Did MTV ever really need music videos?

TheMisterManGuy

I remember the "failed" B&BH relaunch a few years back and thought those were the finest episodes the show ever produced. But MTV apparently canceled it because it was a little too high-brow for their current audience, which says volumes.
The B&B revival failed in part because MTV's core demographic was drastically different by 2011. B&B appealed especially to 14-22 year old males, and MTV's viewers in 2011 were mostly 12-14 year old girls and twenty something women, resembling more ABC Family than Adult Swim.

I've said this before, even if MTV doesnt want to play music videos, why not just do documentaries or other things related to music? Dont you think a fan of say, Megan Thee Stallion, would be interested in a documentary about her rise to fame?
That was what MTV was in the mid-late 90s and even in 2000. Even if it wasn't really a music video channel anymore, it still remained mostly a channel about music first and foremost. The whole random reality show onslaught really didn't get out of hand until the 2000s.

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
12 year old girls? Really? Watching programs about people having sex etc.? More like 14-24.

TheMisterManGuy

12 year old girls? Really? Watching programs about people having sex etc.? More like 14-24.
Many of MTV's later programs (particularly shows like Teen Wolf and Awkward) were aimed primarily at 12 year old girls and 18-34 year old women with the tastes of a 12 year old girl. 12 year olds generally have more in common with teenagers than children, and that's usually reflected in their media tastes (it's also why 12 is often included in the teenage demo). I mean, What 12 year old doesn't know about sex already?

MTV's target as I said, had always been 12-34 and while not every show on the network would skew towards a 12 year old, many of them were made with 12 year olds in mind, especially in the channel's later years. These days, MTV doesn't really seem to have any target, as teens and twentysomethings are now on YouTube and Netflix, leaving MTV without much of a point.

Last edited:

LinusFan303

Wresslin' with Becky
Funny enough, Viacom launching the N was probably a mistake, they could have did what the N was to MTV and made it a strong teen network, (they did air Degrassi for a short time, I know the Canada version not owned by Viacom did air Degrassi too) they could have sprinkled in music videos like the N did and (Nick Rewind does) and really reinvited MTV. Then used VH1 which was like AC radio station on TV to be for the people aging out of MTV since Viacom really like the age targeting channels. Not sure where MTV2 fits my idea that can't happen now anyway.

Right now, there's no need for MTV/MTV2 Viacom doesn't know what do with them , CMT kind of has a focus of existence, (CMT still airs music videos . has some music programs including consistent weekend show). They aren't able to really gather a teen audience anyway, who are focused on other things, even the reality shows might just be getting the people who grew up with MTV in mid 2000's to maybe still watch if they don't feel second embarrassment. VH1 essentially is living off a show they got from Logo and some random reality shows. If you really want music videos TV, there's MTV Classic (which I watch some times) , Nick Music, BET Jams , they'll cater to those people at a low cost to Viacom.

If MTV went back to music videos right now, and they would be currents, the nostalgia audience wouldn't watch because it would be "ewww" and the newer audience wouldn't really care. Plus, what format do you put? Are you going to have Rock , Pop, Hip Hop on station? Radio is fragmented by even variations of pop, it would be hard please an audience. I think that's why CMT has still worked, Country fans are loyal and and it's one genre connected versus what MTV/MTV2 would have to do.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Many of MTV's later programs (particularly shows like Teen Wolf and Awkward) were aimed primarily at 12 year old girls and 18-34 year old women with the tastes of a 12 year old girl. 12 year olds generally have more in common with teenagers than children, and that's usually reflected in their media tastes (it's also why 12 is often included in the teenage demo). I mean, What 12 year old doesn't know about sex already?

MTV's target as I said, had always been 12-34 and while not every show on the network would skew towards a 12 year old, many of them were made with 12 year olds in mind, especially in the channel's later years. These days, MTV doesn't really seem to have any target, as teens and twentysomethings are now on YouTube and Netflix, leaving MTV without much of a point.
Maybe it was different in the USA, but none of my female friends watched MTV when they were 12 years old in 2009. I agree with what you are saying but I would change 12 to 14.

TheMisterManGuy

Maybe it was different in the USA, but none of my female friends watched MTV when they were 12 years old in 2009. I agree with what you are saying but I would change 12 to 14.
It's likely that MTV in your country skewed a bit older than the U.S. channel did, could explain why it wasn't popular with your friends.
Funny enough, Viacom launching the N was probably a mistake, they could have did what the N was to MTV and made it a strong teen network, (they did air Degrassi for a short time, I know the Canada version not owned by Viacom did air Degrassi too) they could have sprinkled in music videos like the N did and (Nick Rewind does) and really reinvited MTV. Then used VH1 which was like AC radio station on TV to be for the people aging out of MTV since Viacom really like the age targeting channels. Not sure where MTV2 fits my idea that can't happen now anyway.
The thing with the The N was that it was specifically designed as a teens channel, being the only network that exclusively targeted 12-17 year olds. MTV however, was a Youth channel, which includes not only teenagers, but also the 18-34 demo sought after by most advertisers. The N was built for a much more specific, and focused purpose than MTV, who targeted a more mainstream audience. MTV did try picking up where The N left off in the early 2010s with shows like Teen Wolf and Awkward, especially once TeenNick became more of a dumping ground for Nick shows. But after that strategy didn't produce the results they wanted, they began re-focusing the channel back towards reality shows, especially since the younger viewers were migrating to streaming.

Last edited:

LinusFan303

Wresslin' with Becky
It's likely that MTV in your country skewed a bit older than the U.S. channel did, could explain why it wasn't popular with your friends.

The thing with the The N was that it was specifically designed as a teens channel, being the only network that exclusively targeted 12-17 year olds. MTV however, was a Youth channel, which includes not only teenagers, but also the 18-34 demo sought after by most advertisers. The N was built for a much more specific, and focused purpose than MTV, who targeted a more mainstream audience. MTV did try picking up where The N left off in the early 2010s with shows like Teen Wolf and Awkward, especially once TeenNick became more of a dumping ground for Nick shows. But after that strategy didn't produce the results they wanted, they began re-focusing the channel back towards reality shows, especially since the younger viewers were migrating to streaming.
Viacom did want that age flow thing to happen, but yeah that was more my random thinking there. The reality shows are also cheaper than making dramas and etc... for MTV, they wanted to focus on Paramount Network, Nick and BET while the other cable networks went to reruns and reality shows. "Younger" was supposed to move from TVLand to Paramount but they changed their minds. Kind of sad the MTV trying that didn't work out...

AdrenalineRush1996

It also didn't help that The N as a standalone channel only lasted over a year before being rebranded as TeenNick as part of Nickelodeon's mass rebranding.

I kinda wish there was a US version of MTV Music in a way to aim it as those who preferred the channel as it once was.

For CMT, it's also because of their sister channel CMT Music.

FTPC

in the 80 and 90's MTV was king with all of it shows in the 90's Like Beavis and butt-head, and Daria, and unplugged, and 12o mins and headbanger's ball and CDM and Liquid tv Since the real world came along it Killed MTV news and all the other cool and video jockeys,

and Now MTV is more invested in teen mom's and other crap, could they have just put the real world and road rules on the E network back in the 90's However when MTV bought back Beavis and butt-head and they were the voice of the whole Gen X adults when they made comments about 16- and pregnant and teen mom

and does MTV still need the MTV awards tonight and Monday night?

TMC1982

It isn't so much that MTV is now a "bad channel" because they don't air music videos anymore. It's if you ask me, they don't have any real "must see" type of shows anymore. MTV (at least when I was growing up), wasn't just a TV channel that aired music videos, so much that it was the "edgy youth oriented" channel. Whatever was trendy or hip or cutting-edge, you turned to MTV.

But there programming also didn't feel vapid or sleazy to the point in which your intelligence is being insulted. Take for instance, Beavis & Butt-head. Even though the show was about stupid young people, there was a satirical message to it. It wasn't just a show about "youths misbehaving" without an underling message to it.

I must reiterate that MTV's problem now is that they seem to treat and view their audience as idiots. And they've become so complacent on cheap, exploitive, and trashy reality programming like Ridiculousness and Jersey Shore, that there's little room or desire to want to invest in truly groundbreaking or idiosyncratic programming (like for instance, Liquid Television) anymore.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm not sure what Nick waiting for: every weekend Nick is airing keep it here Nick ads for Warped! But still no word for whether it's cancelled or renewed.
Recently actor James Hong was interviewed on Jimmy Kimmel. He's 93 but still going strong. Really cool!
so I switch on disney xd and to my surprise, chip & dale rescue rangers is on

For someone who's been around less than a year, Barbie Brooklyn Roberts has gotten plenty of (well deserved) attention.
According to zap2it, nick@nite will air Seinfeld starting early Tues May 31 2am-4am, that means Mom will be off the lineup after May 26.

Featured Posts