Cartoon Network's (Upcoming) 30th Anniversary

parkersfan89

Do you think they'll air anything this year that they didn't last decade? The OG Teen Titans doesn't count since they've aired it often to promote Go!
let's hope they would play Johnny Bravo, I Am Weasel, or Cow & Chicken as well. Since, CN last played them on the cartoon planet block (the 2012-2014 era), which was 10 years ago now.

Vuxovich

What do you think? Will CN air both the Puffy AmiYumi show and Powerpuff Girls Z on its 30th birthday? If I am wrong, will you please tell me why?

BlooMac

Yeah, this "special" was pretty bland. Shame we didn't get some sort of documentary with creators and people who worked for the network or an actual throwback of the history of the brand.

It was just random clips of a couple of shows, the editing varied from okay to none. There were times when they would throw a 2-minute clip from an episode without any editing to it. Too many segments dedicated to Adventure Time, Steven Universe, and Regular Show. No "purged" shows (despite the poster) and no H-B/WB/MGM cartoons at all (aside from Teen Titans and TTG). Dexter is as far as they would go, so they practically missed the first 4 years.

This felt like a lazy long YouTube compilation. Why was this exclusively on a premium platform, besides being a promotion for it, is beyond me.

parkersfan89

Yeah, this "special" was pretty bland. Shame we didn't get some sort of documentary with creators and people who worked for the network or an actual throwback of the history of the brand.

It was just random clips of a couple of shows, the editing varied from okay to none. There were times when they would throw a 2-minute clip from an episode without any editing to it. Too many segments dedicated to Adventure Time, Steven Universe, and Regular Show. No "purged" shows (despite the poster) and no H-B/WB/MGM cartoons at all (aside from Teen Titans and TTG). Dexter is as far as they would go, so they practically missed the first 4 years.

This felt like a lazy long YouTube compilation. Why was this exclusively on a premium platform, besides being a promotion for it, is beyond me.
they should've did something special like the 20th anniversary stuff from 10 years ago.

Toonhead2002Ultra

Welp, I'm still not getting HBO Max anytime soon. They should've put this on CN's YouTube channel.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!

Welp, I'm still not getting HBO Max anytime soon. They should've put this on CN's YouTube channel.
I heard about the HBO Max's CN 30th Birthday Special for awhile now, and I thought it was cool, but I'm still not interested because of everything has been going on with CN and Zaslav, but reading from @BlooMac 's description of the special, I'm glad I'm missing out on it and avoid it like the plague.

I'm putting this out there: When freaking Stuart Snyder put more effort with CN 20th anniversary than Zaslav did with the 30th, then you know you got a huge problem(and I do regret for not watching the 20th birthday event).

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member

I agree. I see zero reason to put a glorified clip show on a premium streaming service.

Too many segments dedicated to Adventure Time, Steven Universe, and Regular Show. No "purged" shows (despite the poster) and no H-B/WB/MGM cartoons at all (aside from Teen Titans and TTG). Dexter is as far as they would go, so they practically missed the first 4 years.

That's the part I found most frustrating with this special. Where was Johnny Bravo? Cow and Chicken? Any WB/DC originals like Duck Dodgers, Justice League, or the many Tom & Jerry/Scooby-Doo iterations? (Hey, remember when Scoob used to be THE BIGGEST THING on the network? It's like they forgot.) Heck, they didn't even have newer shows like Uncle Grandpa, Clarence, or OK K.O.! Where were the other shows that helped build the network and bring it to where it is today? They could've placed segments from any of those shows in lieu of the 3rd or 4th Adventure Time segment. But no, it instead felt like a truncated history of the network where they only had a few select shows over the past three decades. Heck, they could've rectified this by using that iconic scene from Crossover Nexus where K.O. turns into the many CN characters over the years. The opportunity was RIGHT THERE, but they screwed it up.

Perla Magica

Digital Love
The only problem that I see in the 30th anniversary poster is that it has half of CN originals while in 20th anniversary poster we've had ALL of CN originals, yes, even the forgotten ones.

And I kinda worry about the anniversary video that they won't include any WB or Hanna-Barbera shows or the "purged" shows. Of course the 20th anniversary video was great and the 25th anniversary one was also good, but I can't imagine a newest anniversary video without the cartoons that were the important part of the channel as a whole.

Hope it's on Youtube.
I hope for that too, but after reading @BlooMac 's review of this "special", I kinda lost the interest on it. If it's a poorly made clip-show, I'm out.

SG-17

I'm like 99% sure this was an HD transfer of EEnE from the original film. It looks incredible

parkersfan89

they should've did something special like the 20th anniversary stuff from 10 years ago.
At least, let's hope Cartoon Network plays the Puffy AmiYumi show.
& Johnny Bravo, I am Weasel, & Cow and Chicken as well!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts