Cartoon Network's (Upcoming) 30th Anniversary

Moe

Shows were broadcasted in hour long or half hour packages.
Yeah but they were part of CN brand in the past.

This type of scheduling was pretty common in the late 90’s to about 2007/2008. There were plenty of shows/blocks to choose from. The Cartoon Cartoon Fridays Block, Toonami, and Adult Swim.
I thought they stopped air when City era started in 2004.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
I thought they stopped air when City era started in 2004.
I think you might referring to Boomerang on CN block that ended on October 2004, then yes.

As for the others:

CCF rebranded themselves as Fridays on October 2003 and it ended in February 2007.

Weekdays Toonami was replaced by Miguzi in April 2004 and ended in May 2007. Toonami continued on Saturday nights until 2008.

Adult Swim was on Sunday-Thursdays at 10pm when it first launched and it was part of the CN brand until 2005 when it become its own thing, and 2007 when Adult Swim was on every single night.

Moe

I think you might referring to Boomerang on CN block that ended on October 2004, then yes.
I got it and I had to check the programming history, so I noticed that Scooby-Doo, Flintstones and Jetsons returned to CN in 2012, during CN's 20th Anniversary.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
This logo is logically and graphically okay. A bit boring, but I can see them using it on air. I do expect them to keep posting these clips on Twitter all year long from various years. What I do doubt is the scheduling and bumpers.

What I would do is revive the Superchunk/Toonhead style segments where they would rotate the most popular shows from the 30 years and air trivia bumpers in between.

AnimatedFan01

Gonna be perfectly honest, but even though I had my hopes up, I don't think there's much hope left for CN to do an anniversary marathon this year. While I wouldn't doubt they'll air some classics given they did just that last Christmas, I don't think it's within CN's best interest to air their entire original library, regardless of whether it's both their past cartoon AND live-action content, or just the cartoons. Here's why I have my doubts:

1. It would require them to suspend Adult Swim and Cartoonito to air their whole original library in one day, which I don't think Turner would be willing to do given ratings.

2. Their originals library is HUGE. How many people are going to stay up all night just to see every CN original from the start?

3. When they celebrated their 20th anniversary in October of 2012, the only older shows they aired outside Cartoon Planet were Dexter's Laboratory, The Powerpuff Girls, Ed, Edd 'n Eddy, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Billy and Mandy, Codename: Kids Next Door, Foster's, Samurai Jack, My Gym Partner's a Monkey, Chowder and Flapjack. (CP already had Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, I Am Weasel, Evil Con Carne, and Camp Lazlo).

4. Adding to that, the only "Golden Age" non-original cartoons they aired were Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry, which were already part of their regular lineup before.

5. They can't air Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi or Class of 3000 due to legal issues with the real musicians. I think Annoying Orange is out of the question too due to YouTube copyright. Ditto for Dragons and Dreamworks and Transformers/Hasbro, Disney/Star Wars, and whatever company owns Mixels.

6. Let's be honest, who really wants to see The Problem Solverz or SMFA again?

7. Given their low impact on the network, it's doubtful we'll ever see The Moxy Show, What a Cartoon!, Mike, Lu & Og, Sheep in the Big City, Time Squad, Robot Jones, Sunday Pants, Squirrel Boy, The Secret Saturdays, Generator Rex or Symbiotic Titan on CN for as long as it stays a channel.

The only reason I had hopes they would do a library rundown was because Nickelodeon did one for their Nicktoons during the Super Stuffed Nicktoons Weekend Thanksgiving event in 2007, though it was only for one year, and compared to CN, Nick didn't really have a history at the time with short-lived and unsuccessful cartoons (save for The X's and Catscratch, though those had only ended very recently at that time and that marathon marked their last appearance on the main network). The only Nicktoons they didn't air were Ka!Blam and Mr. Meaty, although the former is excused by it containing more live-action sketch comedy skits than animation, while the latter is technically a live-action show due to puppetry.

If they do air any of their older shows, I think they'll show Dexter, PPG, Eds, Courage, KND, Foster's, Chowder, and Flapjack for the '90s/2000s library, and Adventure Time, Regular Show, Uncle Grandpa, Steven Universe, and Clarence for their 2010s, but that's about it.

