"Deadpool" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I'm of the mind that any Marvel character can be used in all-ages animation if they're used well (Punisher, Deadpool, Blade, Jessica Jones, etc) but it would be a lot trickier if they're supposed to be the main protagonist. With Deadpool, I think you can tone down the language and anything sexual but if you tone the violence and the regeneration down too much, you would end up with something that's not completely Deadpool.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Sure it can. DP's appeared in the USM cartoon is proof that DP could be done as an all ages cartoon without watering the character down in regards to his personality. Heck, they could even have him using his sword on the bad guys but in a tasteful non graphic/non blood and gore manner (which is something that has been done in past TV-Y7 cartoons).

Sure they can. But they won't ;) .

Freddy

I'm of the mind that any Marvel character can be used in all-ages animation if they're used well (Punisher, Deadpool, Blade, Jessica Jones, etc) but it would be a lot trickier if they're supposed to be the main protagonist. With Deadpool, I think you can tone down the language and anything sexual but if you tone the violence and the regeneration down too much, you would end up with something that's not completely Deadpool.

Sure it can. DP's appeared in the USM cartoon is proof that DP could be done as an all ages cartoon without watering the character down in regards to his personality.

While I completely agree with Rick Jones, I think that it also comes down more than just the violence.

In an all ages cartoon, could Deadpool kidnap a blind woman and lock her up in a room full of sharp objects?
Could he torture information out of bad guys?
Could he try to cheer his daughter up by cutting his own finger off?
Could he take an advantage of a woman, who has an unhealthy obsession of him?

I know that some of my examples are slightly related to him being a violent character, but it all ultimately comes down to him being a mentally unstable person who probably shouldn't be around other people. And we are not talking about being unstable same way like, say, Bugs Bunny or other zany cartoon characters are. Sure, you could always tone him down and just make him slapsticky goofball, who never kills anyone on-screen, if you wanted have him in all ages cartoon, but would that character be Deadpool anymore?

spyke

I would argue that Deadpool absolutely was watered down in his USM appearence. Deadpool is more than just a walking joke-machine, since there is this undeniable disturbing side to him. Sure, for a one-off guest role it is OK to not bring it up, but on his own show it would be kinda lame, if he was just a slightly more violent Spider-Man.

He could still be "violent" in an all ages cartoon. All they have to do is leave out the blood and gore and have certain violent scenes happen off camera. This has been done before numerous times in all ages action/adventure cartoons in the past.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
He could still be "violent" in an all ages cartoon. All they have to do is leave out the blood and gore and have certain violent scenes happen off camera. This has been done before numerous times in all ages action/adventure cartoons in the past.
Freddy is arguing that it isn't just the violence that makes Deadpool Deadpool. It's the mental instability and debauchery. That makes the character completely inappropriate for children. Marvel would do better making kiddie cartoons with kiddie characters.

spyke

Freddy is arguing that it isn't just the violence that makes Deadpool Deadpool. It's the mental instability and debauchery. That makes the character completely inappropriate for children. Marvel would do better making kiddie cartoons with kiddie characters.

Remember, before Marvel (the comics publishing division) started labeling and aiming Deadpool (and Wolverine and Punisher) at a very narrow and shrinking aging readership, DP was a layered all ages character aimed at all ages. DP comics were CCA approved layered all ages comics and he was still portrayed as an unstable psycho. All of that debauchery stuff (along with DP being married and having a kid) was stuff that was added to the character years after Marvel started aiming the character squarely at older teens and adults. Also, whether fans want to admit or not, the fact remains that the MARVEL UNIVERSE characters were originally created for and aimed at ALL AGES, not at adults.

WebMasterSage

Obey the Pecking Order.
It's pretty sad that this show is cancelled. Donald Glover was on fire and yet, it went out like water putting out a fire.

Hopefully it can be resurrected.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Kind of a minor point, but Deadline has an interview with John Landgraf (the CEO of the FX network). He briefly talks about this cancelled show as well.
It came as a shocker when FX in March announced that it is not going forward with its Marvel’s Deadpool animated adult action-comedy series, from Atlanta creator/executive producer/star Donald Glover and writer Stephen Glover, citing “creative differences”
Landgraf made it clear the decision was entirely Marvel’s. “Marvel controls the IP and the decisions around the IP. it was their decision not to go forward with Donald and Stephen’s version, I personally liked it.,” he told Deadline.

Frontier

Staff member
Kind of a minor point, but Deadline has an interview with John Landgraf (the CEO of the FX network). He briefly talks about this cancelled show as well.
So this basically confirms that Marvel was responsible for canning the show, although I'm curious what were their reasoning behind it :(.

Did they not want any kind of X-Men related animation out there? Did they not want an adult-oriented animated production with Marvel characters?

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Interestingly enough, the article on Variety had some more comments from Landgraf.
Is there any chance of reviving “Deadpool” with Donald Glover and Marvel?

No. I think that Marvel will revive it, because they have the rights. They own the IP and they have the rights to do an animated adult series based on any of the X-Men characters, and based on Deadpool specifically. They didn’t want to do the show that Donald and Stephen [Glover] wrote. We would have done show that Donald and Stephen wrote, but it wasn’t our decision. When Marvel decided not to do that show, we parted company with them as did Donald and Stephen. Now it’s totally up to them [Marvel] whether they hire someone else to do a different show.

Mr.O

So, does all of this mean that Marvel had the power to make an X-men animated series all this time?

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
I wouldn't have minded another anime try.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Eh after bishounen Wolverine I can leave anime Marvel though I do wanna see a Marvel french animation cartoon.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
I recall some animes over the years with metas thrown in. Pretty sure there were a couple that would be considered X-Factor for their detective nature.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts