What comic books did you read this week?

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
10/11/23:

New Releases (physical editions):

1697061773406.png
1697061783558.png

Guardians of the Galaxy #7 and Wesley Dodd's The Sandman #1

New "backlog" added to digital platforms (aka "Marvel Unlimited" and "DC Universe Infinite"):

1697061811652.png
1697061822637.png

"Star Wars: Yoda" #9 and "The Batman & Scooby Doo Mysteries" #7
(click on links to view full comics with your DC Infinite or Marvel Unlimited subscription)

So what have you read this week?!?

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Sorry for the delay in getting the weekly post up.

I was torn on what "new" Marvel Comic to highlight, so thanks to @Magmaster12 for the "Guardians of the Galaxy" recommendation. ;)

Also, the "retro" collection this last week was a bit lacking, so I chose to highlight some peculiar "new" releases to Marvel Unlimited and DC Infinite: the latest issues of "Yoda" and "The Batman & Scooby Doo Mysteries". These are comics "new" to the Marvel Unlimited and DC Infinite apps, but they came out in print 3 to 6 months ago.

EDIT: I decided this was a big enough review for it's own thread, so check out my retro review of "Star Wars: Dark Empire" here!

Last edited:

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
^^^Good choice on choosing the Batman/Scooby-Doo one. Incidentally it's coming back shortly in 2024 to become ongoing.

Any way, catch up pics with a few other items:
20231012_155257.jpg

20231012_160041.jpg

My mom got me the My Little Pony sticker book. Going to use it as a decoration for the next box I use to store some MLP comics in. Yes I have a box nearly full of that title.:D

Stuffed elephant I won as a Bingo prize. Level Up and Dead Weight were sold at the library store for 50 cents each.

Last edited:

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
10/18/23:

1697643665668.png
1697643674485.png

Sensational She-Hulk #1 and Superman #7

New "backlog" added to digital platforms (aka "Marvel Unlimited" and "DC Universe Infinite"):

1697643684308.png
1697643694198.png

What if? #11 (1990) and Superman #129 (1959)
(click on links to view full comics with your DC Infinite or Marvel Unlimited subscription)

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Marvel just a few days ago uploaded a whole slew of "What If?" comics from the late 80's/early 90's! I have fond memories for this series, it did some interesting things.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
I had another big week.

Titans #4
The Sensational She-Hulk #1
Astonishing Iceman #3
Scarlet Witch #9
Nightwing #107

I'm not a big fan of the She Hulk Jack of Hearts Romance since I'm more of a She Hulk Wyatt Wingfoot stan but the backup story got a good laugh out of me.

Was gong to pick up Avengers Inc but I saw most books have increased in price but my salary hasn't so I'll have to get the trade.

Antiyonder

Staff member
Marvel just a few days ago uploaded a whole slew of "What If?" comics from the late 80's/early 90's! I have fond memories for this series, it did some interesting things.
Ah yes. I even have that What If? Issue from a comic store I visited out of town wayback in 2001.

And good use of the format for various types of stories besides the concept itself being fun.

Oh and apparently there was this as a planned 1980s What If?:

What If each power went to a different member? The line up:

- Reed Richards/Mr. Invisible
- Sue Storm/She-Thing
- Johnny Storm/Kid Fantastic
- Ben Grimm/Flame Thrower

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
10/25/23:

1698244978590.png
1698244991724.png

Captain Marvel #1 and Amazons Attack #1

Random backlog in the digital platforms (aka "Marvel Unlimited" and "DC Universe Infinite"):

1698245003252.png
1698245011547.png

Wasteland #1 (1987) and "What If?" #26 (1989)

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
For the "DC Infinite" and "Marvel Unlimited" selections, I'm looking to shift from "recently added" backlog to me just choosing random stuff.

"Wasteland" is a DC horror anthology comic from the late 80's, that wonderful experimental time following "Crisis on Infinite Earths" where DC was willing to try different things. It could also be looked at as a precursor to the "Vertigo" line of comics that would come into existence just a few years later.

For Marvel, I'm just sticking with "What If?" for the moment, as they did add a whole slew of additional "What If?" issues again this week. I noticed that the "What If? #26" is one of the first written stories by Kurt Busiek, so that's kind of a hidden gem to me. And if you say "Who's Kurt Busiek?" I'm going to cry. He's the writer of "Marvels", "Astro City", the late 90's/early 2000's "Avengers", the 2003 "JLA/Avengers" miniseries. Just a really good period for comic books, in my memory.

Antiyonder

Staff member
For Marvel, I'm just sticking with "What If?" for the moment, as they did add a whole slew of additional "What If?" issues again this week. I noticed that the "What If? #26" is one of the first written stories by Kurt Busiek, so that's kind of a hidden gem to me. And if you say "Who's Kurt Busiek?" I'm going to cry. He's the writer of "Marvels", "Astro City", the late 90's/early 2000's "Avengers", the 2003 "JLA/Avengers" miniseries. Just a really good period for comic books, in my memory.

Also the Untold Tales of Spider-Man which was another rare gem of the 90s. Heck beside Pat Olliffe doing the drawing, DeFalco even played Spider-Girl #10 and 11 as UToSM as well.

To my regret I was completely unaware during the early 2010s of Busiek and Olliffe reuniting to do a new Untold Tales in one of the ASM Annuals. Haven't found a copy yet.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Also the Untold Tales of Spider-Man which was another rare gem of the 90s. Heck beside Pat Olliffe doing the drawing, DeFalco even played Spider-Girl #10 and 11 as UToSM as well.

To my regret I was completely unaware during the early 2010s of Busiek and Olliffe reuniting to do a new Untold Tales in one of the ASM Annuals. Haven't found a copy yet.

I'll share a little something: I helped design the "Untold Tales of Spider-Man Omnibus" that was released in 2012. This was in the period where I worked briefly for Marvel, from 2009 to 2012 (and again for around a year in 2015/2016). I owned all the issues featured in that TPB, so I just helped come up with the layout and design.

The "early 2010's" material was that back-up story in Amazing Spider-Man Annual #37, which is in the Omnibus. There was a re-released version of the Omnibus that was printed in 2021, but I think it has the same material.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
11/01/23:

1698851914177.png
1698851921490.png

Doctor Strange #9 and The Return of Superman: 30th Anniversary Special #1

Random backlog in the digital platforms (aka "Marvel Unlimited" and "DC Universe Infinite"):

1698851952710.png
1698851960420.png

Zatanna #1 (2010) and Kitty Pryde and Wolverine #1 (1984)

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I can't believe it's been 30 years since "Death of Superman" / "Return of Superman". That was right around when I was first getting in to comics full time (I had read comics before then, but around 1992 was when I started being a "collector" and reading/buying comics weekly at the local comic shop.

Since they're celebrating the occasion with a "Return of Superman: 30th anniversary" special, that's my "pick of the week" for DC. For Marvel, I just really liked the cover of "Doctor Strange #9", so I went with it.

In the backlogs, I did some random picks:

I noticed "Zatanna #1" from 2010 was written by Paul Dini, so that's automatically worth a shout out. And "Kitty Pryde and Wolverine #1" from 1984 is from that wonderful period where the X-Men line of comics were just amazing. I think that's before the Marc Silvestri/Jim Lee years of the late 80's. Really, it's the period from 1975 to 1985 that's the best. The return of the "real" Jean Grey in late 1985/early 1986 is possible the "end" point for "Classic Chris Claremont X-Men Comics".

Antiyonder

Staff member
Read Murder on the Orient Express for the first time via a GN adaptation from the library. Good read and I was going to check out a playthrough of the game and the 2017 movie soon to see how they differ.

Well major haul time:
20231103_114019.jpg
20231103_115017.jpg
20231103_115641.jpg
20231103_120251.jpg

Besides the usual stuff and one shots, I got some older comics as a gift.

Well the third and fourth are all gifts, while Scooby-Doo to the Korean "Power Rangers Dino Thunder" book are library store finds. The PR comic only using the brand for what is just Bakuryu Sentai Abaranger.

prpis

Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs
Read the Negaduck comic newest issue some days ago I really enjoyed it (more than the current darkwing line now). It got me inspired to read the Rosa line of Disney comics which I’ve been meaning to get to since I was a preteen. Enjoying it so far, up to vol 2 with the fantagraphics copies.

Also read the return of superior spider man one shot. Forgettable and in some ways even contrary to some things from the original comics. But it reunited all the artists from the og comic line and well…Dan Slott. Slott is one thing but nice to see the artists come back. I really enjoy seeing Ryan Stegmans art, and delighted to see Anna Maria back.

I heard a longer comic line of this “reboot” will be out? I don’t know if it warrants a larger comeback like that but hey more the merrier I love superior. If written well.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
11/15/23:

portrait_uncanny.jpg
914bT6JS9wL._SY466_.jpg

Star Wars: Visions - Peach Momoko #1 and Outsiders #1

0.jpg
portrait_uncanny.jpg

Superboy #10 (1993) and Vision and the Scarlet Witch #1 (1982)

Last edited:

Antiyonder

Staff member
Reread this before returning it to the library:
dc111339.jpg

Yep, Will Eisner wrote this version of the story.

And not a comic or GN, but finishing this:
4d7f51fc.jpg

Also those Avengers and Avengers West Coast comics I got as a gift.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
I am so far behind on my reading but I recently picked up the Green Arrow 75th anniversary collection for 8$ it paired terrific after reading the most recent issue.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
11/22/23:

portrait_uncanny.jpg
81Im3mWqI8L._SY466_.jpg

Daredevil: Black Armor #1 and Catwoman #59

0.jpg
portrait_uncanny.jpg

JSA #54 (2003) and Solo Avengers #8 (1988)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts