DC Comics Animation - Blu-ray/DVD/Digital News & Discussion Thread, Part 19 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowStar

That's fantastic news re. Mask of the Phantasm! I remember speculating about a 15th anniversary or 20th anniversary 'special edition', which unfortunately never came to pass. But this blu-ray re-release will make a lot of people very happy! Such a nice touch given that this year marks the 25th anniversary of BTAS - hopefully there are more nice surprises on the way!

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Info from the facebook page:

So both aspect ratios will be on the disc, for those that have a preference. Which way did the production crew prefer the film? I always just watched it widescreen so it would fill the TV...

I wouldn't know about the crew, but Phantasm started out as a DTV project and then got upgraded to a theatrical effort. Ergo, I'm thinking 16x9 could be considered "the way it was meant to be seen" while 4x3 is "the way you remember seeing it on TV"

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I'm sorely disappointed in the lack of special features. Surely it can't take that much time or effort to pull Burnett/Timm in for a quick 75 minute commentary.

Still, it's wonderful they are even releasing it at all. Hopefully SUBZERO isn't far behind.

Dallas Kinard

I'm sorely disappointed in the lack of special features. Surely it can't take that much time or effort to pull Burnett/Timm in for a quick 75 minute commentary.

Still, it's wonderful they are even releasing it at all. Hopefully SUBZERO isn't far behind.

After freaking out and losing my mind at this amazing news, my first thought was IS SUBZERO NEXT?!?! If so, we will have a complete DCAU Blu Ray Movie collection!

Otaku-sempai

I wouldn't know about the crew, but Phantasm started out as a DTV project and then got upgraded to a theatrical effort. Ergo, I'm thinking 16x9 could be considered "the way it was meant to be seen" while 4x3 is "the way you remember seeing it on TV"
It's really the opposite of that. The movie was actually filmed as 4x3 and had to be re-sized for the theatrical presentation. It is the 4x3 version that is visually more complete--which, of course, is not how this usually works!

The only part that was actually filmed in 16x9 was the opening (and closing?) credits.

Last edited:

jkoolpe

Wow...this just made my day and then some!

I will buy this the second it is released...more than happy to "triple dip" on this one...I bought the VHS tape and the original DVD both on the very day that each was released. Also saw the movie at least 5 or 6 times when it did its all-too-brief and way-under-advertised stint in the theaters.

Yes, it's that good...still the best Batman movie ever in my book.

So glad to FINALLY get a Blu-ray copy...any chance the sound might be upgraded to 5.1 surround? Or maybe an extra or two?

Probably not on either of the latter, but this is still wonderful, wonderful news.

Jon

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
It will be nice not to have a cardboard case or a flipper disc for the movie. XD All my DCAU films, even Return of the Joker are in those cardboard nightmares.

Dallas Kinard

Static Shock Season 3-4 news... (PM on FB)

upload_2017-6-23_15-42-2.png

Jiggle-Bot

It's really the opposite of that. The movie was actually filmed as 4x3 and had to be re-sized for the theatrical presentation. It is the 4x3 version that is visually more complete--which, of course, is not how this usually works!

The only part that was actually filmed in 16x9 was the opening (and closing?) credits.

I recall it was either from the Batman Animated book or the Bruce Timm Modern Masters that they found out late in the piece that TPTB wanted to do a theatrical run for the film so they literally cut out of cardboard a widescreen frame and placed it over the cells to see if it worked and it did.

Too bad we're not getting a director's commentary, it would have been so informative. Paul Dini hints that the production of this movie is worthy of its own story in Dark Night - A True Batman Story. :sad:

Otaku-sempai

Too bad we're not getting a director's commentary, it would have been so informative. Paul Dini hints that the production of this movie is worthy of its own story in Dark Night - A True Batman Story. :sad:
I agree; this release of Mask of the Phantasm cries out for a commentary track. It is almost criminal that one has never been recorded for this.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will release a new 30-movie DC Universe Original Movies: 10th Anniversary collection later this year, hitting digital outlets on August 15, 2017 and coming to Blu-ray on November 7. Click the image below for initial details!

t-DCU_10ANNIV_V_DD_KA_TT_2000x3000_300dpi_EN_r6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts