Gatordragon's Art Stuff

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The specific things I need help with are hand movements (specifically holding hands and objects), vehicles, and the ability to draw straighter lines without the aid of a ruler. I need a steadier hand and if there are tips for me to learn to create one I'd like to hear them.

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
The specific things I need help with are hand movements (specifically holding hands and objects), vehicles, and the ability to draw straighter lines without the aid of a ruler. I need a steadier hand and if there are tips for me to learn to create one I'd like to hear them.

I know of online pdfs of drawing books you can browse.

For drawing hands, vehicles, and objects in general, using pictures as a reference works wonders. Even professional artists use references. Personally, I take pictures of my own hands with my phone so I can draw hands better. However, you can look around for pictures and drawings so you can analyze them for your drawings.

Vehicles are something I have trouble with as well. I should probably work on that some time.

Drawing with a steadier hand takes practice. For me, fast strokes give straighter lines than slow strokes. Try practicing drawing familiar characters more swiftly and see if your lines get smoother.

This is quite a lot to take in, but there's no time limit. Just improve at your pace.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Thanks. I'm going to pour through all this.

Part of the reason I have an unsteady hand is because I have a bit of tardive dyskenesia from my meds, and I get the shakes. But if faster pencil strokes mean straighter lines I'll try that.

As for vehicles, I do use reference points often. They don't tend to help too much. Mostly because I suck at straight lines. It's a neverending cycle of frustration.

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
Painted a Florida Panther.

FloridaPanther.png

Painting is so much better when you don't have to worry about running out of paint.

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
If I'm feeling motivated, it will take me two to three hours for a fully colored illustration of a single person. If I'm lazy, it'll take longer. My drawings go through a lot of revision in the process.

In fact, here's how my drawing process usually goes.

Summertime_Eitri_Progress.png

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
Eh, it's actually pretty simple to make these backgrounds. It's mostly just standard airbrush, gouache, and watercolor brushes. And maybe some stamps here and there. The sky is usually a basic gradient.

Sometimes I'll blur the background to make the focus on the characters more apparent.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts