General Broadcast/Free-To-Air TV thread

homeofthebadguys

It's 27th September! Digi TV is set to launch in less than a half hour from when I post this.
I'm unsure what may happen, but knowing the library that's touted in the looping promo, I don't suspect that much will happen.

edit: It came on with only a countdown at 2:58am into a The Gadget Show episode focusing on camera comparisons and a flashlight endurance test.

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
A week ago, KSAS-TV 24.2 changed affiliations from TBD to MyNetworkTV, while KMTW 36.1 and 36.4 changed affiliation from MyNetworkTV to Dabl and from Dabl to TBD respectively.

hobo 7

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
On the same day as the KSAS/KMTV affiliation switch, KXVO and KPTM also had their affliations switched with KXVO switching from The CW to TBD with their subchannel KXVO-DT2 switching from TBD to Stadium along with KPTM-DT3 switching from Comet to The CW.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Last week, Virginia station WVBT-DT3, Nevada station KLAS-DT4 and WRIC-DT2 changed affilations from Heroes & Icons, Circle and Ion Television respectively to Rewind TV.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Last week, Virginia station WVBT-DT3, Nevada station KLAS-DT4 and WRIC-DT2 changed affilations from Heroes & Icons, Circle and Ion Television respectively to Rewind TV.
I need my Nexstar station to replace Court TV with it ,I have two Court TVs and no rewind TVs, I'd rather have two Rewinds and no Court TV but having one is fine..

LinusFan303

Squeak
Unimas rebranded, I want to guess sometime last week

the logo is just the word now, no more U.

Here's a local bumper

And I went and captured the logo bug
Screenshot (192).png

And during in program graphics when it returned

Screenshot (196).png

Screenshot (197).png

DogBoneController

Meredith Corporation is no more. Gray Television and IAC announced that they've closed their deals to acquire Meredith's TV stations and magazines, respectively.

With the closure, Gray is now the second largest TV station operator in the US by revenue. Hopefully this means my local CBS station gets a better newscast (I'm not optimistic about that, though!).

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Meredith Corporation is no more. Gray Television and IAC announced that they've closed their deals to acquire Meredith's TV stations and magazines, respectively.

With the closure, Gray is now the second largest TV station operator in the US by revenue. Hopefully this means my local CBS station gets a better newscast (I'm not optimistic about that, though!).
The Meredith name will continue on under Dotdash as the latter company has been renamed Dotdash Meredith.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
WJMN Local 3 in Escanaba/Marquette, MI is set to lose its CBS affiliation at midnight ET. CBS programs will move to a digital subchannel of WZMQ. Channel 3 would become a independent station focused on news.

WJMN Local 3 becomes independent news station
Very few former network O&Os (outside of those of DuMont and UPN which are now defunct) disaffiliate from the network that once owned the station, but it has happened before.

NBC:
WBUF in Buffalo was owned by NBC from 1953-58, it is now PBS station WNED-TV

WRCV-TV in Philadelphia was owned by NBC from 1956-65, it is now CBS O&O KYW-TV

KCNC-TV in Denver was owned by NBC from 1986-95, it is now a CBS O&O

KUTV in Salt Lake City was owned by NBC for part of 1995, it is now a CBS affiliate, formerly an O&O

WNCN in Raleigh-Durham was owned by NBC from 1996-2006, it is now a CBS affiliate

CBS:
WHCT in Hartford was owned by CBS from 1955-59, it is now Univision affiliate WUVN

WXIX in Milwaukee was owned by CBS from 1955-59, it is now CW affiliate WVTV

WCAU in Philadelphia was owned by CBS from 1958-95, it is now an NBC O&O, the only station sold by one network to another (a result of the CBS/Westinghouse deal)

The CW:
WLWC in Providence was a CW O&O from 2006-07, it is now a Court TV affiliate

Fox:
KDAF in Dallas-Fort Worth was owned by Fox from 1986-95, it is now a CW affiliate

WATL in Atlanta was owned by Fox from 1993-95 (but lost Fox to WAGA in 1994), it is now a MyNetworkTV affiliate

WFTC was a Fox O&O from 2001-02, it is now a MyNetowrkTV O&O

WJMN becomes the latest addition to this list. It was a CBS O&O from 1992-2007, it was sold at the same time as WFRV in Green Bay, of which it had served as a semi-satellite.

homeofthebadguys

Very few former network O&Os (outside of those of DuMont and UPN which are now defunct) disaffiliate from the network that once owned the station, but it has happened before.
There's also a station in the San-Francisco market that FOX owns, but has no affiliation with the network.
That station is KICU-TV (acquired from cable operator Cox in 2014), and it's primary programming seems to be syndicated content, news from sister channel KTVU-TV and occasional pre-emption spillover.
As to why it's not a MyNetworkTV station if it isn't a Fox channel, KRON is the MyNetwork affiliate there.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
I'm hoping ABC airs a 50th anniversary special for the show MASH on September 18 (can't be the 17th due to college football).

Disney has owned MASH since they bought 21st Century Fox.

And ABC should air a reboot of MASH as well, using the theme song recording from the original series.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts