Nintendo's next console

Light Lucario

Staff member
The only question I have is: Was this the last main Nintendo Direct before the reveal of the new console?

Let's say the new "Switch 2" is indeed revealed next Spring (maybe March, for instance, which is right around the end of Nintendo's fiscal year). Are they going to have another Nintendo Direct before then?

I don't think there will be a "main" 40 to 50 minute NIntendo Direct in November or December. Maybe a 10 to 20 minute "Indie Direct" (in which they focus on "Indie" games from smaller publishers).

But there's usually a "main" (Big) Nintendo Direct by February each year. The 3 "big" Nintendo Directs are usually in February, June, and September. Just wondering if the next "big" Nintendo Direct occurs before the reveal of the "Switch 2".
It's quite possible that this previous Nintendo Direct was the last one before they reveal the new console. Assuming that they keep the usual pattern of when they have Nintendo Directs, announcing the system in February would make more sense than in June. June wouldn't be that late to make the announcement, so that wouldn't be impossible, but I think announcing the system earlier in the year would give them more time to hype and promote it than if they waited until June. It's also possible that the system won't be revealed for next year. Granted, that might be less likely given the rumors and how long the Switch has been out, but it wouldn't be a stretch if they waited another year for their new console to be released either.

Asa

I wonder what the game case will look like for Nintendo's 9th generation system?

I also wonder what the game card's appearance will look like?

SNS

My prediction is that this would be like going to 3DS from DS. So the cases would be very similar and the game cards as well (with a plastic part to prevent them from being inserted into a Switch). By not having the game cards too different, it wouldn't complicate BC with a second card port (that would also increase production cost).

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Spotted recently. Henderson is the owner of gaming outlet Insider Gaming.

Asa

Moe

They don't means end the support outright, but rather, uncertain after 2025.

Nintendo continued to release games on 3DS for 2 years after Switch released with last Nintendo title released in 2019, but ironically, DS has bigger base, compared to 3DS and last Nintendo title for DS was in 2012, one year after 3DS released.

In possible scenario, earlier for "Switch 2" would be in November 2024. If March 2024, Nintendo would need to announce by now in October. If no "Switch 2" announcement in entire of 2024, I would be whoa and wonder about what's up with Nintendo. If latest, it could be 2025. 2026 would be worst scenario. There is probability about whether "Switch 2" would be released.

2024: 65% chance.
2025: 25% chance.
2026: 10% chance.

Asa

Furukawa has backed up any misconceptions/rumors about the next system.

Not the first time Nintendo has denied any console rumors only for them to turn out true (ex. 3DS not getting any product facelifts until the XL model arrived to the public eye).

The final five years of the 2020’s decade (2024-2029) are going to be tough, challenging, and surprising not just for Nintendo, but for Sony and Microsoft as well.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
In possible scenario, earlier for "Switch 2" would be in November 2024. If March 2024, Nintendo would need to announce by now in October. If no "Switch 2" announcement in entire of 2024, I would be whoa and wonder about what's up with Nintendo. If latest, it could be 2025. 2026 would be worst scenario. There is probability about whether "Switch 2" would be released.

Nintendo doesn't need a big reveal window for the Switch 2. The Switch was formally unvieled in January and released in March and it sold more than fine.

If the Switch 2 is iterative, one Nintendo Direct explaining the new features and showing the launch lineup will do the trick.

Moe

The Switch was formally unvieled in January and released in March and it sold more than fine.
Actually, first announcement about Switch was started on October 20, 2016 and January 2017 is one for full detail on Switch.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
Actually, first announcement about Switch was started on October 20, 2016 and January 2017 is one for full detail on Switch.

Yes, but that was a single teaser video that did not give any details. The actual official unveiling was the one where Nintendo explained what the thing was.

If the Switch 2 is a straightfoward evolution, Nintendo doesn't need to do a prior teaser video this time.

Moe

Yes, but that was a single teaser video that did not give any details. The actual official unveiling was the one where Nintendo explained what the thing was.

If the Switch 2 is a straightfoward evolution, Nintendo doesn't need to do a prior teaser video this time.
If it was Wii to Wii U routine - first announcement for Wii U was at E3 in 2011 and full detail didn't start until 2 months prior to Wii U launch.

The situation for Switch was different due to failure of Wii U that pushed Nintendo to release new console sooner, later to be Switch and Nintendo stopped rely on E3 - it means Nintendo would announce on their own.

I doubt that they would issue a first announcement (teaser) within 2 months prior to console release and they need more time to market their new console to new customers. I do feel that 4-5 months for teaser and 2 months for full detail are safe.

In my post #46, I'm focused on first announcement, not full detail to determine whether new console would be released and previous Nintendo consoles come with multiple announcement with first in between 5 months to 1+ year and full detail in few months prior to new console release.

Make matter more confusing, Nintendo already patented new dual screen - more uncertain about what next-gen console would looks like.

Due to history with Nintendo's previous gen of consoles, I'm not too optimistic and it could be turn out to be disappointing. I rather to wait and see until teaser is released and it does give an idea about what new console would looks like.

Asa

Given how E3 is officially no longer around, Nintendo will likely find alternative ways to tease their new console (possibly a standalone presentation) and it could be shown at different gaming conventions (such as the Tokyo Game Show).

Moe

Given how E3 is officially no longer around, Nintendo will likely find alternative ways to tease their new console (possibly a standalone presentation) and it could be shown at different gaming conventions (such as the Tokyo Game Show).
Full detail with Nintendo Switch wasn't revealed at E3 and they revealed at Nintendo's own presentation in Tokyo.

Asa

Now that it’s officially 2024, could this be the year Nintendo finally reveals the system to the public eye for the first time? Could this be the year the whole “fake/rumors about the successor” fiasco finally break?

I feel like this year could turn out to be quite different from the past six years for Nintendo, given how the current fiscal year plans to end by March.

Moe

Probably 50%-65% chance to see next-gen console this year.

Switch would be 7 years and their lifespan would be slightly longer than DS that lasted nearly 7 years before 3DS launched in 2011. All other Nintendo consoles last 5-6 years. Game Boy was longest with 9 years before Game Boy Color released.

Even after next-gen console releases, Nintendo would continue to release first party games to Switch for 2-3 years.

Asa

Switch 2 ‘likely to be iteration rather than revolution’, predicts analyst | VGC

Serkan Toto has made a rumor that the next system could end up being an iteration, instead of a revolution. It could be priced for $400.

If these rumors are true, then it’s likely the next system could add a few new elements that weren’t present on the original Switch.

It would be kind of like how the Gameboy Color was basically an iteration of the original Gameboy, the 3DS being DS’s iteration, and the Wii U being the Wii’s iteration.

It would also mean Nintendo could finally return to their cross-generation business practices after seven years.

However, things are subjective to change, so we should wait for an official announcement from Nintendo at some point this year.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
I don't think we're going to see new Nintendo hardware massively reinvent the wheel. That was more of an Iwata-era thing.

The Switch is the second highest selling hardware Nintendo's ever had. Why mess with a good thing?

Asa

I don't think we're going to see new Nintendo hardware massively reinvent the wheel. That was more of an Iwata-era thing.

The Switch is the second highest selling hardware Nintendo's ever had. Why mess with a good thing?
Which is why I think the next hardware could end up being a iteration instead of a revolution.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Bloomberg reports on an industry analyst saying the signs point to Nintendo's switch successor shipping with an 8-inch LCD screen. For some context, Switch's screen is 6.2 and it was bumped to 7 for Switch OLED.

Nintendo Co. will launch a new game console this year with an 8-inch LCD screen, according to Omdia analyst Hiroshi Hayase.

The new device from the Kyoto-based games maker will be responsible for a doubling in shipments of so-called amusement displays in 2024, Hayase said in Tokyo on Friday. His research focuses on small and medium displays and he bases annual forecasts on checks with companies in the supply chain.

Nintendo’s seven-year-old Switch has sold over 132 million units and is approaching the end of its life cycle. The company has been tight-lipped about any potential successor, but expectations have narrowed to this year’s holiday period for the release of the next generation.

Osaka-based Sharp Corp. last year said it was supplying LCD panels and working closely with the maker of an upcoming console that was then at the R&D stage. Sharp, which is owned by Foxconn Technology Group, has worked with Nintendo in the past and served as a Switch assembler during the pandemic.

I would rate this as extremely credible, if only because there does not seem to be a viable alternative explanation for what else Sharp would be increasing production for.

harry580

if nintendo made switch 2, I hope its plays switch games, I mean, wii plays gamecube games & wii u plays Wii games so why not the same?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts