DC Animation Blu-ray/DVD News & Discussion Thread, Part 18 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Based on the tentative April 2012 release date, details on the Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman Blu-ray will likely hit come mid/late January 2012.

And for those clamoring for a Young Justice box set release, this is the closest we have, the first 3 vols. in one set, I hope there is an actual slip box enclosing them, that makes it slightly more enticing, and the price is not bad considering what the three volumes run right now, owning the first vol., I may go for this. If I hear it doesn't have some sort of slip box around the volumes, then I may be less interested. I also can't find vol. 2 ANYWHERE so I may just wait for this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006PA0WF2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Kirben

And for those clamoring for a Young Justice box set release, this is the closest we have, the first 3 vols. in one set, I hope there is an actual slip box enclosing them, that makes it slightly more enticing, and the price is not bad considering what the three volumes run right now, owning the first vol., I may go for this. If I hear it doesn't have some sort of slip box around the volumes, then I may be less interested. I also can't find vol. 2 ANYWHERE so I may just wait for this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006PA0WF2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Looks like a single keep case, with three DVDs, judging by the details on WB Shop.

I would suggest people continue waiting for real sets, since this is still only 12 episodes, and not even half the first season. Hopefully we will at least see split season sets on DVD in the future.

The worst part of these continued single volumes, is we don't even get a decent amount of episodes. A single volume could easily include 6 - 7 episodes, instead of the usual 4 episodes only.

Raidon Makoto

Long Live The Heroes

I'm waiting for the complete season on Blu-Ray myself. Considering I have yet to see the series, I don't mind waiting a little longer to see it the way it was meant to be seen.

the greenman

Looks like a single keep case, with three DVDs, judging by the details on WB Shop.

I would suggest people continue waiting for real sets, since this is still only 12 episodes, and not even half the first season. Hopefully we will at least see split season sets on DVD in the future.

The worst part of these continued single volumes, is we don't even get a decent amount of episodes. A single volume could easily include 6 - 7 episodes, instead of the usual 4 episodes only.

I will wait also, they might release Season 1. Vol 1 in the Summer or Fall.

"Independence Day" through "Homefront" can't really justify a full release. I would think they would split on "Revelation".

Kirben

I'm waiting for the complete season on Blu-Ray myself. Considering I have yet to see the series, I don't mind waiting a little longer to see it the way it was meant to be seen.
Could be an endless wait, since Warner Brothers still have not released any recent animated series on Blu-Ray.

Justice League Season 1 & 2 are still their only Blu-Ray releases of animated series, which is getting ridiculous.

the greenman

Could be an endless wait, since Warner Brothers still have not released any recent animated series on Blu-Ray.

Justice League Season 1 & 2 are still their only Blu-Ray releases of animated series, which is getting ridiculous.

I find it a little odd they released those first and not the more famous Batman: TAS. I guess JL/JLU was more easily transferable to high-def.

suss2it

I find it a little odd they released those first and not the more famous Batman: TAS. I guess JL/JLU was more easily transferable to high-def.
Justice League was produced in HD, so yeah it definitely was easier to transfer that to Blu-Ray. I don't think it would really matter if they did that for B:TAS​ since they would just be upscaling the footage, something that most Blu-Ray players can already do anyway.

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
Oh no no no. BTAS would need way more than a simple upscale to get on blu-ray. You know that little white "mole" that Batman picked up in the openings? There's a lot of similar grit throughout the episodes that look terrible on DVD let alone anything better. The show needs a proper cleaning, which I bet costs more than the company is willing to spend at this point (in the scheme of things, the show is twenty years old after all, and most of the people interested already have the DVDs).

the greenman

Oh no no no. BTAS would need way more than a simple upscale to get on blu-ray. You know that little white "mole" that Batman picked up in the openings? There's a lot of similar grit throughout the episodes that look terrible on DVD let alone anything better. The show needs a proper cleaning, which I bet costs more than the company is willing to spend at this point (in the scheme of things, the show is twenty years old after all, and most of the people interested already have the DVDs).

Yeah, those were film elements. I guess we'd need a remastering process on the budget and scale of the Looney Tunes shorts, which still isn't complete.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Didn't Bruce Timm say that he wouldn't be a big fan of ''cleaning up'' Batman: The Animated Series for a blu-ray release?

I remember reading his desire for the show to retain that 'vintage' look and worries that removing some of the dirt would take away from that appeal.

Bat Bruce

Didn't Bruce Timm say that he wouldn't be a big fan of ''cleaning up'' Batman: The Animated Series for a blu-ray release?

I remember reading his desire for the show to retain that 'vintage' look and worries that removing some of the dirt would take away from that appeal.

Not blu-ray specifically, but he mentions in the DVD commentaries he's glad they didn't clean it up digitally (when he's not too busy pointing out the big white spot on Batman's lip in the opening :D)

jkoolpe

JLU on Blu-Ray?

I was re-watching some JL, Season 2 on my Blu-ray over the weekend (as my 2 and half year old was also asking to watch it...he loves the superhero stuff already...just have to be a little careful that he understands it's ultimately make believe :) ) which got me to wondering:

Is there any news for some JLU on blu-ray? WB did a great job for the S2 blu-ray release, IMHO, but I want JLU, too!

I see that MotBW is coming to blu-ray which is all fine and dandy...that entry in the DC animated catalog was just OK IMHO, but JLU was truly the best show on TV during its original airing.

Anyone hear anything yet? :) I guess a concurrent release with JL: Doom won't be in the cards...

Wag

I still don't understand why WB doesn't release their new series on Blu like everyone else. BD players are now being sold in the well <$100 range, so it's certainly not an issue of price- and enough people have HDTVs now. I really don't have a logical answer.

I once thought it related to the fact WB might have thought parents only bought DVDs for their kids- maybe they still do? Would be sad if this is their logic behind keeping these series off Blu.

Kirben

I once thought it related to the fact WB might have thought parents only bought DVDs for their kids- maybe they still do? Would be sad if this is their logic behind keeping these series off Blu.
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason, only the animated DTV movies from WB have been getting Blu-ray releases so far.

There still aren't many cartoon series released on Blu-ray overall, with most series (i.e. Futurama, Simpsons, South Park) been aimed more at adults.

Kirben

Based on the tentative April 2012 release date, details on the Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman Blu-ray will likely hit come mid/late January 2012.
Any chance you could get an update from Warner Home Video? still no sign of a release date, especially for April 2012.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Timed to coincide with the release of the theatrical The Dark Knight Rises feature film, Warner Home Video is releasing a special two-disc "Best of" DVD collection spotlighting Batman. Click here for the details.

Any chance you could get an update from Warner Home Video? still no sign of a release date, especially for April 2012.
I have been informed by a Warner Home Video representative that the Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman Blu-ray release has been delayed until later in the year. I will have a specific release date soon.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
WB clearly have their thinking caps on... Very Bane and Catwoman heavy. I may get that release if i'm caught up in my own personal bat-mania, but nice DVD cover aside, it's a waste of money.

Shame about the Blu-ray release of Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman... hope to hear some news about that soon.

tenderheartbear

There's some strange choices of episodes on The Best of Batman release, even taking into account the Bane and Catwoman links (which you wouldn't know unless you were familiar with the episodes).

All but one are from Batman: TAS/TNBA and even they're not in any sort of order, and one from The Batman. The packaging uses the font from Batman: TBatB (even though no episodes appear on the disc) and some random picture of Batman himself that is no way related to any episode (or even to The Dark Knight Rises which it's cashing in on).

If I was doing something like this, I'd have had a couple of episodes of The New Adventures of Batman, Batman: TAS, TNBA, The Batman and Batman: TBatB (12 episodes in total, or 14 with a couple of Justice League ones).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts