Cartoon sound clips used on Svengoolie

Low Spark of Lyman

Y’know, I think the poor guy's screwy.
From "Wax Museum":

"Mind your own beeswax"

Something like "I don't get it" (sounded like a Frank Welker character to me)

Various screaming clips (one of which I'm sure was the aforementioned one with Bart and Lisa), followed by one from Fay Wray

Another instance of two women going "Svengoolie!? EWWWWwwww!", which I previously attributed partially to Wilma Flintstone*

From the "Cat" film:

"Yeah, you bad ol' putty tat." (Tweety Bird)

"That's it, woo-hoo." (Homer Simpson)

*If Maurice LaMarche and Rob Paulsen could get on the show (see previous talk about "take over Berwyn"), then surely Tress MacNeille should be do-able as well.

TeridaxXD001

The Adventures of Batman & Robin:
“I think you're a freak and a menace, and those are your good points.” (“A Bullet For Bullock”)

After Mystery of the Wax Museum ended, there was also a clip that sounded like Dr. Scratchansniff saying “Oh, that vas a nashty!” but I can find no reference to him having said that.

*If Maurice LaMarche and Rob Paulsen could get on the show (see previous talk about "take over Berwyn"), then surely Tress MacNeille should be do-able as well.

I don’t think the Pinky part of that line was newly recorded, nor the first half of the Brain line, just the “try to take over Berwyn” part, because it’s noticeably higher quality than the rest of the clip, which was probably a second-generation recording.

Last edited:

Low Spark of Lyman

I don’t think the Pinky part of that line was newly recorded, nor the first half of the Brain line, just the “try to take over Berwyn” part, because it’s noticeably higher quality than the rest of the clip, which was probably a second-generation recording.
I was also thinking about that video clip you posted featuring Rich Koz with M+R, so "could get on the show" would still apply, even if it was just Maurice doing that partial line (so far).

TeridaxXD001

I was also thinking about that video clip you posted featuring Rich Koz with M+R, so "could get on the show" would still apply, even if it was just Maurice doing that partial line (so far).
I wonder when it was actually recorded. It was obviously before the two were featured, because it plays in that very segment.

Animaniacs:
“We’re gonna watch the movie with you!” (Yakko, episode anyone?)

Looney Tunes:
“You are a mental case.” (“Hyde and Hare”)
“You bad old putty tat!” (One of several cartoons)

And a new source...

Pokémon:
"Wow, that's a pretty amazing story!" ("The Crystal Onix")

Yet another show that was on WCIU Chicago.

Last edited:

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
I wonder when it was actually recorded. It was obviously before the two were featured, because it plays in that very segment.

Animaniacs:
“We’re gonna watch the movie with you!” (Yakko, episode anyone?)
I already identified that one. It's from "Drive-Insane".

One note listed yet: "Your breath is like the stench off a landfill." - Dot, Meatballs or Consequences

TeridaxXD001

I heard Homer say something about a foot massage.
That would be "I'm giving them a foot massage" from "Homer vs. Patty and Selma." (Googling that led me to a creepy-sounding story involving Matt Groening and Jeffrey Epstein...)

I already identified that one. It's from "Drive-Insane".

One note listed yet: "Your breath is like the stench off a landfill." - Dot, Meatballs or Consequences
Sounds like the exact quote is "Your breath is like the breeze off a landfill," not to nitpick. But it's also preceded by "Ew, who's been eatin' garlic?" which is from "Mobster Mash" (also of Animaniacs).

Oh, and Sven's intro to The Undead wrapped up with "Hello there, stinky smoky boy" which directly precedes the aforementioned "Do you have a monkey in your pants?" from the Pinky and the Brain episode "Inherit the Wheeze."

Last edited:

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Don't think this has been mentioned yet, but one of the voice clips is a character going "Huh?" It sorta sounds like Megavolt from Darkwing Duck but I'm not 100% sure.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
One not listed yet:

Superman: The Animated Series:
"Did you hear me say you could paw me? I don't think so." - Maxima, "Warrior Queen"

Low Spark of Lyman

A bit more on Chicago television:

Kids' WB! finally made it to WGN-TV for the 2004-05 schedule, not long before the CW takeover. Apparently, the station aired it for the remainder of its duration, as well as its animated successors. In 2016, WPWR became the affiliate of the CW, followed by none other than WCIU in 2019.

Anyway:

Another live-action example- Sgt. Schultz's famous "I know nothing. Nothing!" has appeared occasionally, including tonight's episode. Worth noting that Hogan's Heroes is yet another show on MeTV.

Also- I've already forgotten how it went, but there was a leprechaun "pot of gold" line this episode, I assume from Looney Tunes?

Last edited:

TeridaxXD001

A bit more on Chicago television:

Kids' WB! finally made it to WGN-TV for the 2004-05 schedule, not long before the CW takeover. Apparently, the station aired it for the remainder of its duration, as well as its animated successors. In 2016, WPWR became the affiliate of the CW, followed by none other than WCIU in 2019.
I actually own VHS recordings of Kids’ WB! on WGN from 1999, and some promos from that era are available on YouTube clearly branded with the WGN logo...and to add to the confusion, I distinctly remember that at one point, it was actually on two channels (WGN and WCIU), I think depending on weekday/weekend. I can’t seem to find a straight explanation of this.

And that’s without going into the fact that some WB affiliates had a children’s block separate from Kids’ WB. The sneak preview version of the Pokemon episode “Battle Aboard the St. Anne” premiered on at least one WB affiliate outside the Kids’ WB block, and apparently some WB affiliates had syndication rights to Nicktoons like Rugrats and The Ren & Stimpy Show, also outside it.

But this is all probably best discussed in another thread (it’s just confusing to me as a Chicago area kid that we had two affiliates at once and I can’t seem to find written record of it).

Last edited:

Low Spark of Lyman

I actually own VHS recordings of Kids’ WB! on WGN from 1999, and some promos from that era are available on YouTube clearly branded with the WGN logo...and to add to the confusion, I distinctly remember that at one point, it was actually on two channels (WGN and WCIU), I think depending on weekday/weekend. I can’t seem to find a straight explanation of this.

And that’s without going into the fact that some WB affiliates had a children’s block separate from Kids’ WB. The sneak preview version of the Pokemon episode “Battle Aboard the St. Anne” premiered on at least one WB affiliate outside the Kids’ WB block, and apparently some WB affiliates had syndication rights to Nicktoons like Rugrats and The Ren & Stimpy Show, also outside it.

But this is all probably best discussed in another thread (it’s just confusing to me as a Chicago area kid that we had two affiliates at once and I can’t seem to find written record of it).
Wasn't expecting that, but thanks.

I've never been to Chicago, but I have checked out numerous videos from Fuzzy Memories, and read the descriptions and comments containing a good deal of Chicagoland TV history (not including the above info about Kids' WB and the CW, since that's later stuff). And yes, their site is how I first became acquainted with Svengoolie, though it was only last year that I started watching the show regularly on MeTV.

Getting back on topic, I also heard in the last episode, IIRC, another Bugs Bunny line. Something like "right over the old pitcher's mound"; sorry, I forget how it went.

TeridaxXD001

“Woah, stand back, folks, here it comes!”

I don’t have my DVD set handy, but I think this is from “The Origin of the Fantastic Four: Part One,” the first episode of the decidedly mediocre 1990s animated Fantastic Four series, spoken by Ben Grimm when Reed Richards is about to suggest using their new powers for the good of humanity.

Low Spark of Lyman

"Delays, delays." - Marvin the Martian

"Ooh, why, I’ve never been insulted before in all my life!" - Bugs Bunny

Not sure if the wording is accurate for the latter.

EDIT: Someone else already brought up Foghorn's "cut that out, boy" line.

Last edited:

TeridaxXD001

The Simpsons:
“Anybody care what this guy thinks?” “NO!” (“Saddlesore Galactica”)

TeridaxXD001

“Well put, son. Now let’s eat.”
It sounds like it has to be from a cartoon.

Looney Tunes:
“Yep, I got it all right.” (Beaky Buzzard, specific short, anyone?)

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts