Characters You Thought Were Voiced By Someone Else

Asa

Mike in Monsters Inc looks and sounds like he’s being voiced by Nathan Lane (who did Timon in The Lion King films). It’s Billy Crystal doing the voice (clearly, he would make a suitable voice for the meerkat, seeing as how he and Mike sound alike).

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Here's one I had recently: The TMNT 2012 episode "Mazes & Mutants" had a character named Sir Malachi, who sounded VERY similar to Trey Parker when he yelled, but he was actually by Paul Reubens.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Two that come to mind-

-I thought that Eliza of the Tea Timers from Craig of the Creek was voiced by Grey DeLisle, but no, she's voiced by Andree Vermeulen, who I'm not familiar with

-At first, I thought that Kite Man in Harley Quinn was voiced by Dave Willis, since his voice is similar to Barry in Archer, but no, he's played by Matt Oberg.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Another TMNT 2012 one: At first I thought Fugitoid was voiced by Jess Harnell, but nope, it was voiced by David Tennant.

DeanBurrito25

So, I couldn't tell you who I thought it was supposed to be, but one character voice that came as a shock to me in recent memory was Buddy from the Animaniacs episode "The Warners 65th Anniversary Special" when I was binging the original series during the pandemic.

Aside from one brief instance, I had no idea that was Jim Cummings! His voice for Buddy was a Mickey Mouse like falsetto, and I can't think of any other times when he gave a similar voice performance. Usually, my ear is trained to pick up on vocal tics for voice artists like that, but I was genuinely stumped – though it's a bit more apparent when he sings as Buddy. The raspiness in Cummings' voice is more pronounced.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
I first thought The Toiletnator from KND was voiced by Rob Paulsen, but no, I was wrong. He was actually voiced by Dee Bradley Baker.

Asa

In Billy & Mandy, Nergal Jr.'s voice almost sounds like Lara Jill Miller (Lisa Loud and Liam on Loud House). In actuality, it's actually Debi Derryberry (who's most famous as Jimmy Neutron) doing his voice.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Watched Igor recently (ugh) and initially I thought Igor was voiced by Albert Brooks. Nope, he was played by John Cusack.

Asa

In Soulcalibur VI, Xianghua’s voice almost sounds like if it were performed by Cristina Vee (she almost sounds like Marinette from Miraculous Ladybug). She’s actually reprised by Wendee Lee (she’s been voicing her since II)

In the 4kids dub of Winx Club, Musa sounds like Ashleigh Ball (famed voice of Rainbow Dash and Applejack on My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and Blythe on Littlest Pet Shop) with a raspy voice. It turns out it’s actually Lisa Ortiz (who’s famous for voicing Amy Rose in the Sonic franchise from 2005-2010) doing her voice.

John Pannozzi

Leggo my Eggo, mouth breather!
At one point, I thought the Futurama character Zapp Brannigan was voiced by Phil Hartman before discovering that he was killed by his wife months prior to the series premiere and that Billy West voiced him instead by emulating Hartman's voice, which is interesting as the character was written for the late actor.
West's Zapp voice wasn't meant to sound like Hartman.

Anyway, I thought Sue Blu voiced Toxie's mom in Toxic Crusaders, when it was actually Susan Silo.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

John Pannozzi

Leggo my Eggo, mouth breather!
I'll agree to disagree on that, considering that in the earlier episodes, there was a bit of a Hartman-esque feel on his voice.
In an audio commentary, David X. Cohen said that the voice that West uses for Zapp is the same voice he used when he auditioned for the character back in 1998 (when Hartman at the time got the role over him), and wasn't meant to sound like Hartman.

Frankly, I think it's kinda hard to play that type of peversely-enduring slimeball and NOT be compared to how Phil Hartman would have played him.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
In an audio commentary, David X. Cohen said that the voice that West uses for Zapp is the same voice he used when he auditioned for the character back in 1998 (when Hartman at the time got the role over him), and wasn't meant to sound like Hartman.

Frankly, I think it's kinda hard to play that type of peversely-enduring slimeball and NOT be compared to how Phil Hartman would have played him.
Just because Cohen said so doesn't mean I have to agree with him on this at all. Besides, Hartman did play a slimeball in Jingle All the Way.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Can't believe I haven't mentioned this yet, but in the Earthworm Jim cartoon, I initially thought Peter Puppy was voiced by Rob Paulsen (not helped by his line in the intro "A hero for all time!" which sounds a LOT like Rob), but no, he was voiced by Jeff Bennett.

SweetShop209

A friend of mine watches the Netflix Jr show Princess Power much like I do. She thought Penny was voiced by Cristina Milizia given how she can often do convincing young girl performances. I then showed her that Penny is voiced by a teenage voice actress, Luna Bella Zamora.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Well dang. Grey DeLisle was originally scheduled to be doing a free gig this coming Saturday here in Phoenix, but she's no longer listed on the bill. I guess she had to back out. I was going to go because I love her music in addition to her VA work, but not anymore. I'm glad I didn't make a reservation.
Man, I wish I got paid for every time someone on this forum said they believed that Warner Brothers Discovery was going to ax, erase or sell off the Looney Tunes franchise. I could retire tomorrow.
Why do so many adults with no kids get so hopping mad about the existence of preschool shows and blocks? "Grr! I hate Cartoonito and Mickey Mouse Fun House! How dare they make preschool shows!" I don't get it.
Did the forum drop the swear rule? I've seen serious high tier swears and adult terms.
Just 10 more days until part 2 of Invincible's second season. Let's go!!!

Featured Posts