Favorite cartoon block

the greenman

Over the years, I have enjoyed many cartoon blocks from differing eras. My top favorite cartoon block was the Disney Afternoon. It was enjoyable, especially when it finally got all of the Disney Channel series (Ducktales, Rescue Rangers, Talespin, Darkwing Duck) Things got increased once they got Gargoyles and Goof Troop, but after that Mighty Ducks & then stuff like Raw Toonage & House of Mouse was when I started not really check out.

A second fave was USA Cartoon Express. My only issue was (for some reason) I often found myself falling asleep on this. So what were your favorite cartoon blocks.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

BlooCNBoy02

I'm blue. A nostalgic CN fan.
My favorite was Sock TV from the European Cartoon Networks, aired in the summers of 2009 and 2011.

I liked how socks acted before and after continuities. The on-screen logo even contained two socks, with the CN initials being replaced by TV (and in the 2011 version, colored differently).

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Hmmmm... so I grew up with 4 cartoon blocks. Fox Kids / Jetix was more like a channel here.

Disney Festival (1995-2008) - This one aired most Disney cartoons. One or two a day, usually followed by a classic Walt Disney cartoon. Unfortunately no Gargoyles, which aired on another channel before I was born. I watched this block for: classic Walt Disney shorts, 101 Dalmatians, Aladdin, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, Legend of Tarzan, DuckTales, Kim Possible, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, Lilo & Stitch: The Series, Marsupilami, Mickey Mouse Works, The Emperor's New School, Timon & Pumbaa and The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

TamTam (2000-2008) - I mostly watched this for The Batman, Duck Dodgers and The Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries. This block aired a lot of WB cartoons but also some other stuff. I always wanted to see W.I.T.C.H. but only got to see it later on as a teenager.

Webcameraden (2002-2007) - This one aired a mixture of Fox Kids, Jetix, Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon cartoons. The name is the words "webcam" and "comrads" (=communist friends) smashed together: Webcomrads. No worries, despite this pun, this block never had anything to do with communism :D (The word lost its communist meaning here, more or less, at least amongst 2000s children) I mostly liked Totally Spies, Martin Mystery (I could rarely watch it), Team Galaxy, Grim and Evil, What's with Andy and Atomic Betty. I never got to see Medabots on TV. I wasn't interested in most of its Cartoon Network reruns because I could simply watch them on CN. Its most popular programs were Totally Spies and Pokémon. The presenters were older children and teenagers who presented from their bedroom through webcams. There was one presenter that was once talking about his "stupid teacher that gave him a bad grade" :D

MyTV (2007-2009) - Webcameraden's successor. No webcam videos anymore, but you could send short videos and then it would get aired on TV. Most of them were videos during recess on a playground. New cartoons that I liked: Yin Yang Yo and Transformers Animated.

Disney Festival wins!

Last edited:

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
SVES, which was a short-lived block similar to Toonami only with a vintage video game theme. I dug it.

Miguzi, due to its underwater motif and the cute wraparounds.

Nick in the Afternoon: Stick Stickly, nuff said.

Nick at Nite: I'm referring to the era when it still showed '50s-early '70s TV, obviously.

NickToons: Before it became its own network, I mean.

Rhaynebow

You Are Here for me. Probably the last hurrah for pure action cartoons. It felt like Toonami’s baby brother that tried to imitate it and while it definitely….didn’t do it well, it was still nice to hear some of the Toonami music and Peter Cullen cutting promos for the Pokémon movies. CN’s bright, white Nood era didn’t really mesh well with literal dark shows like Ben 10:Alien Force and Batman, so having a singular host in a black and gold environment helped fit the mood.

Also shoutout to Miguzi which felt like Toonami’s tweenage sister. Most of their show’s were comedic-leaning “teen squads saving the world” ones. The hosts were cute too and I can still remember their cute noises. I also really liked the art they used in between commercials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the greenman

SVES, which was a short-lived block similar to Toonami only with a vintage video game theme. I dug it.

Miguzi, due to its underwater motif and the cute wraparounds.

Nick in the Afternoon: Stick Stickly, nuff said.

Nick at Nite: I'm referring to the era when it still showed '50s-early '70s TV, obviously.

NickToons: Before it became its own network, I mean.

Well, we're mostly concentrating on cartoons. Not just blocks in general.

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
My favorite blocks were Kids WB (Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Jackie Chan Adventures, and Xiaolin Showdown) and 4KidsTV (Sonic X, Kirby: Right Back at Ya!, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Dinosaur King).

My favorite Cartoon Network block was on Saturdays when they aired anime and action cartoons.

the_joker

Cartoon Cartoon Fridays, Toonami, Miguzi. Kids' WB, and Fox Kids were already mentioned, and I have fond memories of those blocks.

There's also the more recent DC Nation, and that was only 10 years ago. It also had shorts featuring lesser known DC properties such as Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld. Too bad the live-action segments were lame, but whatever. Ultimately, it would've been a nice place to showcase some DC shows and shorts, but too bad CN didn't (and still doesn't) give a crap DC stuff that wasn't Teen Titans Go!.

the greenman

Cartoon Cartoon Fridays, Toonami, Miguzi. Kids' WB, and Fox Kids were already mentioned, and I have fond memories of those blocks.

There's also the more recent DC Nation, and that was only 10 years ago. It also had shorts featuring lesser known DC properties such as Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld. Too bad the live-action segments were lame, but whatever. Ultimately, it would've been a nice place to showcase some DC shows and shorts, but too bad CN didn't (and still doesn't) give a crap DC stuff that wasn't Teen Titans Go!.
Yeah those DC Nation shorts were inventive and quite fun. Especially for the uninitiated youth, even though some of that stuff I was aware of just wasn't my bag.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts