DC Animation Blu-ray/DVD News & Discussion Thread, Part 18 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirben

Not necessarily. WB released LOSH, Teen Titans, and The Batman in widescreen on iTunes, even though they're in fullscreen on DVD. So if they ever get around to putting S2 of LOSH​ on iTunes, chances are it'll be in widescreen.
iTunes is a different format, with iTunes offering their animated/movies in widescreen from the start. Warner Home Video have not switched the DVDs of any animated series to widescreen, when the previous volumes were cropped to full screen.

Only new series been released on DVD, have been available in widescreen, starting with Batman: The Brave and The Bold. Tom and Jerry Tales Season 1 was their last DVD release which was cropped to full screen, which matches the previous DVD volumes.

Kirben

Justice League Season 1 was produced for full frame (see explanation) though, so that DVD release was not a case of cropping at all.

Non-anamorphic widescreen DVD releases are usually just a case of laziness, and unfortunately are still happening with animated titles from various companies.

tenderheartbear

I agree, but you said that widescreen releases began with TBatB.

Following your logic, further JL releases would have been released in fullscreen to match the season 1 release which although not cropped, was fullscreen.

Unless I'm missing the point, in which case my apologies.

Kirben

I agree, but you said that widescreen releases began with TBatB.
No, I said all cartoon series from WHV which were produced for widescreen, and which are been released on DVD for the first time, are been released in widescreen on DVD, starting with Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

Justice League Unlimited could be stated to be their first cartoon series released in widescreen on DVD, but WHV were still releasing many other series cropped on DVD at that time.

Following your logic, further JL releases would have been released in fullscreen to match the season 1 release which although not cropped, was fullscreen.
Unless I'm missing the point, in which case my apologies.
No, I only meant cartoon series which WHV decided to crop when released on DVD.

Hero Supreme

Mr Jinx No More
Worlds Finest is reporting first week sales for Justice League: Doom of 103,000 on DVD and 162,000 for Blu-Ray. Thats a combined sales number of 275,000 units which (likely) puts it just behind Superman: Doomsday as the second highest opening week seller.

This seems like good news not only for Justice League fans, but for fans of the DC animated films which seem to be maintaining fairly consistent sales. So, is Doom II coming?

Here are some rough first week numbers for comparison:

TITLE // DVD // BLU // COMBINED
Superman - Doomsday // 288,236 // //
Justice League - The New Frontier // 136,000 // //
Batman: Gotham Knight // 230,000 // //
Wonder Woman // 107,000 // 17,000 // 124,000
Green Lantern: First Flight // 158,250 // 34,000 // 192,250
Superman / Batman: Public Enemies // 197,629 // //
Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths // 205,000 // 60,000// 265,000
Batman: Under the Red Hood // 140,000 // 115,000 // 255,000
Superman / Batman Apocalypse // 155,000 // 95,000 // 250,000
Superman / Shazam // ~64,500 // ~30,000 // 94,500
All-Star Superman // 122,000 // 65,000 // 187,000
Green Lantern: Emerald Knights // 101,000 // 129,000 // 230,000
Batman: Year One // 65,000 // 102,000 // 167,000

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
Just saw the Best of Batman DVD listed on the first post of this thread, and had to ask why "A Matter of Family" is included on the list. Wasn't that a Brave and Bold episode...? Or was it a The Batman episode...? Confused...

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Just saw the Best of Batman DVD listed on the first post of this thread, and had to ask why "A Matter of Family" is included on the list. Wasn't that a Brave and Bold episode...? Or was it a The Batman episode...? Confused...
"A Matter of Family" was the first episode of the fourth season of The Batman. It introduced Dick Grayson to the series.

suss2it

Worlds Finest is reporting first week sales for Justice League: Doom of 103,000 on DVD and 162,000 for Blu-Ray. Thats a combined sales number of 275,000 units which (likely) puts it just behind Superman: Doomsday as the second highest opening week seller.

This seems like good news not only for Justice League fans, but for fans of the DC animated films which seem to be maintaining fairly consistent sales. So, is Doom II coming?

Here are some rough first week numbers for comparison:

TITLE // DVD // BLU // COMBINED
Superman - Doomsday // 288,236 // //
Justice League - The New Frontier // 136,000 // //
Batman: Gotham Knight // 230,000 // //
Wonder Woman // 107,000 // 17,000 // 124,000
Green Lantern: First Flight // 158,250 // 34,000 // 192,250
Superman / Batman: Public Enemies // 197,629 // //
Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths // 205,000 // 60,000// 265,000
Batman: Under the Red Hood // 140,000 // 115,000 // 255,000
Superman / Batman Apocalypse // 155,000 // 95,000 // 250,000
Superman / Shazam // ~64,500 // ~30,000 // 94,500
All-Star Superman // 122,000 // 65,000 // 187,000
Green Lantern: Emerald Knights // 101,000 // 129,000 // 230,000
Batman: Year One // 65,000 // 102,000 // 167,000
Glad to see it selling so well. Now if only Marvel's DTVs could've been as successful.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Warner Home Video has released the preliminary details for a new two-disc Young Justice DVD collection titled Young Justice: Dangerous Secrets. The two-disc set, hitting shelves July 24th, 2012, will pick up where the Young Justice - Season One, Volume Three DVD left off, collecting the remaining episodes from the first season of the acclaimed Cartoon Network series. Click here for the details.

Bobbywoodhogan

I Will Find Him!
Warner Home Video has released the prilimary details for a new two-disc Young Justice DVD collection titled Young Justice: Dangerous Secrets. The two-disc set, hitting shelves July 24th, 2012, will pick up where the Young Justice - Season One, Volume Three DVD left off, collecting the remaining episodes from the first season of the acclaimed Cartoon Network series. Click here for the details.

That's really bizarre ro release them like this

Bat-Fan Beyond

Thanks, but no thanks, Warner Brothers. I'll wait for the complete first season on Blu-ray. With such high quality animation, this series demands the blu-ray treatment. And in the complete format.

Hero Supreme

Mr Jinx No More
Well, I guess I will go ahead and get the Volume 1,2,3 combo since it doesn't sound like those episodes will be getting any other release at this time. Anyways, at $14 for 12 episodes its not too bad of a deal.

Bobbywoodhogan

I Will Find Him!
Well, I guess I will go ahead and get the Volume 1,2,3 combo since it doesn't sound like those episodes will be getting any other release at this time. Anyways, at $14 for 12 episodes its not too bad of a deal.

It just seems weird to me why pack out the remaining episodes on two discs when you've been releasing sets of 4 on single disc DVD's? They might aswell just do a complete season 1 collection.

Bat-Fan Beyond

It just seems weird to me why pack out the remaining episodes on two discs when you've been releasing sets of 4 on single disc DVD's? They might aswell just do a complete season 1 collection.

I agree. It is weird. What is it with great shows worked on by Greg Weisman getting the terrible home video treatment? This is kind of flipped, but a bit like the screwy release format of Sony's The Spectacular Spider-Man, where I have The Complete First Season Two-Disc set, but if I want the remainder of the series (the second season), I have to get it on four individual volumes! And let's not even mention Disney's incomplete release of Gargoyles.

Bobbywoodhogan

I Will Find Him!
I agree. It is weird. What is it with great shows worked on by Greg Weisman getting the terrible home video treatment? This is kind of flipped, but a bit like the screwy release format of Sony's The Spectacular Spider-Man, where I have The Complete First Season Two-Disc set, but if I want the remainder of the series (the second season), I have to get it on four individual volumes! And let's not even mention Disney's incomplete release of Gargoyles.

Yeah it is dodgy, just wondered what possessed them luckily I own vol. 1-3 so I'll pick this up and not bother if they release a season set later on.

Astrolupine

Man on the wing.
Warner is doing the same treatment with The Looney Tunes Show. Very awkward indeed.

I'll just wait for an inevitable Season 1 Part 1 2-disc or the like, thanks.

Hero Supreme

Mr Jinx No More
Agreed with the above sentiments. I know I have complained about double dips in the past, but this wasn't the solution I was hoping for. Oh well... I am still waiting for Legion of Superheroes season 2, and so just getting all the episodes out there is a start.

Bat-Fan Beyond

Warner is doing the same treatment with The Looney Tunes Show. Very awkward indeed.

I'll just wait for an inevitable Season 1 Part 1 2-disc or the like, thanks.

Yeah, y'know what? I just thought of this. Warner did the same thing once upon time ago when they released the first three seasons of X-Men: Evolution. The first two seasons were each released in four individual volumes, then the third season was released as a complete two disc volume, and then sadly the fourth season was never released.

Bobbywoodhogan

I Will Find Him!
Agreed with the above sentiments. I know I have complained about double dips in the past, but this wasn't the solution I was hoping for. Oh well... I am still waiting for Legion of Superheroes season 2, and so just getting all the episodes out there is a start.

They need to get that out fast, hopefully they'l release it with Man of Steel coming next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts