"DC Super Hero Girls" (Television Series) News & Discussion, Part 3 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
dcsuperherogirlsTVartmay212018.jpg

Sundays at 4 pm

Details at The World's Finest

Warner Bros. Animation has kicked off production on DC Super Hero Girls, which follows not-so-typical teenagers Diana, Kara and Barbara. Alongside their superhero friends, they have much more to deal with than just protecting the citizens of Metropolis from some of the most sinister schoolage supervillains of the DC Universe.
The action-comedy series from producer Lauren Faust (My Little Pony, The Powerpuff Girls) is set to premiere next year on Cartoon Network. Sam Register (Teen Titans Go!, Justice League Action) serves as executive producer.
From the network: Gal pals Bumblebee, Zatanna and Green Lantern Jessica Cruz are always there to lend an ear, a shoulder to cry on and a fist to punch with, and their bros in the Justice League amp up the fun whether they’re at a concert or taking down a crime ring. But what happens when Diana and her favorite study buddy and fencing partner, Tatsu, can’t agree on how to dole out justice as Wonder Woman and Katana? Or when Barbara finds out her Gotham-Con bestie is teen-fiend Harley Quinn? Along with all their friends, foes and frenemies, this squad of super teens navigates the unique growing pains that come when you’re a teenager trying to fight the battles of the world and the battles of growing up at the same time.

Links: Super Shorts Talkback, Part 1 News Thread, Part 2 News Thread, Season 1 Talkback, Digital Comic Talkback, Graphic Novel Talkback, Giant #1 Talkback, Giant #2 Talkback, Soundtrack Talkback, Teen Power Video Game Talkback,

Continuing from the previous thread, here are the episodes scheduled to air in April:

4/5/20 #AllAboutZee
Zee Zatara is flattered when she meets an overeager admirer named Casey Krinsky, but soon realizes that “her biggest fan” wants much more than just an autograph.
4/12/20 #TweenTitans
Jessica Cruz is hired by billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne to chaperone young Dick Grayson's Metropolis birthday bash and brings Karen Beecher along to help, but the girls get more than they bargained for when the TWEEN party guests reveal their TITANic personalities.
4/19/20 #EmperorPenguin
4/26/20 #BreakingNews

Last edited by a moderator:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
New loglines and at least one episode in May, courtesy of @James Harvey.
Production #33 / Airdate #40: #EmperorPenguin - 4/19/2020
When Barbara Gordon attempts to do something nice for a friend, she ends up in the clutches of the Penguin, a high school mob boss who blackmails her into an increasingly desperate situation from which only Batgirl can save her.

#46 / 41: #BreakingNews - 4/26/2020
Lois Lane's attempt to get an internship at the Daily Planet leads to her trying to unmask the Super Hero Girls, which forces the girls to a battle of wits with their greatest nemesis yet.

#34 / 42: #CrashCourse - 5/3/2020
When a high-speed chase breaks out during her driver’s test, Diana Prince’s desire to fight evil clashes with her desire to undergo a World of Man teenage rite of passage, getting her license.

Frontier

Staff member
New loglines and at least one episode in May, courtesy of @James Harvey.
I wonder who the friend is Babs is trying to help...wasn't expecting Penguin to be a teenage crime boss o_O.

So "#BreakingNews" is a Lois episode! And it's spent doing the thing Lois did best in the Silver Age, trying to expose Superhero Secret Identities. I wonder if we'll see Perry and Clark :)?

I wonder if the high speed chase involves those masked goons who appear occasionally :confused:?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I wonder who the friend is Babs is trying to help...wasn't expecting Penguin to be a teenage crime boss o_O.
True, but of the Batman rogues they've made Catwoman, Harley, Ivy, and Cavalier into teens already while only Mr. Freeze and Joker so far have been revealed/implied to be adults. I guess the odds were Penguin would be a teen. For some reason, the logline made me think of Al Capone.

I wonder if the high speed chase involves those masked goons who appear occasionally :confused:?
Could be!

Eldorado

True, but of the Batman rogues they've made Catwoman, Harley, Ivy, and Cavalier into teens already while only Mr. Freeze and Joker so far have been revealed/implied to be adults. I guess the odds were Penguin would be a teen. For some reason, the logline made me think of Al Capone.

Could be!

I actually had a feeling that he'd be a teen since it was announced that Alexander Pollinksy would voice him. But, I figured that Penguin would be a secret identity of Oswald Cobblepot who was already a threat to Gotham before he moved to Metropolis.

As for Joker, since they made Bruce into his 20's in this incarnation I can only imagine Joker is around the same age. It would be interesting to see a young almost teenage Joker.

Frontier

Staff member
I actually had a feeling that he'd be a teen since it was announced that Alexander Pollinksy would voice him. But, I figured that Penguin would be a secret identity of Oswald Cobblepot who was already a threat to Gotham before he moved to Metropolis.

As for Joker, since they made Bruce into his 20's in this incarnation I can only imagine Joker is around the same age. It would be interesting to see a young almost teenage Joker.
I think Joker is an adult. Harley idolizes him like Babs does Batman.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
But, this incarnation of Batman is a young adult like Superman.
Yeah... isn't Frontier also saying he's probably in Batman and Superman's age range? This show has basically given us 3 generations - the young adults, the teenagers, and the tweens - so far. Four I guess if you count the likes of Hippolyta.

JWR

I think that making Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman younger was a misstep.

SweetShop209

Well the DC Superhero Girls franchise as a whole makes Wonder Woman a teenager (see the 2015 series and the Lego DC Superhero Girls projects) to help appeal to younger girls. From the perception of the general public, she's a much more familiar character compared to Wonder Girl. This is hardly a surprise.

JWR

I get that, but I think it would have been neat for Donna Troy to be the main character and have Diana being a big sister figure for Donna to look up to as she tries to fill her shoes.

As for Superman being an adult, I think it would be better if he were a hokey, overprotective big brother/father figure for Kara. If he HAD to be a teenager, why not just have him be a well-meaning dork to juxtapose Kara being a rebellious, party girl rather than him being an egocentric ass. Either one would be more interesting than the two of them hating each other and being at each other's throats all the time.

SweetShop209

Lauren Faust mentioned on Twitter how the Diana/Hippolyta dynamic in the pilot is based on what the Diana/Donna Troy dynamic would've been like if Super Best Friends Forever got a full series. Said dynamic was shown to be rather frosty to say the least. Since this show is pretty much a spiritual successor to that, any dynamic Diana and Donna would've had would've likely been more strained. Plus, given the treatment of young characters in this series (Lena Luthor being really over the top in her villainy while Lex is more subtle, the Tween Titans acting like rambunctious 5 year olds, Robin being a jerk, and Garth being a butt monkey), I'm not sure that idea would carry over here.

JWR

Fair enough. Perhaps that's just a creative flourish that I'm just not fond of. I still wish that Superman in SBFF carried over.

Then again, I find that the show kind of has a similar issue with most of its male characters.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member

Lauren Faust mentioned on Twitter how the Diana/Hippolyta dynamic in the pilot is based on what the Diana/Donna Troy dynamic would've been like if Super Best Friends Forever got a full series. Said dynamic was shown to be rather frosty to say the least. Since this show is pretty much a spiritual successor to that, any dynamic Diana and Donna would've had would've likely been more strained. Plus, given the treatment of young characters in this series (Lena Luthor being really over the top in her villainy while Lex is more subtle, the Tween Titans acting like rambunctious 5 year olds, Robin being a jerk, and Garth being a butt monkey), I'm not sure that idea would carry over here.
I kind of wonder if Lauren Fast has a thing for dysfunctional sibling relationships :sweat:.

SweetShop209

I kind of wonder if Lauren Faust has a thing for dysfunctional sibling relationships :sweat:.
Well, Mac and Terrence don't exactly have an ideal relationship (she was credited for the story in every Foster's episode unlike PPG even though Craig created the shows), so some elements would carry over. Also, while MLP has had healthy sibling relationships since the start, the younger siblings (as well as kid characters overall) as characters were more well received when she left.

Last edited:

Eldorado

I just thought of how Plastic Man could be used in this series.

He and Woozy Winks would both be attending Metropolis High, and at school the two of them would be juvenile delinquents (with PM going by his real name Patrick O'Brian) but AFTER school the two of them would fight crime as Plastic Man and his sidekick. Why? Because Patrick knows that a "bad boy" like him wouldn't secretly be a "good guy" like Plastic Man.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
I just thought of how Plastic Man could be used in this series.

He and Woozy Winks would both be attending Metropolis High, and at school the two of them would be juvenile delinquents (with PM going by his real name Patrick O'Brian) but AFTER school the two of them would fight crime as Plastic Man and his sidekick. Why? Because Patrick knows that a "bad boy" like him would secretly be a "good guy" like Plastic Man.
Like a reverse Green Hornet, kind of :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts