Cartoons You Vaguely Remember During Their Run and Only "Discovered" Post-Cancelation

AnimatedFan01

Are there any cartoons from your childhood or adolescence which you have vague memories of seeing or hearing about during their run and only "discovered" after their cancelation or ending? Basically, cartoons that made you go "This one seems familiar, but I don't remember seeing it." when hearing about them years later.

-I have zero recollection of seeing even promos for Squirrel Boy during its short-lived run (both during its airing and reruns) and saw it as a completely unrecognizable show when I had been hearing about it in CN-related videos in 2013. However I definitely remember when McDonald's was having a Cartoon Network tie-in during August-September of 2007 which sold pencil topper toys of Foster's, Camp Lazlo, My Gym Partner's a Monkey, and Squirrel Boy. For some reason, I kept getting the Bloo and Wilt ones every time except one time when I got the Bull Sharkowski MGPAM topper. Since I remember seeing a commercial for it and had to have seen the display stand of the toys, this is my only memory of Squirrel Boy during its run; I don't remember seeing a single second of any episode or promo at all during this time, only having started to view it online several years later.

-Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi is a similar case. I don't remember seeing any glimpses of the show or promos, but I remember being bought the 2005 CN Summer All-Stars PC game and it had two unrecognized Japanese girls on it which I'd come to identify as Ami and Yumi several years later.

Going through archived CN/AS/Nick schedules from 2006-2009 and seeing certain episode airings/reruns on specific dates which I definitely remember watching on those days, any other candidates would be shows I didn't see (or remember seeing) because I either changed the channel or was outside of the living room, was at school or otherwise not home, or was on a different channel during their time slots.

Last edited:

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
Squirrel Boy and Juniper Lee for me. I didn’t know both of them even existed until I watched them in 2018-2019.

Kooplecrap Me

Cartoonist,Love Fries, Inactive YouTuber
I remember when Cartoon Network aired Sidekick from 2011 until 2012. Also they don't own it btw. it's a show by Nelvana they acquired. The show started airing on Qubo in 2017 so CN definitely doesn't have the rights to it anymore

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Jackie Chan Adventures. Never saw it in its original run but bought the season 2 DVD set about a decade after it aired.

JoeMabbon

The Warrior
I was only dimly aware of Wolverine and the X-Men when it aired and discovered it on Netflix.

Dr.Pepper

Pepper Ann for me. I knew about it when it was on One Saturday Morning, but I could probably count on one hand the number of times I saw it. When I first got Toon Disney I became hooked on reruns.

greensky78

I barely remembered Cyril Sneer from The Raccoons and I don't know where or what I saw him from to this day. Cue me seeing a picture of him online and finding out about The Raccoons. I bought a DVD of show soon after and watched it for the first time back in 2009 or 2010.

A second one would be seeing an ad for Peter Pan and the Pirates on one of Grandma's old tapes (she used to babysit some of the neighborhood kids where she lived). Looked it up online a year later and loved it.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Home: Adventures with Tip & Oh (2016 - 2018); I discovered it only last year.

I mostly watch it for Lucy, the mother character, because she is BEST CHARACTER on it, honestly. She has the most development, which is what helps me to give a damn about her. Too bad I can't really same the same about the two characters this show wants me to actually like (the main 2), ironically & sadly enough...

creator

Whatever Happened to... Robot Jones?

I watched Cartoon Network every Friday for years and I don't remember this show ever airing.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I apparently watched at least one episode of Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi when it was on. All I could remember were the main characters going to the year 3000. For years, I thought I saw a Powerpuff Girls episode, but then I watched all of that and realized that wasn’t it. It was only when I watched Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi a few years ago that I found out it was an episode of that show.

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
I was aware of Hanna-Barbera's CB Bears Show when I was a kid, but when the show originally aired, our local NBC affiliate didn't carry it for some reason. During that time, I bought a coloring book and a Hanna-Barbera Spotlight comic book based on the show, but I didn't actually see it until our (then) cable provider Comcast acquired Cartoon Network in 1995. I finally saw the CB Bears when it aired as part of CN's 70's Super Explosion program block.

The Space Kidettes was another H-B show that I had read about in retrospective books such as Saturday Morning TV, but wouldn't actually see until reruns of the show aired on the USA Cartoon Express.

Last edited:

Silverstar

Jet Flyin', Limousine Ridin'
I never saw Inch High, Private Eye on Saturday mornings; I knew of it since it shared a lunchbox with Goober and the Ghost Chasers, which I did see; Inch must've aired opposite something else I watched at the time, 'cause I never saw a single episode. I didn't actually see Inch High, Private Eye until years later on the USA Cartoon Express.

I also never saw The Funny Company as a kid or as even as a teenager. It originally ran in 1964, before I was born, and it ran in syndication in various cities, most notably Chicago, but not in Baltimore, where I grew up; I had read about the show in various animation and kids' TV books I would buy or borrow from the library, but I never saw The Funny Company until years later, when fellow Anime Superhero member hobbyfan showcased an episode of the show on his blog Saturday Morning Archives. I then discovered that several episodes were on YouTube, so I binged a bunch of them.

Saban's The Why Why Family was a show I only caught a single episode of originally, since in its' original run the show ran in syndication and where I lived it aired insanely early in the morning, so I didn't get up early enough to watch it. Like The Funny Company, I rediscovered the show on YouTube and saw several more episodes.

AnimatedFan01

Also, The X's is something I may have seen promos for, but never saw playing.

I definitely remember hearing about The Buzz on Maggie when it was reran and somehow at least remember what the main character looked like when I decided to revisit the show a few years back. Never remember seeing a full episode though.

Dr.Pepper

Another one sprang to my mind, but I have zero recollection of Sonic Sat AM being on. I remember The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog clear as day and watched it regularly as a kid. I did have a book based on the Sonic Sat Am and being thoroughly confused how why the characters aside from Sonic and Tails were so different. I was never aware of Sonic Sat AM until I started visiting sites like these in the mid 2000s.

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
Monster Rancher - Was scheduled against Pokemon, so I watched Pokemon. Got a tape years later; it’s ok.

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
Xiaolin Showdown

I didn’t watch much of it on Kids WB. But I rediscovered it and in 2019 I binged the series.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts