First video game you ever played?

Zorak Masaki

Does anyone remember the first video game you played? Not sure about the first, but I have pictures of me playing Pac-Man and Tron at a video arcade when I was around 3. As for home video games, the first were probably a Pac-Man knockoff called Megabug and a very primitive Pinball game for the TRS-80. Getting to actual video game consoles, I got an Atari 2600 for Christmas 1984 (long after the crash, but I wasnt aware of that) along with Pac-Man and Combat, so I guess those were the first.

khuddle

River Rescue for my Commodore Vic 20 in 1983. Really clunky sidescroller -- think "Defender" but in a river setting.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Gosh, probably Space Invaders on 2600. I was veeeery young.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
If we're talking arcade, I don't remember. If we're talking console, it'd be that infamous incident when I first saw a friend's NES....from my website:

Once upon a time, when I lived in a massive apartment complex along with a billion other kids, one of them came up to me on a summer afternoon and said, "Hey, come over here and see this." He led me through an open screen door into his own living room, where an NES was sitting on top of the TV. I knew what it was -- at this time the NES was the hottest product in the universe and it was impossible not to know. What I DIDN'T know was what to do with the controller the kid handed me. I had never touched one before, and had no clue how to play what was now in front of me -- Level 1-1 of the original Super Mario Bros.

I figured out how to move, but never how to jump. Instead I just kept running right into the first goomba over and over until all my lives were up. Since we were playing two-players, the other kid didn't feel compelled to give me any hints as long as he was winning. And once he got a sense for how lousy a gamer I was, he lost his interest in letting me play. He could've cut me some slack -- it was literally the first time I had done this.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
It could be any of these:
-one of the eBrainyGames: either "Gonzo Heads" or "Balloon Kaboom" or "Animals of Africa" (a game with mazes)
-an obscure arcade game from Kipling Calendar, you had to collect bananas as an ape
-Jimmy Neutron vs. Jimmy Negatron
-Donald Duck: Going Quackers (probably not my first game)

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Probably Dig Dug or Pac Man or one of the other early 80's arcade games.

I believe my parents got us an Atari 2600 around 1982, I think we had 3 games at the start, one of which was "Combat". That was my favorite. I was real young around then.

I have better memories around us getting a Nintendo for Christmas in December of 1988 (first game played on that was Super Mario Bros., of course).

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Knock-off versions of Pac-Man and Donkey Kong on my dad's old Color Computer. I also had a device when I was little that had a bunch of Pong games on it that you hooked up to the TV. If it had been released today it is what would be known as a dedicated console.

Fun Fact: Monkey King was truer to the arcade version of Donkey Kong than the 2600 version was. Heck I'd argue since the pie factory level was included it was more like the arcade than the NES version.

The Color Computer was neat. Every month a magazine was released for it, and each issue came with a bunch of code for a different videogame. My poor dad would have to copy the code from the magazine to the computer, but when he did, we got a brand new knock-off videogame.

And per usual, my first videogame story is cooler than yours.

Last edited:

Pooky

Staff member
I can't 100% remember so here are some possibilities:
. The Simpsons or TMNT games in the arcades.
. Monkey Island II, Bart Vs the Space Mutants on DOS
. Popeye or Donkey Kong or maybe even B17 Bomber on my uncle's old Intellivision, which my mum pulled out of the attic when I wouldn't shut up about Mario and Sonic
. If they count, maybe an LCD Handheld game like Star Trek 25th Anniversary or the Mario Bros Game & Watch

This would have all been when I was 5 or 6 in 1992/early 1993. If it wasn't any of these then it was at a friend's house or a shop or something and I don't remember it.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
It could be any of these:
-one of the eBrainyGames: either "Gonzo Heads" or "Balloon Kaboom" or "Animals of Africa" (a game with mazes)
-an obscure arcade game from Kipling Calendar, you had to collect bananas as an ape
-Jimmy Neutron vs. Jimmy Negatron
-Donald Duck: Going Quackers (probably not my first game)
This is wrong. I always forget about all of the "educational" point and click games I used to play!

It has to be "Freddi Fish" (1994), which I played for the first time in last year of kindergarten in 2002. We were allowed to play it for a few minutes every Friday. It was my first interaction with a computer.

We had a few other point and click games at home: "Putt-Putt Travels Through Time" (1997), "Black Cats and Pointed Hats" (1999) and "Pettson and Findus Winter Game" (2000).

This is giving me immense nostalgia LOL

These kind of German games were very popular when I was young.

Last edited:

Trevor

As I recall it was some game on the Intellivision. At least I think it was Intellivision. I remember that the carts had a 45-degree slant where the title sticker went. And this was in the late-80’s.

Petran Markou

it was arcade games during mid-80s to late-80s.A fun fare park in the city centre had a big arcade game booth and it was my first real introduction to video games. Though only for playing for 2-3 minutes as they were too hard.

Elevator Action, Golden Axe, Street Smart, Flashgal, Wonderboy 1 + Monsterland, Galaga etc

5YearsOnEastCoast

I can't remember the name of the game, but it is a racing game and you ride a motorbike. I played it on PC and it was a 2D game.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts