Did The 1990s Decade Never End In Terms of Fashion, Hairstyles and Technology In The DCAU Shows?

Raider969

I know this is a weird question to ask, especially since this can be asked about any movie or TV show that take place in the future. But I decided to ask this about the DCAU shows since these are some of my favorite shows. The question here is did the 1990s Decade never end in terms of fashion, hairstyles and technology in the DCAU shows? There are a few reasons I ask this question.

1. The DCAU Shows aired from 1992-2006.

2. In Batman: The Animated Series, which aired from 1992-1995, the show takes place in the 1990s, but with an Art Deco Dark Deco look to it, which means while most of the fashions and hairstyles look like the 1940s, the technology was more advanced than that, most likely 1990s of course. This makes sense because this show came out and take place in the 1990s.

3. Then in Superman: The Animated Series, which aired from 1996-2000, and The New Batman Adventures, which aired from 1997-1999, both shows take place after Batman: The Animated Series, still taking place in the 1990s, but now with a more 1990s look in terms of fashion, hairstyles and technology. This also makes sense because these shows also came out and take place in the 1990s.

4. Now we head into Batman Beyond, which aired from 1999-2001. This point is mostly the reason I ask the question. This is one of two DCAU shows that take place in the future. In the beginning of Batman Beyond, which takes place during Bruce Wayne's final time as Batman in 2019, the fashion, hairstyles and technology are exactly the same as the 1990s. Fast forward to the rest of the series from 2039-the 2040s, and the fashion, hairstyles and technology is that of the futuristic 1990s. This makes sense because Batman Beyond started in 1999 and that show is how people from the 1990s saw the future, especially because no one during that time knew what the future was really going to look like.

5. The rest of the present day DCAU shows, Static Shock, which aired from 2000-2004, Justice League and Justice League Unlimited, which aired from 2001-2006, take place in the 2000s decade. These shows mentioned some 2000s stuff, but from what I saw, the fashion, hairstyles and technology still looked like the 1990s to me, but that could have only been because the 2000s decade was obviously right after the 1990s decade.

6. Then there is The Zeta Project, the other DCAU show that takes place in the future, which aired from 2001-2002. Some of the fashions, hairstyles and technology still look futuristic 1990s to me, but again, it could only be because the 2000s were right after the 1990s.

7. And last there is the Epilouge episode of Justice League Unlimited, which aired in 2005. The fashion, hairstyles and technology still looked like futuristic 1990s to me, especially with that cellphone Terry has.

So my question again is, did the 1990s Decade never end in terms of fashion, hairstyles and technology in the DCAU shows, or were there more 2000s fashion, hairstyles and technology in Static Shock, The Zeta Project, Justice League and Justice League Unlimited?

PicardMan

Staff member
That's because the early 2000s weren't that different from the 90s pop culture and technology wise. We still had VCRs, dial up Internet, and the like at the turn of the century. I was there and I remember the change from 1999 to 2000 being unremarkable. Most kids can't tell the difference between a 90s and early 00s Friends episode.

Alph

I feel like fashion changes a lot more slowly ever since the internet age. At least, I'm never able to tell the difference between the clothing styles in any shows set in or after the 90s. They all just look like "normal clothes" to me, whereas anything from before that looks retro.

Ed Nygma

Possibly, very possible. The cell phones are really what killed them, but I think only because in contrast the flying cars etc were too advanced for even 2039. So on one hand you have 'Jetsons' tech and those odd square collared shirts that were never going to correspond to reality, but then there are those big brick cell phones. I was more thrown by how the sky was purple now and no longer red from TNBA!

I think the thing that stands out more, in hindsight, were the hairstyles. Nightwing's mullet in particular, but the real reason was that those designs were used in licensing well after the shows and the 90s had ended. Bruce's BTAS design has actually stood the test of time, but the big square/slicked back hair in TNBA always seemed to me to be clearly based on Pierce Brosnan's Bond and Thomas Crown hair, which was really of the time. Terry's hair, even for 2039, was based kind of obviously on Leo DiCaprio's 90s teen hairstyle that's now passe.

I imagine it's hard to come up with eternal hairdos; Bart Simpsons' spiky hair was 'cool' for years and years, it lasted from an 80s Sting kind of thing all the way to when kids spiked their hair in the early 2000s again and seemed perfect, but the show stayed on so long that now it's an anachronism. Even the undercut is going out of style in favor of the broccoli hair returning.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Wrote a little review for Kids Next Door: Operation Zero today. Quite a nice watch that expanded the universe in fun and interesting ways, as per usual.
Looks like there is some good news!

Asa
I speculate this third pandemic winter could end up being it's very last one, ever (we don't need to have too many).
Went to TGI Friday's for my birthday yesterday. Had a great time there despite the chilly weather in Leicester Square.

Featured Posts