It's totally normal to feel "disrespected" by that and not actually all kinds of ass.

[classic swim]

SwimShady
Scorsese’s comparison of the living room TV set in particular is tragically dense.

People pause movies at home. They just do. Pause buttons were invented for convenience!

The ones outside the forums acting as though we’re wanting to eradicate long films are missing the point entirely. You’re in a PUBLIC ENVIRONMENT for FOUR HOURS rounded up. You are not at your house. You’re in a company building.

Any editor will pour their heart and soul into cutting a film a certain way. They make up part of the crucial directing process. If they believe a intermission dismantles their creative vision, fine. Whatever.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts