CHECK it era - 10 Year Anniversary Thread

CNFan1995

Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.
On this day 10 years ago Cartoon Network introduced the CHECK it era (also known as It's A Fun Thing in Asia and Australia) which it's the fourth era of the Stuart Synder era and the first one of the Christina Miller era for Cartoon Network and also one of my favorites Cartoon Network eras and introduced to the current Cartoon Network logo. It was designed by Brand New School, makes heavy use of the black and white checkerboard motif which made up the network's first logo, as well as various CMYK color variations and various patterns. CHECK it 1.0 was the first version of the CHECK it era to be introduced. It debuted on May 29, 2010 in the US, not long after the Adventure Time premiere. It featured CMYK styles resembling the Checkerboard era. The next bumpers were revamped to be 3 random clips of shows inside 3 checkers, but sometimes a dynamic next bumper was used where the character(s) interact within the checkerboard. Initially, the Next bumpers had no statements regarding what the program was, and whether it was new or not. The bumpers only had one of the two announcers just stating "next" and/or "later," and that was it. Eventually, actual dialogue stating the program, and whether it was new or not was added to the Next bumpers. The actual bumpers themselves consisted of the Cartoon Network logo in random situations on differently colored CMYK grid backgrounds. The YEEEAUHHHH! also known as (CHECK it 2.0) debuted on May 29, 2011. This era is a nod to the Yes! era as it uses a quote from Regular Show, much like the other one did by using a quote from The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy. The CHECK it 3.0 look was introduced on May 19, 2013 and made a major overhaul to the design language. They featured updated next bumpers, as well as other interesting elements. They also made "GIF animation" bumpers from current series to be played on loop a few times with music. The sign-on bumper was a morning background when Uncle Grandpa says "Good Morning." Although 3.0 brought a ton of new bumpers and branding, it still used minimal elements from previous the previous two CHECK it eras. CHECK it 3.5 or Are You CN What We're Sayin' was introduced in either June or July. It didn't have the white background sometimes, but it did have yellow, blue and magenta backgrounds, this was used for New Thursday promos and bumpers, and CN Sayin bumpers and CHECK it 4.0 was introduced on June 1, 2015 and also introduced a major change in the design language. It features gradient-based backgrounds applied to bumpers. A new 'emoji' motif was introduced, where shows would be given their own styled emojis. The Next bumpers were revamped to be short clips of shows, accompanied by an emoji of the show in the corner of the screen.

Here's some videos to remind you of this era:

What are your thoughts about this era?

CNFan1995

Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.
Sorry for double post.

On this day 10 years ago Cartoon Network introduced the CHECK it era (also known as It's A Fun Thing in Asia and Australia) which it's the fourth era of the Stuart Synder era and the first one of the Christina Miller era for Cartoon Network and also one of my favorites Cartoon Network eras and introduced to the current Cartoon Network logo. It was designed by Brand New School, makes heavy use of the black and white checkerboard motif which made up the network's first logo, as well as various CMYK color variations and various patterns. CHECK it 1.0 was the first version of the CHECK it era to be introduced. It debuted on May 29, 2010 in the US, not long after the Adventure Time premiere. It featured CMYK styles resembling the Checkerboard era. The next bumpers were revamped to be 3 random clips of shows inside 3 checkers, but sometimes a dynamic next bumper was used where the character(s) interact within the checkerboard. Initially, the Next bumpers had no statements regarding what the program was, and whether it was new or not. The bumpers only had one of the two announcers just stating "next" and/or "later," and that was it. Eventually, actual dialogue stating the program, and whether it was new or not was added to the Next bumpers. The actual bumpers themselves consisted of the Cartoon Network logo in random situations on differently colored CMYK grid backgrounds. The YEEEAUHHHH! also known as (CHECK it 2.0) debuted on May 29, 2011. This era is a nod to the Yes! era as it uses a quote from Regular Show, much like the other one did by using a quote from The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy. The CHECK it 3.0 look was introduced on May 19, 2013 and made a major overhaul to the design language. They featured updated next bumpers, as well as other interesting elements. They also made "GIF animation" bumpers from current series to be played on loop a few times with music. The sign-on bumper was a morning background when Uncle Grandpa says "Good Morning." Although 3.0 brought a ton of new bumpers and branding, it still used minimal elements from previous the previous two CHECK it eras. CHECK it 3.5 or Are You CN What We're Sayin' was introduced in either June or July. It didn't have the white background sometimes, but it did have yellow, blue and magenta backgrounds, this was used for New Thursday promos and bumpers, and CN Sayin bumpers and CHECK it 4.0 was introduced on June 1, 2015 and also introduced a major change in the design language. It features gradient-based backgrounds applied to bumpers. A new 'emoji' motif was introduced, where shows would be given their own styled emojis. The Next bumpers were revamped to be short clips of shows, accompanied by an emoji of the show in the corner of the screen.
Here's another video:

Last edited:

Spacething7474

Modern Fairly OddParents’ strongest soldier
10 years since CN got rid of their best logo. Despite that, CHECK IT 1.0 had a great branding and 2.0 was pretty funny, it was kinda like the US version of the Block era.

3.0 was decent, but every other branding after that was a downhill decrease (2017 was the absolute rock-bottom, but it’s been improving slightly).

LinusFan303

Squeak
I liked the logo because it kind of harking back to my favorite logo the original one with the name spelled out. I think it is a nice look, surprised how long it's lasted, channels usually change up their entire graphics packages after a few years, even CN sister channels have changed theirs more than twice in the last decade. I think 1.0 is the best , but do like the CN sayin' slogan that was cool. I do like how simple they are but not bland.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

WBD announces a Meerkat Manor animated film. In other news, the world suddenly remembers Meerkat Manor exists.
Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)

Featured Posts