Toonhead2002Ultra

Gonna be perfectly honest, but even though I had my hopes up, I don't think there's much hope left for CN to do an anniversary marathon this year. While I wouldn't doubt they'll air some classics given they did just that last Christmas, I don't think it's within CN's best interest to air their entire original library, regardless of whether it's both their past cartoon AND live-action content, or just the cartoons. Here's why I have my doubts:

1. It would require them to suspend Adult Swim and Cartoonito to air their whole original library in one day, which I don't think Turner would be willing to do given ratings.

2. Their originals library is HUGE. How many people are going to stay up all night just to see every CN original from the start?

3. When they celebrated their 20th anniversary in October of 2012, the only older shows they aired outside Cartoon Planet were Dexter's Laboratory, The Powerpuff Girls, Ed, Edd 'n Eddy, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Billy and Mandy, Codename: Kids Next Door, Foster's, Samurai Jack, My Gym Partner's a Monkey, Chowder and Flapjack. (CP already had Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, I Am Weasel, Evil Con Carne, and Camp Lazlo).

4. Adding to that, the only "Golden Age" non-original cartoons they aired were Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry, which were already part of their regular lineup before.

5. They can't air Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi or Class of 3000 due to legal issues with the real musicians. I think Annoying Orange is out of the question too due to YouTube copyright. Ditto for Dragons and Dreamworks and Transformers/Hasbro, Disney/Star Wars, and whatever company owns Mixels.

6. Let's be honest, who really wants to see The Problem Solverz or SMFA again?

7. Given their low impact on the network, it's doubtful we'll ever see The Moxy Show, What a Cartoon!, Mike, Lu & Og, Sheep in the Big City, Time Squad, Robot Jones, Sunday Pants, Squirrel Boy, The Secret Saturdays, Generator Rex or Symbiotic Titan on CN for as long as it stays a channel.

The only reason I had hopes they would do a library rundown was because Nickelodeon did one for their Nicktoons during the Super Stuffed Nicktoons Weekend Thanksgiving event in 2007, though it was only for one year, and compared to CN, Nick didn't really have a history at the time with short-lived and unsuccessful cartoons (save for The X's and Catscratch, though those had only ended very recently at that time and that marathon marked their last appearance on the main network). The only Nicktoons they didn't air were Ka!Blam and Mr. Meaty, although the former is excused by it containing more live-action sketch comedy skits than animation, while the latter is technically a live-action show due to puppetry.

If they do air any of their older shows, I think they'll show Dexter, PPG, Eds, Courage, KND, Foster's, Chowder, and Flapjack for the '90s/2000s library, and Adventure Time, Regular Show, Uncle Grandpa, Steven Universe, and Clarence for their 2010s, but that's about it.
Tbf, the lineup of older shows you listed wouldn't be that bad or incomplete. Just add Billy & Mandy, Camp Lazlo, OG We Bare Bears, and OK KO and boom, CN fans'll be happy.

cartoo5007

Dexter was shown the least often out of all the reruns they did of the classic shows. When they were doing reruns of it during the Check It 2.0 era in 2011, it was only shown sparingly.

SG-17

I honestly think they only really need to give airtime to the following older shows:

Dexter's Lab
Johnny Bravo
Power Puff Girls
Cow & Chicken (maybe)
Edd, Edd, n Eddy
Courage
Billy & Mandy
KND
Foster's
Camp Lazlo
Chowder
Flapjack

Others like Regular Show and Adventure Time are more current and wouldn't need special times, have modern adaptions like Ben 10, are more associated with Adult Swim now like Space Ghost Coast to Coast and Samurai Jack, were spinoffs and thus could be looped in with their parent show like I Am Weasel or Evil Con Carne, or honestly weren't that popular. I think you would be hard pressed to find people who care about Mike, Lu, & Og nowadays, not even considering I don't think that show is appropriate to air anymore.

As for non-Cartoon Cartoons and Cartoon Network Studios shows:

Looney Tunes
Tom & Jerry
Flintstones
Scooby Doo Where Are You?
Teen Titans

Toonhead2002Ultra

I honestly think they only really need to give airtime to the following older shows:

Dexter's Lab
Johnny Bravo
Power Puff Girls
Cow & Chicken (maybe)
Edd, Edd, n Eddy
Courage
Billy & Mandy
KND
Foster's
Camp Lazlo
Chowder
Flapjack

Others like Regular Show and Adventure Time are more current and wouldn't need special times, have modern adaptions like Ben 10, are more associated with Adult Swim now like Space Ghost Coast to Coast and Samurai Jack, were spinoffs and thus could be looped in with their parent show like I Am Weasel or Evil Con Carne, or honestly weren't that popular. I think you would be hard pressed to find people who care about Mike, Lu, & Og nowadays, not even considering I don't think that show is appropriate to air anymore.

As for non-Cartoon Cartoons and Cartoon Network Studios shows:

Looney Tunes
Tom & Jerry
Flintstones
Scooby Doo Where Are You?
Teen Titans
This would be nice but why wouldn't Adventure Time and Regular Show need special times during CN's 30th? They were instrumental in saving Cartoon Network from going under in 2010 after they pushed live action the previous year. I feel like they're both way too important to the network to not get air time during the festivities. My list of older shows would be this...

Definitely:
Dexter's Lab
Powerpuff Girls
Ed Edd n Eddy
Courage
Billy & Mandy
Kids Next Door
Foster's Home
Camp Lazlo
Chowder
Adventure Time
Regular Show
Gumball
Steven Universe
Clarence
We Bare Bears
OK KO
Apple & Onion

Maybe:
Johnny Bravo
Cow and Chicken
I Am Weasel
Evil Con Carne
My Gym Partner's a Monkey
Flapjack
Uncle Grandpa
Mighty Magiswords

Obviously I wouldn't include all of these shows, but most of the ones I put under definitely airing on the anniversary would be amazing! Also this is more of a nitpick but I don't think Flintstones or Scooby Doo Where Are You? would really fit for a CN 30th anniversary. Both of those shows are pretty dated animation wise, and most would probably associate them with Boomerang over CN nowadays.

ToonDude03

“Heavens to Murgatroyd!”
I got an idea! How about on October 1, Cartoon Network plays their original launch sign on from 1992, and plays an hour of Looney Tunes starting with Rhapsody Rabbit of course (It was the first thing to air on Cartoon Network after all). Then start showing some 90’s, 2000’s, and even some 2010’s CN originals on the main channel, and then some old 60’s and 70’s toons on Boomerang. And don’t forget to cross promote it on both networks!

SG-17

This would be nice but why wouldn't Adventure Time and Regular Show need special times during CN's 30th? They were instrumental in saving Cartoon Network from going under in 2010 after they pushed live action the previous year. I feel like they're both way too important to the network to not get air time during the festivities. My list of older shows would be this...
I meant, iirc, they both have aired fairly recently in reruns so they wouldn't be special first time in a decade+ airings.

Toonhead2002Ultra

I meant, iirc, they both have aired fairly recently in reruns so they wouldn't be special first time in a decade+ airings.
Ok I see. Both of those shows aired in the last month so yeah. Both should still air on October 1st though.

Markus Nelis

I don't see the 30th anniversary last all month long. However October 1st will definitely be celebration. They will celebrate it. Because they even mentioned and acknowledged it on Twitter.

jokerbeans2091

Honestly i hope they celebrate it all weekend long because october 1st falls on a Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cartoo5007

Almost anything before Adventure Time is what I consider old school CN. Chowder, My Gym Partner's, Camp Lazlo and Flapjack are in the middle.

Beast of Beef

Here’s what I’ll think they’ll do:

The week of October 1st, they’ll air some classics. They won’t take up the whole schedule, but they’ll be there. Adult swim will also air some classics around this time. But on that Friday, adult swim will do a marathon of most the pilots of there shows. From 8 that night to 6 that morning. If needed, maybe [as] can air more on Saturday night as well. But, that Saturday, CN will be airing most if not all of there originals In chronological order. I’ll do a fantasy schedule on the fantasy 30th anniversary schedule board. But, it’ll end with a clip show special celebrating the best moments of CN.
Now, what will boomerang do, you ask? I think maybe rerun some stuff CN used to rerun back in 1992. Maybe they can do an exact one to one schedule with they day it launched, but if not, just rerun classic theatrical shorts and Hanna-Barbera stuff.

here’s the thread where I posted my schedule, you just gotta scroll down: Fantasy 30th Anniversary Schedule

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts