Commisioner Gordon voice actor Bob Hastings has died

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Not another one...

Gordon was a big staple of B:TAS, and Hastings did a good job.

RIP

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
This absolutely devastates me... we have lost alot of B:TAS greats in the last few years.

Bob Hastings personified Commissioner Gordon for me and like many kids growing up in the 90's, his is now the voice I hear when I read the comics. So sad.

R.I.P. Bob Hastings.

SF4Ever

This absolutely devastates me... we have lost alot of B:TAS greats in the last few years.

Bob Hastings personified Commissioner Gordon for me and like many kids growing up in the 90's, his is now the voice I hear when I read the comics. So sad.

R.I.P. Bob Hastings.

Over the years, we've lost Lloyd Bochner(Mayor Hamilton Hill) and Efrem Zimbalist Jr.(Alfred), now, we've lost Bob Hastings(Commissioner James Gordon). We still have Kevin Conroy(Batman), Loren Lester(Robin) and Robert Costanzo(Lt. Harvey Bullock), in addition to those actors that portrayed the Batman villains, Mark Hamill(Joker), Paul Williams(Penguin), John Glover(Riddler), Richard Moll(Two-Face), etc. It's been a tough year for Batman fans, losing all of that great acting talent.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
2jdgegh.jpg

Credit to the wonderful artist who drew this.

Frontier

Staff member
This is very sad news. Mr. Hastings definitely helped define how I see Commissioner Gordon and really embodied the role.

He will be missed :(.

Last edited by a moderator:

Otaku-sempai

Costas? You mean Bob Hastings, Frontier. Bob Costas is (as far as I know) alive and well--and has never done any voicework that I know of for B:TAS. Mr. Hastings will be missed. Condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.

JTMarsh

Wing Commander
Oh man, this is really sad news. He was an awesome Gordon, the one I hear in my head as well when I read Batman comics.

Rest In Peace, Mr. Hastings. :(

the_joker

The takes on the characters in B:TAS are my definitive ones, and Hastings as Gordon is no exception.

Rest well, Bob Hastings.

jkoolpe

Mr. Hastings was another case of perfect casting for the part he played on BTAS. The speech as he delivered it to Batman in "I Am the Night" after he first wakes up from his near-fatal injury saying that he always wanted to be a hero was a particular shining moment for the entire series.

R.I.P. Mr. Hastings.

Wonderwall

Staff member
"I've had cats that made more noise than you do."

RIP Mr Hastings. Been a rough 10 months, First Michael Ansara, then Efrem Zimblast Jr, and now Bob. Just like those two and many more, he'll always be Gordon to me. The only comfort is that all these guys have lived long, plentiful lives.

bigdaddy313

The man has tried and lived life I guess it's time for him to rest.

89 years old.

May he rest in pease

ShadowStar

It's very sad to hear of Bob Hastings' passing - his Gordon was one of the supporting characters who felt very real, warm and charming. I'm very glad we had the pleasure of hearing him in the role, because the exchanges between his Gordon and Conroy's Batman were classic B:TAS and a staple of many episodes. R.I.P. Mr. Hastings.

Aldrius

Arrogant Instigator
I never even heard Michael Ansara died... that sucks.

Gonna miss Bob Hastings. Unfortunately, the only interview I've found with him about B:TAS had him basically saying "I needed to pay the bills." but I think he was just kidding considering even in his twilight years he just kept coming back.

Radical

Banned
Very sad news, Bob Hastings(known for playing Lt. Elroy Carpenter from McHale's Navy) was a fantastic voice actor to brought Commissioner James Gordon to life by doing the role so amazing throughout Batman: The Animated Series.

After missing Lloyd Bochner(Mayor Hamilton Hill), Efrem Zimbalist Jr.(Alfred), and Michael Ansara(Mr. Freeze), Rest In Peace Bob Hastings, you'll be missed:(.

Light Lucario

Staff member
This is really sad news. I always liked his voice for Commissioner Gordon. It fit with the character really well and is usually the default voice I hear whenever I think of the character. I hope that he is at peace and his family and friends will be okay.

Srebak

This is upsetting to hear, and i don't mean to make light of such news, but, isn't there any way to use audio editing to recreate the voice acting of past greats?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts