DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 11 (Spoilers)

the greenman

On one hand, non-U.S. and U.S. sources have reported titles/info early before. The former usually with dub actors. The latter, we've seen a certain site report on Red Son and Long Halloween long before they were officially announced. So I take it as 50:50.

On the other hand, my initial reaction to this possibly being true could be best described with a Larry David gif.
giphy.gif

I'm not as beholden to Crisis as others are. Crisis is usually used to clean house otherwise, imo, it's a messy story. Why does the DTV division want to adapt this and use all the animated franchises? As others pointed out, Flash just reset the timeline in Apokolips War. CW did theirs a few years ago. Did the powers that be ask Lukic to? I'm curious if Kingdom Come was also in the running.
I think this is being brought up because of the Multiverse Trend. So if they truly try this, it could be interesting.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Otaku-sempai

I guess it depends on what the plan is with it. A celebration of their various animated series? Adapting more into the Lukic-continuity (that, granted, has barely been established as is)? Adapt one of the most seminal DC stories in animated form for the first time? Do the best version of the Anti-Monitor?

For the flack that Long Halloween got for not having the budget to adapt Tim Sale's art style, adapting Kingdom Come without the budget Timm felt they needed to adapt the story properly would...probably not end well in my opinion.
Well, as I've said in the past, I would adapt Kingdom Come as a 4-part OAV series and give each chapter the budget of one of the full DTV movies. Each chapter might be 40-45 minutes long.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Regarding the quality of Crisis, it seems to me a masterpiece, I find it hard to believe that there are people who are not excited about Crisis, it is a beautiful and epic story of the end of the world. The lands being devoured. The heroes of all lands fighting for the Multiverse to survive. I'm more excited than 99% of the movies chosen since Superman / Doomsday!
To each their own.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
A similar format to Aquaman King of Atlantis could work - an animated trilogy with each episode being around 45 minutes long. Though presumably they would use "better" character designs and a more serious tone for a "Crisis" or "Kingdom Come" project.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I'm wondering how many of these universes will actually have some significant focus and which ones will likely be small roles. I'm assuming CGI stuff like Green Lantern: TAS, Beware the Batman, Batman Ninja, Battle of the Super Sons, etc. (no Lego DC sadly) will likely be cameos because of the entirely different animation styles. Even within the 2D realm, I think using assets from multiple projects will have its challenges.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I'm probably over-thinking this :p, but might the Teen Titans Go & DC Super Hero Girls: Mayhem in the Multiverse movie be prologue to this "Crisis on Infinite Earths"? For one thing Supergirl seemed to be absent from the preview released so far and the character did die in the original comic story.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
In an interview with Ernie Altbacker, at the 16:50 mark, he revealed the original idea for the second Justice League Dark DTV was "a really demonic Constantine story." At 21:33, he said in Mairghread Scott's draft of Apokolips War, Superman was the lead. When Altbacker came back, he made Constantine the lead.

Last edited:

Otaku-sempai

A similar format to Aquaman King of Atlantis could work - an animated trilogy with each episode being around 45 minutes long. Though presumably they would use "better" character designs and a more serious tone for a "Crisis" or "Kingdom Come" project.
I would produce Kingdom Come in four parts to match the four chapters of the graphic novel.

Frontier

Staff member
In an interview with Ernie Altbacker, at the 16:50 mark, he revealed the original idea for the second Justice League Dark DTV was "a really demonic Constantine story." At 21:33, he said in Mairghread Scott's draft of Apokolips War, Superman was the lead. When Altbacker came back, he made Constantine the lead.
I would say in the final film they're pretty much co-leads :).

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Yeah I meant to say Aquaman had an animated mini-series with each episode being around 45 minutes long. Similar to Adventure Time: Distant Lands (which was 4 episodes) before, though that one was more of an anthology instead of it telling a single story.

EDIT: A Metal Men animated movie is in the works - News & Discussion Thread.

Last edited:

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
In this video, a few cast members from Justice League/JLU state that they know nothing about a Crisis on Infinite Earths animated trilogy. It really doesn't look like they are bluffing to me, but you never know. Perhaps voice recording has not taken place yet but when these projects leak, the studio is usually pretty far along.

I wonder if it's mainly a story involving the Tucker/Lukic universes with non vocal cameo appearances from other iterations of the DC characters? It would certainly help to keep costs down.

Frontier

Staff member
In this video, a few cast members from Justice League/JLU state that they know nothing about a Crisis on Infinite Earths animated trilogy. It really doesn't look like they are bluffing to me, but you never know. Perhaps voice recording has not taken place yet but when these projects leak, the studio is usually pretty far along.

I wonder if it's mainly a story involving the Tucker/Lukic universes with non vocal cameo appearances from other iterations of the DC characters? It would certainly help to keep costs down.
I would also assume it's probably likely that heavy NDA's are going on...

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I thought I'd post this here as well, even though it gives absolutely NO indication it is a DC Comics based project. Still, Morales seems to be on the DC Animated Movies/Showcase Shorts these days, so there is a good chance. At the very least, it'll be interesting to see what project they are working on, seeing as Robert J. Kral has been Morales' composer of choice.

Frontier

Staff member
I thought I'd post this here as well, even though it gives absolutely NO indication it is a DC Comics based project. Still, Morales seems to be on the DC Animated Movies/Showcase Shorts these days, so there is a good chance. At the very least, it'll be interesting to see what project they are working on, seeing as Robert J. Kral has been Morales' composer of choice.

Considering the space background, I wonder if this is for Green Lantern: Beware My Power...

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Maybe it could be that rumored Scooby Doo/Krypto The Super Dog project teased a few months ago. Rick Morales is supposedly part of that project, and the musical trio have been part of a few Scooby Doo movies like Mask Of The Blue Falcon.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Maybe it could be that rumored Scooby Doo/Krypto The Super Dog project teased a few months ago. Rick Morales is supposedly part of that project, and the musical trio have been part of a few Scooby Doo movies like Mask Of The Blue Falcon.

I had forgotten about the Scooby/Kyrpto project. Seems quite logical to me... good call.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts