DC Animation Blu-ray/DVD News & Discussion Thread, Part 17 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow_X

Gotham's Shadow
Hi,

Justice League: Season Two is a definite must-buy now!

Definitely!! Back when the DVD edition was release, I never quite understood why was all the big trouble with the non anamorphic WS, of course back then I had a 4:3 TV so the DVD looked fine to me, but when I got my HDTV, well... let´s just say that I´m very happy with this news :anime:

Can´t wait to see this season in WS anamorphic and on HD!!

Later...

Wag

Ha! I just watched through all seasons of JL/JLU and I guess I'll do it again soon!

Hopefully this means a Blu release of JLU isn't far off because HD transfers are already readily available for purchase through direct-download outlets like Amazon and iTunes.

Now...Where is BatB on Blu?;)

Jiggle-Bot

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

Justice League season 2 on Blu in 16:9. That's pretty much why i got a blu-ray player and high def tv. Though the rest of the stuff on HD is sweet too.

2 discs... hmmm. Is that enough space to fit 26 eps of JL? Season 1 was on a 3 disc set.

Oh well baring a major catastrofu I'm getting this! The brutal episode 1 Darkseid vs Superman in HD!

Adam Tyner

Amazing!
Administrator
2 discs... hmmm. Is that enough space to fit 26 eps of JL? Season 1 was on a 3 disc set.
As a rule, Warner overcompresses all of their animated titles on Blu-ray, and it's been that way for a couple of years now. Every animated title they've put out for a while now is riddled with compression artifacts and heavy banding. Even when there's tons of space available on the disc, Warner still overcompresses the video. I have no idea why they're so insistent on doing that, but they're only getting worse about it. The most recent season of The Venture Bros. (more than four and a half hours of video on one disc!) and Firebreather are particularly bad in that respect.

As a rule, Warner overcompresses all of their animated titles on Blu-ray, and it's been that way for a couple of years now. Every animated title they've put out for a while now is riddled with compression artifacts and heavy banding. Even when there's tons of space available on the disc, Warner still overcompresses the video. I have no idea why they're so insistent on doing that, but they're only getting worse about it. The most recent season of The Venture Bros. (more than four and a half hours of video on one disc!) and Firebreather are particularly bad in that respect.

Good God & Son's Pogostick store, four and a half hours on one disc? That's...pathetic. Simply pathetic.

TemporalFlux

Woo-Hoo! I had given up on season two ever being anamorphic! Really looking forward to this; I haven't been able to stomach watching season two in the limited, tiny box format, so it's been a long time since I watched those great episodes.

Dayspring

Those 3-packs are neat. The fanboy in me is kind of hoping the DC Kids and the JL Blu-ray sell well enough for them to consider continuing the DCAU in some form under that brand. :p

I'll probably buy the DC Universe 3-pack for my cousin since he's been borrowing my DVDs non-stop and since two of his four favorites are on it, but unless it's got some kind of killer bonus the originals don't, I probably won't get it for myself.

John Pannozzi

Leggo my Eggo, mouth breather!
Those 3-packs are neat. The fanboy in me is kind of hoping the DC Kids and the JL Blu-ray sell well enough for them to consider continuing the DCAU in some form under that brand. :p

I'll probably buy the DC Universe 3-pack for my cousin since he's been borrowing my DVDs non-stop and since two of his four favorites are on it, but unless it's got some kind of killer bonus the originals don't, I probably won't get it for myself.

Pardon me for sounding stupid, but what 3-packs are you talking about?

jkoolpe

Yea! Season 2 of JL on Blu!

I had given up, but maybe some decent sales of ROTJ (I got mine) convinced them to finally release S2.

Can't wait to see that Superman/Darkseid dust-up from "Twilight" on Blu...as Timm says on the commentary...he's loves story boarding 2 advisories that simply hate each other going at it, and it always shows in the fight scenes he works on. :D

Thank you WB!

Jonathan

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
A closer look at the cover art for the just-announced Batman: The Brave and The Bold - Season Two, Volume One, along with the initial disc breakdown, is available at The World's Finest.

suss2it

mr jinx said:
I guess it is to keep the Siege of Starro together, but I dont know why they wouldnt just put out 14 episodes instead of 12.

It's easier to fit 12 episodes on two discs rather than 14, the episodes themselves will also be less compressed. But either they're gonna release 14 episode release, unless they skip "Mask of Matches Malone".

Hero Supreme

Mr Jinx No More
It's easier to fit 12 episodes on two discs rather than 14, the episodes themselves will also be less compressed. But either they're gonna release 14 episode release, unless they skip "Mask of Matches Malone".

The first two releases have 13 episodes each - one disc with 6 eps and one with 7. So, it doesn't seem like this has anything to do with compression.

Frankly, as long as they release all of the episodes eventually without using flippers, I don't really care how they do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts