Favorite and least favorite Tom and Jerry cartoons from each era?

emotionalgirl162

for me:
Hanna-Barbara era-favorites: Pecos pest, The cat concerto and Jerrys cousin
Least favorites: Heavenly puss(its has many unacceptable things)

gene deitch era: favorite: buddies thicker than water, least favorite: dicky moe,switchin kitten and sorry safari

chuck jones era: favories: jerry jerry quite contrary, cat and dupli cat andcat above and mouse below

least favorite: haunted mouse, of feline bondage, and matinee mouse

what about you?

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Favorites of the HB era:

-Texas Tom: If you're ever down in Texas, look me up!

-Million Dollar Cat: Fire, fire! Dingdingdingdingding!

-The Zoot Cat: I am hip to the jive.

-The Truce Hurts: Nice variation on the formula.

-Tee For Two: Golf + slapstick = gold

-Quiet Please!: A classic scenario.

-The Cat Concerto: An obvious choice but one of the greats. Love the ending.

-Mouse Cleaning: Controversy aside, this really is one of the better T&J shorts for its frantic comedy.

-The Bowling Alley Cat: I've stated before, but cartoons taking place in bowling alleys are almost always successful by default, and this is no exception.

-Pet Peeve: One of the better later shorts; again, a good scenario (Tom vs. Spike competing for their owner's love).

Deitch era:

-The Tom & Jerry Cartoon Kit: A nice change of pace, and has some jokes aimed at adults.

-Tall in the Trap: Helped by being co-written by Tedd Pierce, a former WB writer.

-Carmen Get it!: For its soundtrack and associated gags.

Chuck Jones era:

-Is There a Doctor in the Mouse?: Jerry is The Flash!

-Snowbody Loves Me: Again, for its classical soundtrack.

-Cannery Rodent: Craziness on the docks/assembly line. Notable for being Chuck Jones's final T&J short.

-Shutter Bugged Cat: Okay, so it's a cheater, but it has a unique premise (Tom watching his old films to fix his mistakes) and has an appropriately bizarre soundtrack to complement the "rewind/fast forward" motif.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
The last few Chuck Jones-produced T&Js were directed by either Tom Ray, Abe Levitow or Ben Washam.

DVDLooney

Least Favorite Tom and Jerry cartoons of each era:

Hanna Barbera:
"Neapolitan Mouse"
"Little Runaway"
"Jerry and Jumbo"
"Jerry and the Lion"
"Jerry and the Goldfish"

Chuck Jones:
His cheater(clip) cartoons like "Shutterbugged Cat"

I even didn't mind some of the Gene Deitch shorts like:
Most of the Deitch Tom and Jerry cartoons don't bother me. "Switchin' Kitten" is a masterpiece of peculiarness, "Dicky Moe" is very interesting too, and "High Steaks"...well, I think the way the mean man abuses Tom is hilarious. I even liked "Calypso Cat".

Favorite Tom and Jerry cartoons of each era:

Hanna Barbera:
"Texas Tom"
"Cruise Cat"
"The Cat Concerto"
"Mouse Cleaning"
"The Truce Hurts"

Chuck Jones:
"Jerry, Jerry, Quite Contrary"
"Bad Day at Cat Rock"

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
As for my least favorites, I was never a big fan of the shorts featuring Quacker, despite some good sight gags and physical comedy in them. They erred a bit too much on the cute side for me.

I also wasn't a fan of the Chuck Jones era T&Js which took place in outer space. They just felt far too removed from the series' tone.

zlens

I liked all the Hanna Barbera original shorts, but specially the ones made after 1945 when Tom gained his trademark look (cheeks, becoming bipedal most of the time) but before they started to do the shorts in cinemascope.
Heavenly Puss is one of my favorites, but I admit it made some family members feel uneasy when I watched it as a child.
¨Dr. Jekyll and Mr Mouse¨ and ¨The Invisible Mouse¨ are also in my top list.
Quacker was kinda annoying, but the short where the duckling thought Tom was his mom is one of the most heartwarming ones and a great moment of character development for Tom

The Gene Deitch are very hit and miss with me, I found the sound effects so terrible and unnerving that it keeps me for enjoying most of them, even since I was a kid, but there's some where the plot and gags are strong enough to look past the sound problems, like ¨Switchin Kitten¨ the western one, the Carmen one, the cosmonauts one, the Rome one and the one with the Cartoon Kit.

The Chuck Jones ones are all very good to me, even if most seem to just wander around in a one note premise.

emotionalgirl162

I liked all the Hanna Barbera original shorts, but specially the ones made after 1945 when Tom gained his trademark look (cheeks, becoming bipedal most of the time) but before they started to do the shorts in cinemascope.
Heavenly Puss is ..
The episode heavenly puss has things that are very inappropriate, for example they shouldnt visualize the afterlife like this, they should even visualize it! I understand why I dont see it aired on tv

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
"Heavenly Puss" is well-directed, but it's not really very funny. I much prefer WB's "Satan's Waitin".

zlens

"Heavenly Puss" is well-directed, but it's not really very funny. I much prefer WB's "Satan's Waitin".

Yeah, its more suspenseful than funny, it does have some good gags, like the flattened fat cat, or Tom waving good bye to the audience before falling to the abyss.

The Sylvester's one is funnier, but even as a kid I felt the ending was kinda unfair, but in a way that's what makes the ending funny, it wouldn't be funny if it was fair.

The episode heavenly puss has things that are very inappropriate, for example they shouldnt visualize the afterlife like this, they should even visualize it! I understand why I dont see it aired on tv

I respect you didn't liked that one, like I said, most of my family found it unconfortable too, but at the end it was just Tom's nightmare anyway.

Mod note: Double post merged. Please use the edit button instead of making two or more posts in a row minutes apart from each other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.

Featured Posts