Does anyone agree with this ((IMHO) Another YT search, Another modern day cartoon rant.....)?

The Overlord

I do like modern cartoons like glitch teches mao mao victer and valentino Hilda owl house amphibia and others
theres cartoons I hate like kipo teen titans go
for every generation theres always going to be cartoons people like and people hate
this was true even in the 80's and 90's
but there doesn't have to be a fanbase divide for animation fans
you can like both old and new stuff at the same time and shouldn't be a big deal
if you like a newer or older version of a show

The problem is you have Comics Gate culture critics like Clown Fish TV or YoungRippa59 who use terms like too woke or too political to create cynical click bait videoes to rile up their audience, they are bad actors and that is why I don't respect those terms.

They all dogpiled on 2018 She-Ra and now they are saying that the Kevin Smith He-Man cartoon will be bad because they think Teela and Evil-Lyn look too buff. They never post any positive videoes and those are the guys who use terms like "too woke" and "too political". They just say everything modern is garbage to create an endless sea of negative content and come up with an excuse to declare something too woke.

Who defines what is too woke and too political and why are those things bad in their opinion?

Also I think a lot of 80s cartoons do not hold up because they are giant toy commercials, a lot of cartoons from the 90s do hold up, IMO.

Was Exo Squad, X-Men TAS, Static Shock, etc too woke or too political?

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
it hasn't change from what I said it was in all these years
look at yourself are YOU really one of THOSE PEOPLE ready to call me some of the worst things imaginable over some petty stuff like liking an 80's girl cartoon
who building strawmen here
I'm going to leave things here because this is not productive or fun for me. I will say this to anyone else reading this about your claims of people saying the worst things imaginable to you. Ask yourselves this: Did I do that? Even Once? Y'all were there for the entire conversation, and I didn't edit any of my posts. If you think I did NOT do that, maybe you might want to next question the validity of this person saying everyone does this to him, and what him saying that actually means about the strength of his arguments. Just a thought.

I'm done. This is tiresome.

kid rabbit

The problem is you have Comics Gate culture critics like Clown Fish TV or YoungRippa59 who use terms like too woke or too political to create cynical click bait videoes to rile up their audience, they are bad actors and that is why I don't respect those terms.

They all dogpiled on 2018 She-Ra and now they are saying that the Kevin Smith He-Man cartoon will be bad because they think Teela and Evil-Lyn look too buff. They never post any positive videoes and those are the guys who use terms like "too woke" and "too political". They just say everything modern is garbage to create an endless sea of negative content and come up with an excuse to declare something too woke.

Who defines what is too woke and too political and why are those things bad in their opinion?

Also I think a lot of 80s cartoons do not hold up because they are giant toy commercials, a lot of cartoons from the 90s do hold up, IMO.

Was Exo Squad, X-Men TAS, Static Shock, etc too woke or too political?
you know one of the things I love about static shock was that it didn't go fat albert and captain planet and make every episode wasn't a "message episode" alot of episodes was just
him vs a super villain of the week or super hero team up episode

The Overlord

you know one of the things I love about static shock was that it didn't go fat albert and captain planet and make every episode wasn't a "message episode" alot of episodes was just
him vs a super villain of the week or super hero team up episode

Sure, but they did go to some places with Static Shock, one episode dealt with Richie's racist dad, one episode had a homeless person as the main character and dealt with her situation and another episode had a kid bring a gun to school, it was not apolitical all the time.

What about X-Men TAS, which dealt with politics all the time considering it dealt with bigotry and civil rights, and Exo Squad an alien modeled 20th-century fascist leaders like Hitler as the main villain, those are political works.

Is She-Ra more political than those works?

Captain Planet suffers from bad execution, its heart is in the right place, but the execution falls flat. Fat Albert is a 70s era cartoon, it was likely one of the best from that decade, the pickings were slim.

Often when someone complains about someone being too woke or too political, it can seem like they are advocating against social commentary in animation and that can leave the impression of wanting just really mindless empty entertainment. I think being about something is better than being about nothing.

Low Spark of Lyman

Y’know, I think the poor guy's screwy.
I had a phase of "today's cartoons are in the dark ages" back in the early-mid 2000s. While I didn't have YouTube to express my views, nor did I use much of other websites around back then, I did basically rely on "whatever I like" versus a good deal of what I saw that rubbed me the wrong way back then. Among what bothered me in 2004-05 was anime and CGI, especially the rise of both, as I worried about them replacing the old way of American cartoons.

I eventually cooled off on that negative stuff. While I may still be more into many older animation (whether or not I grew up on it), I'm not interested in these kinds of videos. I'd find it more substantive to have constructive criticism of modern animation instead of the all-too-easy "cartoons back then were so much better" response. Not that I'm optimistic of that happening more often, though.

to be fair most modern cartoons has that teen titans go thing where they bash critics and spend 90% of their time trying to convince you that
"their the greatest thing you'll ever see in your life ever" feed my ego
yeah they'll give you 3 or 2 good episodes then give 60 preterist episodes for the rest
I'm no TTG fan, but what do/would you make of Garfield and Friends when Garfield has introductory lines like "Smart kids watch this show; other kids change the channel" or "Sell your remote control. I'm the best thing on"? Sure, it's a different approach as far as I can tell, and I think it makes sense in Garfield's case due to his egotism. So is the problem with a show claiming "I'm the best" per se, or doing so in a certain manner?

Also, what do you mean by "preterist"? Isn't that a biblical term?

powerjake

Banned
I do like modern cartoons like glitch teches mao mao victer and valentino Hilda owl house amphibia and others
for every generation theres always going to be cartoons people like and people hate
you can like both old and new stuff at the same time and shouldn't be a big deal
if you like a newer or older version of a show

It's always good to have an open mind for brand new original modern cartoons that are not nostalgic reboots of any classic series from 1980's or 1990's. Liking both old and new cartoons does make it a good balance for anyone that enjoys animation. I like moving forward and not living in the past.

The Overlord

if you like a newer or older version of a show.

Let's focus on something positive, do you like the new adult animation we are seeing from streaming with stuff like Bojack Horseman, Castlevania, Invincible, Love, Death and Robots, etc?

You have to admit, modern streaming animation has given us a lot of new interesting adult animation.

kid rabbit

Sure, but they did go to some places with Static Shock, one episode dealt with Richie's racist dad, one episode had a homeless person as the main character and dealt with her situation and another episode had a kid bring a gun to school, it was not apolitical all the time.

What about X-Men TAS, which dealt with politics all the time considering it dealt with bigotry and civil rights, and Exo Squad an alien modeled 20th-century fascist leaders like Hitler as the main villain, those are political works.

Is She-Ra more political than those works?

Captain Planet suffers from bad execution, its heart is in the right place, but the execution falls flat. Fat Albert is a 70s era cartoon, it was likely one of the best from that decade, the pickings were slim.

Often when someone complains about someone being too woke or too political, it can seem like they are advocating against social commentary in animation and that can leave the impression of wanting just really mindless empty entertainment. I think being about something is better than being about nothing.

yeah static shock had whole episodes devoted to racism and school shootings but you seem to forget they were followed by whole episodes of him teaming up with Shaq and a backstreet boy

as for x-men everyone forgets a lot of the time they would do melodrama and character focus episodes in the first season they had a whole episode where wolverine stayed with an escomo tripe or where they fought the juggernaut or apocalypses and his four horsemen heck their most famous story the dark pheonix had them mostly fight aliens and their friend even then they were fighting the hellfire club a group of rich guys who were evil mutants the only social comment scene wasn't even in the animated version
where jean reunites with her family and reads her sister's mind
x-men evolution went 2 whole seasons repeat 2 whole seasons without the race allegory

alot of people forget these shows knew how take time to breath and do episodes based on the characters and used the social thing sparingly and usually for world building a lot focus on a characters dark past or love triangle or just plain melodrama I never really watch exo-squad but their first storyline had them fighting space pirates SPACE PIRATES complete with eyepatch and parrots

even the new she-ra and Steven universe took time to do episodes on prom and boys night out or a body swap episode and watermelon babies not everything has to be a social commentary

I'm not against social commentary in cartoons but it's also good to know when to take time and do some characters development and world building or just have fun and heart in these shows

even star trek and the twilight zone did episodes that were just over the top and simple action or scary story

the thing most people misunderstand is that no one is against social commentary its that social commentary changes every generation can tell where these new cartoons did a episode on drug abuse and the environment or gang violence and suicide where my Steven universe PSA for that THOSE problems still exist in fact their even worst now than they were 10 years ago

since I want to end this on a positive note sometime you just need a simple enjoyable time to clear your and after a year of covid quarantine race riot's killer police paranoid germaphobes and whatever racist thing of the week can you we really judge people for wanting escapism

kid rabbit

I had a phase of "today's cartoons are in the dark ages" back in the early-mid 2000s. While I didn't have YouTube to express my views, nor did I use much of other websites around back then, I did basically rely on "whatever I like" versus a good deal of what I saw that rubbed me the wrong way back then. Among what bothered me in 2004-05 was anime and CGI, especially the rise of both, as I worried about them replacing the old way of American cartoons.

I eventually cooled off on that negative stuff. While I may still be more into many older animation (whether or not I grew up on it), I'm not interested in these kinds of videos. I'd find it more substantive to have constructive criticism of modern animation instead of the all-too-easy "cartoons back then were so much better" response. Not that I'm optimistic of that happening more often, though.

I'm no TTG fan, but what do/would you make of Garfield and Friends when Garfield has introductory lines like "Smart kids watch this show; other kids change the channel" or "Sell your remote control. I'm the best thing on"? Sure, it's a different approach as far as I can tell, and I think it makes sense in Garfield's case due to his egotism. So is the problem with a show claiming "I'm the best" per se, or doing so in a certain manner?

Also, what do you mean by "preterist"? Isn't that a biblical term?
sorry I meant pretentious as in arrogant whish I kind of feel about later seasons of Garfield and friends and animaniacs one of my least favorite animaniacs is where they diss underdog for not being as cool as them they won an emmy

kid rabbit

Let's focus on something positive, do you like the new adult animation we are seeing from streaming with stuff like Bojack Horseman, Castlevania, Invincible, Love, Death and Robots, etc?

You have to admit, modern streaming animation has given us a lot of new interesting adult animation.
since you ask castlevanias hit or miss for me invincible I love love'death and robots is cool
I also have a soft spot for hoops modok and f is for family

The Overlord

yeah static shock had whole episodes devoted to racism and school shootings but you seem to forget they were followed by whole episodes of him teaming up with Shaq and a backstreet boy

as for x-men everyone forgets a lot of the time they would do melodrama and character focus episodes in the first season they had a whole episode where wolverine stayed with an escomo tripe or where they fought the juggernaut or apocalypses and his four horsemen heck their most famous story the dark pheonix had them mostly fight aliens and their friend even then they were fighting the hellfire club a group of rich guys who were evil mutants the only social comment scene wasn't even in the animated version
where jean reunites with her family and reads her sister's mind
x-men evolution went 2 whole seasons repeat 2 whole seasons without the race allegory

alot of people forget these shows knew how take time to breath and do episodes based on the characters and used the social thing sparingly and usually for world building a lot focus on a characters dark past or love triangle or just plain melodrama I never really watch exo-squad but their first storyline had them fighting space pirates SPACE PIRATES complete with eyepatch and parrots

even the new she-ra and Steven universe took time to do episodes on prom and boys night out or a body swap episode and watermelon babies not everything has to be a social commentary

I'm not against social commentary in cartoons but it's also good to know when to take time and do some characters development and world building or just have fun and heart in these shows

even star trek and the twilight zone did episodes that were just over the top and simple action or scary story

the thing most people misunderstand is that no one is against social commentary its that social commentary changes every generation can tell where these new cartoons did a episode on drug abuse and the environment or gang violence and suicide where my Steven universe PSA for that THOSE problems still exist in fact their even worst now than they were 10 years ago

since I want to end this on a positive note sometime you just need a simple enjoyable time to clear your and after a year of covid quarantine race riot's killer police paranoid germaphobes and whatever racist thing of the week can you we really judge people for wanting escapism

But if you are going to acknowledge that She-Ra or Steven Universe has a similar balance of social commentary and other story telling compared to X-Men TAS or Static Shock then I don't see what the issue is supposed to be.

No one is saying go back to Captain Planet ham fisted story telling where it's just social commentary and the plots and characters are an after thought. But when something is being criticized for being too woke or too political it does give the impression that social commentary in animation is what is being criticized and it doesn't help that Comics Gate culture critics use those terms to create endless click bait videoes.

kid rabbit

I never said I hated those shows I'm just saying I like new and old cartoons
do I like one over the other no
you like new and old stuff at the same time like music movies tv or cartoons
I really didn't think I'd have to go this far to prove
liking the old she-ra cartoon doesn't make me a neo -n@zi
thats kind of why the white knighting of the new she ra bugged me for everyone who didn't like one thing about it was accuse of being a racist and I'm like seriously seriously your going to judge an entire persons character because they found swiftwind annoying
do you think people who like the Adam West batman over the Tim Burten batman are book burners

The Overlord

I never said I hated those shows I'm just saying I like new and old cartoons
do I like one over the other no
you like new and old stuff at the same time like music movies tv or cartoons
I really didn't think I'd have to go this far to prove
liking the old she-ra cartoon doesn't make me a neo -n@zi
thats kind of why the white knighting of the new she ra bugged me for everyone who didn't like one thing about it was accuse of being a racist and I'm like seriously seriously your going to judge an entire persons character because they found swiftwind annoying
do you think people who like the Adam West batman over the Tim Burten batman are book burners

Except was all the criticism of the new She-Ra done in good faith or were there Comics Gate culture critics who complained about every little thing to generate click-baiting videos? Is it ''Knightwhiting'' to be critical of these bad faith Comics Gate culture critics like Clown Fish TV or YoungRippa59 who seem to come up with excuses to declare everything that is modern to be ''too woke'', especially making that term meaningless?

I am not accusing you of being a bad-faith actor, but to say all the criticism of modern animation that we see from Comics Gate figures like Clown Fish TV or YoungRippa59 is done in good faith is somewhat naive, people who are negative about everything and generate nothing but clickbait videos don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. The fact that those creators use terms like ''too woke'' in their videos, is why you see push back against that term.

If someone doesn't like the new She-Ra show, that's fine, criticize it on a plot or character level, but complaints about She-Ra not being beautiful enough or ''forced diversity'' or being ''too woke'', are not actually good faith criticisms, because they seem like very shallow style over substance complaints.

Comics Gate has an agenda and thus it seems fine to me to criticize the likes of Clown Fish TV or YoungRippa59 for serving that agenda.

Last edited:

kid rabbit

I've heard shallower critics on other stuff like the monster high dolls were too pretty that gave self esteem issues
but yeah your allowed to critic these guys and others like them it's your right
just don't be surprise they defend themselves and their options it's their right too

The Overlord

I've heard shallower critics on other stuff like the monster high dolls were too pretty that gave self esteem issues
but yeah your allowed to critic these guys and others like them it's your right
just don't be surprise they defend themselves and their options it's their right too

Fine, that's what I doing, I think those guys are overly negative, I think Comics Gate is a bad thing and makes things worse rather than better, frankly I think these are guys are grifters and I think they are often dishonest, that they will lie to up their view count.

None of that is illegal, they can say what they want, but I think those guys deserve the criticism they get. I think Comics Gates is scummy and think it makes people wallow in negative emotions and makes people into shallow nit picking "culture critics". That's my opinion and I will stick with it.

powerjake

Banned
Walt Disney even said how its good to move forward and not live in the past.

"Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious … and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."

Thats why its always good to give modern original cartoons a chance that are not reboots of any past old series.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Walt Disney even said how its good to move forward and not live in the past.

"Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious … and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."

Thats why its always good to give modern original cartoons a chance that are not reboots of any past old series.
Damn straight and thank you for getting it, unlike most of the internet, that is!

powerjake

Banned
Damn straight and thank you for getting it, unlike most of the internet, that is!

I do not like toxic forums with negative people that love to hate modern cartoons examples like Naruto Forum, Space Battles, and Comic Book Resources. They have the type of people that like to say "Modern cartoons pale in comparison to 1980's/1990's cartoons". It does not help they love youtube videos about hating on modern cartoons.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts