DCAU panels at San Diego Comic Con over the years

Ed Nygma

Does anyone have any memories of these SDCC panels and what occurred in them? I went to a few but some are lost to time as there was no youtube, and even write-ups on Newsarama are now lost media.

I have fond recollections of the 1999 DC animation panel where @b.t. and the gang showed Legacy part 1 and 2 seven months early. That one was a banger, everyone gasped during the final fight. I can't remember if the entirety of Return of the Joker was shown in 2000. 2001 had the Justice League preview but what was shown I can't recall, and I have some strong memory of a 2006 panel where JLU was eulogized and the Doomsday DTV was teased. Oh, and Mystery of the Batwoman shown in full in 2003, I went to a focus group after about the movie. I think some Toonzone members were there but didn't anyone then.

The best sounds like one I never went to (too young) and can't find any write-up of- the 1992 pre-BTAS panel where Two Face part 1 was shown. But not part 2, and the crowd "rioted", according to Mark Hamill. That sounds so awesome, imagine having no clue what to expect with this new cartoon and seeing *that* episode. I still think TF pt 1 is the best of the series, just gorgeous animation and unnerving story.

Anyway, don't know if anyone has any recollection of others or their own experiences.

-batmat-

Two-Face Part 1 is also my favorite episode so I can't imagine watching it for the first time like that! All the other memories sound awesome too, watching these classic stuff ahead of time and meeting and chatting the creators sounds amazing.

b.t.

One of my very favorite DCAU Con panels was the year we debuted “Divided We Fall” at SDCC at the height of JLU-mania. The audience was extremely enthusiastic and appreciative from the get-go, cheering and clapping and laughing at all the right moments, but when Flash’s “Speed Force” sequence kicked in, oh man, it was INSANE. James calls it our “Beatles at Shea Stadium Moment” — the cheers started when the audience realized what was happening and when the Flash POV shot came on, showing him circumnavigating the entire earth in seconds, they were literally screaming and roaring with excitement. It was like watching the Millenium Falcon jumping to lightspeed for the first time or Cap catching Mjolnir, it was that big a jolt of audience adrenaline. I don’t think we’ve ever had a bigger reaction to one of our screenings, before or since.

-batmat-

One of my very favorite DCAU Con panels was the year we debuted “Divided We Fall” at SDCC at the height of JLU-mania. The audience was extremely enthusiastic and appreciative from the get-go, cheering and clapping and laughing at all the right moments, but when Flash’s “Speed Force” sequence kicked in, oh man, it was INSANE. James calls it our “Beatles at Shea Stadium Moment” — the cheers started when the audience realized what was happening and when the Flash POV shot came on, showing him circumnavigating the entire earth in seconds, they were literally screaming and roaring with excitement. It was like watching the Millenium Falcon jumping to lightspeed for the first time or Cap catching Mjolnir, it was that big a jolt of audience adrenaline. I don’t think we’ve ever had a bigger reaction to one of our screenings, before or since.
Whoa, that sounds incredible! I still remember watching JL and JLU for the first time (on DVD) when I was around 18 or so, with my then-girlfriend. She wanted to space out episodes, but when we got to the final episodes of the Cadmus ARC, I was so excited episode after episode, it was raining outside so we just binged all of them, Epilogue included. Felt like I was 5 years old. I'll be forever grateful!

jkoolpe

I was at the 2001 DCAU panel where they premiered the 1st episode of JL "Secret Origins." I can't remember though if it was just the first few minutes or the whole episode. I think it was the former...

I remember Bruce Timm and most (maybe all?) of the main production crew being there.

I don't remember a whole lot of other specifics, but I do recall it being completely packed, being absolutely thrilled to be there, and being so happy to see these characters on the screen (in particular with Kevin Conroy back once again as Batman) and finally knowing of course that everything was in the best hands possible going forward.

And of course they went on to more than exceed our expectations and then some :) .

I do remember Bruce saying that Hawkgirl was chosen over Hawkman to have more than just a single gal as a main cast member, and that John Stewart was chosen over Hal Jordan to also increase the diversity (to include an African American).

I sure do miss the series...truly one of the best shows of all time (animated or otherwise). With all of the revivals happening these days (some of which are, shall we say...questionable as to whether or not they should be revived ;) ), can't we bring this series back?

Jon

Ed Nygma

I was at the 2001 DCAU panel where they premiered the 1st episode of JL "Secret Origins." I can't remember though if it was just the first few minutes or the whole episode. I think it was the former...

I remember Bruce Timm and most (maybe all?) of the main production crew being there.

I don't remember a whole lot of other specifics, but I do recall it being completely packed, being absolutely thrilled to be there, and being so happy to see these characters on the screen (in particular with Kevin Conroy back once again as Batman) and finally knowing of course that everything was in the best hands possible going forward.

And of course they went on to more than exceed our expectations and then some :) .

I do remember Bruce saying that Hawkgirl was chosen over Hawkman to have more than just a single gal as a main cast member, and that John Stewart was chosen over Hal Jordan to also increase the diversity (to include an African American).

I sure do miss the series...truly one of the best shows of all time (animated or otherwise). With all of the revivals happening these days (some of which are, shall we say...questionable as to whether or not they should be revived ;) ), can't we bring this series back?

Jon
I remember that too! I think it was the most packed of any of the DCAU panels. I seem to remember it being a few clips as well.

Did you attend any others, like the Return of the Joker preview the prior year? That one I'm blanking on. I'd have to dig out the old Comic Con programs and go through them one by one to see which years had a panel, since sadly any info is long since lost to the wind...

jkoolpe

I remember that too! I think it was the most packed of any of the DCAU panels. I seem to remember it being a few clips as well.

Did you attend any others, like the Return of the Joker preview the prior year? That one I'm blanking on. I'd have to dig out the old Comic Con programs and go through them one by one to see which years had a panel, since sadly any info is long since lost to the wind...
Did they show clips from more than one episode? Maybe...again, I don't recall...I think I was just so awestruck being the presence of the folks who I so admired for finally bringing versions of my favorite heroes to the small screen that were finally done right with an appeal to both younger and older audiences, and they all so clearly knew their stuff as well as their audience (unlike the folks in charge of the live action DCU today).

I wasn't there for the RotJ panel. I only attended SDCC one other time, and I don't recall specifically which year it was now. My main remembrance of my other attendance was of meeting JMS at a Babylon 5 panel as well as several of the cast members as I was very much "into" that show at the time.

I still love that show, too, and just recently rewatched it with my son from start to finish...it's still just as good as I remembered even if the effects are a bit dated now. Hopefully the recently announced, JMS-helmed reboot will happen and also be good.

It might have been the year after (2002) as I'm quite sure that I would have attended the RotJ panel had I been there for that year. I do remember being quite upset when I heard that the film was to then be released in an edited, more "kid-friendly" version and then tracking down a bootleg copy of the unedited version on VHS from my local comic book shop owner. I also remember writing to WB to release the original version and of course they eventually did so I guess it worked :) . Such a great movie, too...I still also rewatch it frequently, although I think I can see WB's original concerns now with a bit more perspective since I now have my own son...it would have been a bit too intense for him in his younger days methinks...

Back to the original topic: Both times I attended then, I stayed with my brother who lived in the area at the time, and I remember just walking up to the entrance to get our tickets. Those days are long gone, eh? ;)

Jon

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

someone has to update that Seinfeld and Young Sheldon are off nick@nite lineup, and also nickatnite.com removed these pages. Only down to two shows
Welp, time to watch my first piece of Shrek related media in 14 years.
Greetings and Salutations, Everyone!
We are Locke & Key Studios. We provide Voice-Over and Sound Design production services for Video Games, Animation, Commercials, Audio dramas, etc.

We also produce Demo Reels for Voice Actors. Come check us out! We're currently producing an anime-scripted audio drama called "OMG, I'm Dating A Vampire!
Still supporting our Drawing Board artists!

Check out @Gatordragon 's Art Stuff!

Bounty Fools is going to be wild!
On November 26, 1922 Mr. Charles M Schulz was born. Happy Birthday to the man who brought one of my favorite things to life in the first place and probably inspired many others to bring great things to life as well. Happy 100th!

Featured Posts