DC Comics Animation - Physical/Digital Media News & Discussion Thread, Part 20 (Spoilers)

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has announced a Blu-ray collection for Superman: The Animated Series will hit shelves starting October 12, 2021. The Superman: The Complete Animated Series Blu-ray release will feature the entire series fully remastered plus hours of bonus material. A digital Superman: The Complete Animated Series release will also be available on the same date. Click here or on the image below for more!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Woot, woot. Excellent news! Had a strong feeling they would release it around the 25th anniversary! :D

Spider-Man

We all knew this set was coming but the announcement was still a surprise! Must buy for sure! Glad that the core DCAU titles will all be out on Blu now!

-batmat-

Wonderful news. Being on HBO Max already, we know what we're getting already, so thats good.

I hope I manage to get a copy. I'm still so sad about Batman Beyond, I really don't like how the HD version of it looks, and Im dissapointed I won't get the blu ray set because of that. DVDs will have to do.

--

EDIT
So uhm, did anyone else noticed there's a lot of commentaries missing? They're listing only 3 audio and 1 video commentaries. What happened?

Last edited:

Jiggle-Bot

Awesome news!

This is a bit sacrilegious but whilst I liked the art style from BTAS, I preferred the pacing from Superman better. The action also had more punch to it.

I look forward to revisiting some of the episodes in HD and hopefully they don't suffer from the transfer issue that marred some of the Batman Beyond HD transfers as well as a handful of scenes (but most of the Grudge Match episode) from the last season of JLU HD release.

Pure speculation but perhaps STAS might be okay as it looks like the transfer issue only occurred for the digitally colored episodes that have been 'lost' and I think STAS was still traditionally-colored.

It's also a broader view for me as well, whilst BTAS had the style, I preferred Superman, Batman Beyond TNBA and culminating in JL/JLU.

Mask of the Phantasm was awesome though and remains one of my fav movies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
So uhm, did anyone else noticed there's a lot of commentaries missing? They're listing only 3 audio and 1 video commentaries. What happened?
Mmm, yeah, like six of ten commentaries (Tools of the Trade, Brave New Metropolis, World's Finest Part 1, Apokolips...Now! Part 1, Apokolips...Now! Part 2, New Kids in Town, Legacy Part 2) are not mentioned in the press release. Hmm. Some oversight or some legalities that couldn't be cleared (i.e. someone on a commentary track mentions an i.p. owned by another company).

Last edited:

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Excellent news!!

Shame about the commentaries, but I don't plan on getting rid of my old S:TAS DVD's anyway, so it's fine.

the greenman

Wonderful news. Being on HBO Max already, we know what we're getting already, so thats good.

I hope I manage to get a copy. I'm still so sad about Batman Beyond, I really don't like how the HD version of it looks, and Im dissapointed I won't get the blu ray set because of that. DVDs will have to do.

--

EDIT
Mmm, yeah, like six of ten commentaries (Tools of the Trade, Brave New Metropolis, World's Finest Part 1, Apokolips...Now! Part 1, Apokolips...Now! Part 2, New Kids in Town, Legacy Part 2) are not mentioned in the press release. Hmm. Some oversight or some legalities that couldn't be cleared (i.e. someone on a commentary track mentions an i.p. owned by another company).
This is, to me, becoming the largest regret of having digital upgraded stuff. As @Yojimbo mentioned it is possible the legalities is keeping them from releasing these.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Expected news, but fantastic all the same! I haven't seen so much of Superman: The Animated Series in years (no HBO Max in the UK, sadly) so seeing it in HD will be fantastic!

The DCAU on Blu ray collection is almost complete!

Jiggle-Bot

Yes I thought the commentary tracks were a little sparse, over at Gizmodo it was reported that:

Then there are new audio commentaries on three episodes (Stolen Memories, The Last Son of Krypton Part 1, and The Main Man Part 2) and even a video commentary featuring producer Bruce Timm, producer-writer Paul Dini, and director Dan Riba for the episode Mxyzpixilated.
So perhaps the commentaries being referred to are only the new ones? But the ones mentioned at Gizmodo were also on the DVD's too. Maybe they re-recorded them? The Mxyzpixilated video commentary sounds new though.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
So perhaps the commentaries being referred to are only the new ones? But the ones mentioned at Gizmodo were also on the DVD's too. Maybe they re-recorded them? The Mxyzpixilated video commentary sounds new though.
Pretty sure Mxyzpixilated had a video commentary on the DVD set, too, at Dini's place. I think Gizmodo's writer made a mistake. The only thing new in the official press release is the featurette Timeless Icon.

Hanshotfirst1138

Morphinomenal!
I hope they rectify the missing extras and commentaries. They had them all on the BTAS/BB discs, didn’t they? I’d hate to have to hang onto the DVDs for that, that would really stink.

PS: What audio glitch on the JLU disc? Was it never fixed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hanshotfirst1138

Morphinomenal!
So, the back cover art confirms the commentaries are on 4 episodes alone. I wonder what happened with the other commentaries.

Man, that really stinks. I’d hate to hold onto my old DVDs for the extras, but I guess I’ll have to :(. Will this have an HD code or not?

Spider-Man

Man, that really stinks. I’d hate to hold onto my old DVDs for the extras, but I guess I’ll have to :(. Will this have an HD code or not?

Given that the cover art says Digital Code then yeah clearly. And since WB said the HD episodes are getting a digital release too it's safe to assume the code will be HD too.

Is there any explanation for the missing commentaries yet?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts