DreamWorks' "The Bad Guys" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate "The Bad Guys"

• Total voters

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
01-bgs-dm-mobile-banner-1080x745-pl-f01-120921-61b8a1a60f17b-1.jpg

Has anyone seen this yet? I didn't see a talkback thread, so I decided to create one.

Overall, I thought it was a solid film. Probably the most buzz-worthy thing about it is the animation style, which is akin to Spiderverse. Lots of exaggerated, springy movements with 2D animated effects sprinkled in. Apparently, the film is based on a children's graphic novel series (which I had never heard of until now), and this art style seems to pay homage to that. Here's an interesting article that talks more about how the crew created the look of the film.

I also loved all of the plot twists thrown into the story. Yes, I could predict many of them, but they were still executed in satisfying ways. My favorite one was the lamp switch at the end of the film.

While not a gut-bustingly hilarious film IMO, there were lots of amusing moments incorporated into the script, both physical and dialogue-based jokes. My favorite scenes were definitely the heists. Every character got to shine in some way, and it was fun to see everything go horribly wrong, especially during the golden dolphin gala.

What did you think? Thumbs up or down?

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
I know I want to see this someday, since I need something to counteract Turning Red for me, personally.
Plus, it looks like it'll be actually fun to kill some time with, unlike Turning Red IMHO, so why the hell not.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
It might get a TV series.

Yeah, I wouldn't rush things, honestly. I don't care how good this movie or how popular some busy body thinks it is to justify this. Nothing is THAT profitable; something these fools have yet to understand, which doesn't help any cases here.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Saw it today. There has to be some crew connection to The Mitchells vs. The Machines here- it shared many of the same visual traits as that movie, especially the "flourishes" and hand drawn-imitating visual effects. If not, wow, they either ripped that movie off or it was one of those 1-in-1,000 coincidences.

Anyway, the movie was fun, especially the first 20 minutes when the crew is doing all their getaways and heists. That was so rapid fire that you didn't want to blink or you'll miss something. It does slow down a bit once they enter the rehab center, but I was fine with that because if the movie had kept up the breakneck pace of the start it would've been exhausting.

Plot-wise, I could predict where things were going to go: The lead would go over to the good side. However at least the reason for wanting to do so was somewhat unique: It physically makes him feel good.

Stand-out character for me was Ms. Tarantula, the computer hacking whiz. What better animal for that endeavor than one that has more limbs?

Minor nitpick: The concept of seven anthropomorphic animal characters living amongst an otherwise entirely human population was kinda weird, to be honest. And listen, I'm a guy who accepted Bojack Horseman and Duckman. But it's odd that you'd have a fox as governor of a bunch of humans like it's normal. And this is another movie where they also have animals that behave like actual animals amidst the upright walking, talking animals, as we saw with the adorable kitten here. I think they should've taken the Zootopia approach- just have a city inhabited entirely by animals. The concept still would've worked, as a wolf is still a feared predator to many animals anyway.

And oy, this is another movie where the supposed good guy is really a bad guy. That trope is getting tired. And this isn't even a Disney movie!

TsWade2

My best friend and I got to see The Bad Guys and it was hilarious and a great movie. I thought Dreamworks Animation is going to be shut down because of previous mediocre movies, but this is their comeback. I hope they make a sequel and maybe a tv series( Even though it sadly will probably be in a streaming service.).

Pooky

Staff member
This was maybe a little better than I expected from the trailers and showed a little promise early on, but it ultimately felt pretty generic. I was something of a Dreamworks apologist in the late 00s/early 10s, I even thought the first Boss Baby was kind of underrated when that came out, but I guess I've changed or just gotten tired of their schtick or something, because their most recent films have either not been appealing enough for me to watch, or have just been kind of bland and forgettable like this. I've actually read a couple of stories from the book series, and while I didn't love those (shocking for a series aimed at people 1/4th my age!) they had a more appealing, joyfully silly sense of humour than on display here. I only got some small laughs here and there, mostly at incidental things like some of the body language of the guinea pigs.

Captain Underpants did a nice job of recreating the look of the books for CG animation, but here the character designs aren't nearly as appealing as those in the book and the cell-shading IMO mostly just looks cheap and (as we Brits say) naff.

Mr Snake was an intriguing novel character for an animated film, but Mr. Piranah was an awful cliché. Surprising number of fart jokes for a well reviewed kids film too.

This might be controversial but I wonder if Illumination or Sony might have done a better job with the material, as hit and miss as both studios are they aren't afraid to just go for pure comedy at times, and aren't as wedded to sentimental and structural clichés are Dreamworks seem to be of late.

Still, it was at least an improvement over Boss Baby 2 which I had to turn off after 20 minutes or so. Maybe the new Puss In Boots will be good.

Beast of Beef

I watched this on a plane ( I was In Vegas for the week, I guess I forgot to tell) and it was pretty good. Wasn’t amazing or anything but it was a fun watch. The animation was amazing, definitely the best part of the movie.

Oh and one thing I noticed: I read the books when I was younger, and I remember that the hamster’s motivation was revenge cause he hated being seen as cute or cuddly. Maybe I just missed it, but I don’t think that was in the movie. But I guess it wouldn’t make sense considering how he was a philanthropist, but I think it might have given him a little more personality.

Last edited by a moderator:

khuddle

Far, far too long. That about sums it. Unless Spielberg is directing it, you're not going to have a successful film that runs 100 minutes. Bad Guys had a few moments here and there, but it also drags in a lot of places. One and done, rent it don't buy it, ultimately not my cup of tea.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
A holiday special based on the movie will premiere on Netflix in 2023.
Directed by Emmy winner Bret Haaland (The Penguins of Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness), who is executive producing with Katherina Nolfi (Abominable and the Invisible City), the as-yet untitled special is set before the events of the movie.
Per Netflix: There’s nothing the Bad Guys love more than Christmas morning — because while everyone is home opening presents, it’s the perfect time to execute their city-wide holiday heist. But when Christmas is unexpectedly canceled, the Bad Guys must do the unthinkable: reignite the city’s holiday spirit by giving instead of taking.

TsWade2

Oh what a fun surprise! Looking forward to seeing it next year.
That's wonderful! But sadly I won't be able to see it, because it's on Netflix. But, it's great to hear that the The Bad Guys will have a Christmas special.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts