Do You Remember Cartoon Network's New Thursdays Block from 2014-2016?

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
If not, maybe this video will refresh your memory.

We all know and remember Har Har Tharsdays from back in the day, right? Well, in June of 2014, Cartoon Network decided to bring back to Thursdays nights again with a then-new block called New Thursdays (formerly known as Fresh New Thursday).

The New Thursdays block is basically Har Har Tharsdays, but in a different form. The block airs new episodes of Teen Titans Go, The Amazing World Gumball (Season 3), Adventure Time, Regular Show, Steven Universe, Clarence, and Uncle Grandpa. Sometimes they add other shows in the mix such as Lego Ninjago, Mixels, Total Drama Pahkitew Island, and so much more.

Things has going very well, until around 2015 when the block was going through a hiatus for the summer. Thankfully, New Thursdays came back in August of that year and premiered We Bare Bears on the block. However, Teen Titans Go has become a lot more popular. So in October 2015, Cartoon Network decided to capitalize on it's success by refresh New Thursdays block to become a Teen Titans theme Thursday block called 'New Titans Thursdays'.

Then, in January of 2016, New Thursdays came back for the second time. Unfortunately, that didn't last very long. After February of 2016, Cartoon Network quietly discontinued New Thursdays block and it was being replaced by Yoursdays in April 2016.

Yoursdays does continue New Thursdays left off, but with new graphics, new episodes, and a brand new premiere show, The Powerpuff Girls reboot.
Cartoon Network - Yoursday Promo (60s) - May 19, 2016

Then afterwards, Yoursdays was changed into Swordsday in late September of 2016 in honor of the premiere of Mighty Msgiswords. Heck, the main characters of that show were hosts of the block, too.

Unfortunately, on December of 2016, Swordsday block was officially discontinued and Cartoon Network was and is no longer doing Thursday nights premieres anymore.

For me, I never even heard of New Thursdays until a few years ago when I got back to Cartoon Network. I thought it was a great and interesting block. Sure, there are some moments that I'm not too crazy about (I'm looking at you, CN Sayin), but it was a decent block for what is. Such a shame that it ended too soon.

What do you guys think of this? Why do you think CN New Thursdays got canceled? Do you have any fond memories of the block? Let me know in the comments.

Markus Nelis

I think they wanted to finally go on a different date which started to be Friday nights and Monday nights and currently Saturday mornings. After all, CN premiered new episodes for quite some time on Thursdays. Until 2016 so it was time for a change. Thursday had an impressive time though, lasting 2 years.

I watched NT sometimes but I didn't watch it every week.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
I think they wanted to finally go on a different date which started to be Friday nights and Monday nights and currently Saturday mornings. After all, CN premiered new episodes for quite some time on Thursdays. Until 2016 so it was time for a change. Thursday had an impressive time though, lasting 2 years.

I see.

UnimaginativeName

I think there's a hint of irony that one of the original ways they had marketed Cartoon Network was that you could watch Saturday morning cartoons 24/7 and not just on Saturday, yet now they (almost) exclusively air their new shows on...Saturday morning.

Doesn't really mean anything, just found it kind of funny.

Silverstar

Jet Flyin', Limousine Ridin'
This must've happened during a period when I was in and out of watching Cartoon Network, because I've never heard of this block until @JMTV Studios started this thread.

-Yeeeah, knowing what we now know about Skylar Page, that clip of Clarence hugging those girls hasn't aged well.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
-Yeeeah, knowing what we now know about Skylar Page, that clip of Clarence hugging those girls hasn't aged well.
Oh yeah. That was disturbing.

But, let's not get into that. What do you think of this block?

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
This was around the time I was getting back into Cartoon Network, and also when I started my first year of university. Before I got my part-time job, I made sure to watch every time when Steven Universe and Clarence were new, sometimes also Uncle Grandpa and/or Teen Titans Go! I also remember making a friend around this time who would come over and watch Steven Universe with me, and sometimes also Clarence.

I remember when Thursdays were the night for new shows near the end of the 2000's, primarily for Chowder, Flapjack, and Total Drama. But I believe this switched to Mondays when Adventure Time and Regular Show caught on. Personally, I'll always associate Friday nights for new CN series, but Thursday has historically been one of the biggest nights for TV, so I understand the appeal.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
This was around the time I was getting back into Cartoon Network, and also when I started my first year of university. Before I got my part-time job, I made sure to watch every time when Steven Universe and Clarence were new, sometimes also Uncle Grandpa and/or Teen Titans Go! I also remember making a friend around this time who would come over and watch Steven Universe with me, and sometimes also Clarence.

I remember when Thursdays were the night for new shows near the end of the 2000's, primarily for Chowder, Flapjack, and Total Drama. But I believe this switched to Mondays when Adventure Time and Regular Show caught on. Personally, I'll always associate Friday nights for new CN series, but Thursday has historically been one of the biggest nights for TV, so I understand the appeal.
Nice.

Bigawesome2000

This started when I was getting into CN, so I really enjoyed this block. I remember watching the new episodes of Gumball, Uncle Grandpa, Clarence, Steven Universe, and more every Thursday in like 2014/15.

cartoo5007

The New Thursdays block is basically Har Har Tharsdays, but in a different form. The block airs new episodes of Teen Titans Go, The Amazing World Gumball (Season 3), Adventure Time, Regular Show, Steven Universe, Clarence, and Uncle Grandpa. Sometimes they add other shows in the mix such as Lego Ninjago, Mixels, Total Drama Pahkitew Island, and so much more

Are they reusing Powerhouse music in that promo from 2014?

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
They are recycling the music, listen. Here's a 2001 Dexter promo:

Here's a New Thurdays promo from 2014:

Same music.
Well yeah it's similar, but more remixing it in a way since Michael Kohler/Bluetube did the music for both CCF and New Thursdays, so I guess it makes sense.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts