Found any unknow/obscure cartoons?

Pooky

I don't know how well known it is in its home country, but I don't think many English speakers know much of Ottifanten a 13-episode Prime Time Animated series from 1993 predictably called "Germany's answer to The Simpsons", based on anthropomorphic elephant characters created by Otto Waalkes, a broad Jerry Lewis\Rowan Atkinson-style comedian who was very popular in German-speaking territories. The characters were, and would continue to be, familiar to Germans from comics, album covers and merchandise; I'm not sure whether the show was considered a success, but there was eventually a film based on the characters called Kommando Störtebeker in 2001.

Although the show was as far as I can tell never released in the UK or US, the tie-in Sega game was released in the UK for all three of Sega's platforms at the time, and some reviews described the series as being "on the way". There was also an English language trade ad for the series, so it's possible an English language dub was made but never released.

Attachments

• Ottifants.jpg
    Ottifants.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 10

DeStussy

I could be here all day if I were to mention French cartoons.
But if I had to pick one, it'd be Wombat City. It's also partially lost media since some of the episodes haven't been resurfaced.
A shame, since I like the aesthetic, character designs are questionable though...

SpaceCowboy

Does Littlest Pet Shop (2012) count? I feel like I'm the only person left in existence whose ever stood up for it, honestly. The only one left, that is.
You think that's obscure? There was a much earlier one from 1995 with Ocean Group talent that I never see anyone mention.

Last edited:

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
Another Sam Singer pilot:

Actually pretty funny, tho the sword fight at the end needs some work.

SpaceCowboy

The King and the Mockingbird (Le Roi et l'Oiseau) by Paul Grimault, a French-animated film that was an influence on Studio Ghibli and has a long production history similar to The Thief and the Cobbler. It's about a rivalry between a trollish bird and a tyranical king.

Animat did a review of it:

It exists in two versions: a cut from 1952 that got released in the US as The Curious Adventures of Mr Wonderbird (disowned by the director) and a recut in 1980 with new animation that goes under the original title.

Last edited:

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
Seen the Wonderbird version. Slow, & weird, with little character development, but very well animated. t's worth a watch if you like animation or movies that are a bit odd.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

So both are tied with 3 votes each. As per usual, I don't decide the winner of the competition, so I will extend the voting by 1 more day.

I don't understand why nick@nite shows Full House on social media considering it already left the lineup last month

Yet nick@nite social medias failed to post Mike and Molly
I'm currently watching Alex Bale's video about Goofy Goober, and it definitely goes into strange places, but it's quite interesting to watch.
I'm currently watching the livestream for DC Kids Fandome on YouTube. Batwheels comes out next year, and apparently, Batman: Caped Crusader and My Adventures With Superman come out in 2023. There's also a scene from DC Superhero Girls 2019 of Diana asking Barbara to not be friends with Harleen, and we see the Joker. Hopefully, there's an article that talks more about this.

Featured Posts