"Cars On The Road" Disney+ Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Cars On The Road "Dino Park"

I am not a fan of the Cars franchise, and Lightning is overselling the idea that a little of Mater goes a long way. In reality, I can't stand that character.

On the other hand, the fact that they got Owen Wilson back (and most of the rest of the cast) means this will not be the cheapo cash-grab both Mater's Tall Tales and Planes were. Which will be nice, I guess.

The fact that there are kiddie cars raise almost as many questions to me as the dinosaur cars and caveman cars. I think the biggest thing I dislike about this world is that I can't come up with any reasonable explanations for it. It's fine to raise questions in a mystery and not answer them. My problem is no plausible answers are possible, so all the "clues" do nothing but frustrate me. ***.

Cars On The Road "Lights Out"

The Wraith Rod has a cool design.

I also liked the gags of "Racecar" spelled backwards, and the anti-freeze tidal wave coming out of the elevator. Good Shining references there. ***1/2.

Cars On The Road "Salt Fever"

Eh. Not great. **.

Cars On The Road "The Legend"

I really liked, it mostly because I really liked Ivy.

I also liked the moment where Mater described the fact that his new friends didn't even TRY to save him as "cold". You think? ****.

Cars On The Road "Show Time"

Ivy cleans up good!

I tend to agree with Lightning that there's something creepy about clown cars. They are the only Cars with noses and it feels weird.

Not bad. Ivy is cute! ***1/2.

Cars On The Road "Trucks"

I already possess some sort of vague dislike for the franchise. A musical number is not helping my antipathy for it. At all. *.

Cars On The Road "B-Movie"

I think the episode wants me to find the notion of Pixar taking a shot as CGI effects ironic (and amusing) for that reason, but for me, that's the precise reason the joke doesn't work.

And I'm sorry, there are unpleasant real-world implications to a nimrod like Mater being thrust into the role of President Of The United States without having earned it. I won't discuss that further, and you can tell me I'm reading too much into it. But politics is not fun in the real world, and kiddie cartoons should avoid talking about it at all costs, unless they WANT people making these negative comparisons. *.

Cars On The Road "Road Rumblers"

I was bored with this. **.

Cars On The Road "Gettin' Hitched"

Gotta admit, I never would have expected Mater came from a wealthy, old-money, socialite background. Because the notion is ridiculous on its face and super dumb. I'm actually not, Pixar. Do better.

And you're like, "In a world of talking cars, THAT'S your sticking point?!" And I'm like, "More like my final straw, but yeah." *1/2.

TsWade2

I’ve watched it. It was enjoyable. The truck song is so adorable.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts