Cartoons that are a middle ground between being for kids and being for adults?

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
I don't understand why there aren't more of them. The most successful cartoons of all time have had cross-generational appeal. The Simpsons, for example, is clean enough for kids but risque enough for adults, and so both latched onto it and made it a mega-success. Most everything that followed in its wake did not figure this trick out; an "adult" cartoon had to be for "adults" period, limiting its audience size.

To this day, most animated shows are created either strictly for kids or strictly for adults. My only explanation is that businessmen are obsessed with "demographics" and can't figure out anything that doesn't fit a specific box. Their blindness is their loss.
It's more advertisers than executives. A show that get's ratings outside of its demographic is undesirable to advertisers, the cause of so many cancellations over the years.

I don't think it's a coincidence that all these massive cuts to animation on streaming are happening at the same time streamers are embracing ad-supported tiers.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

It's fun to see James Sie talk about Jackie Chan Adventures.

No mention for Sam & Cat nor Wendell & Vinnie since those two also premiered in 2013.
Since it's the animated show that was produced in France, ''Xiaolin Chronicles'' sure deserves a redub into English. Do you want to see this happening?
Norm of the North was released 7 years ago today.
The paradigm shift of “it’s 2011 and I want all my cancelled shows back on TV!” to “you better not so much as GLANCE at Moral Orel.”

Featured Posts