General Broadcast/Free-To-Air TV thread

Moe

but why would they do that
because it can help to keep 24/7 animated channel running without advertising, so some members in here want to have 24/7 animated channel.

The Congress has power to legislate almost anything, so they could make TV better for everyone.

Otakuninja2006

Unfortunately, advertisers and capitalism get in the way.
Yeah, but look at Weigel.......

I think they can do it..

If they can make MeTV a breakout hit, then they can have a animation station and have it become a hit as well, just start to find newer stuff after a few years and try to find smaller animation studios to try to make/get new stuff.
Some tried but there is problem - they are unable to find advertisers to sponsor the OTA channel with 24/7 animated shows and many TV stations refused to carry.
PBJ didn't even get pushed into most markets, and Qubo was actually decently successful, it was successful enough to last nearly 15 years and would still be on right now if Scripps haven't brought Ion and replaced it with more crappy channels, and for the love of god, PLEASE FIX LAFF! SERIOUSLY WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME THEY HAD SOMETHING WORTH WATCHING, LET ALONE ANY NEW ADDITIONS?
It is possible to finance with tax breaks and profits from successful theatrical films to cover on cost to operate the OTA.

There is quick fix - The Congress has authority to amend Children's Television Act (CTA) to require TV stations to carry the channel with 24/7 animated shows, so it can be covered with federal funds or special tax break. If no channel exists, so FCC can create a new channel or contract with stations like Sinclair to handle with syndication and schedule.
So, an all-ages, all-animated PBS channel, just not PBS, and actually potentially watchable, but at the exact same time, putting down creativity and originality?
CTA hasn't been amended after first passed in 1990, so we are in 21st Century and CTA needs to be updated to address the concern with digital subchannels.
Exactly! They have changed a little with the E/I law, but it's still not enough.
Most women are heavily interested in crime shows, so that why TV networks expanded further.

Oxygen is limited to NBC owned TV stations but it isn't carried by all TV stations that aren't own and operated by NBC. Exception of Ion and TBN, none of major channels in my market area is owned and operated by major studios like ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and CW.
WAIT A MINUTE!! Oxygen is doing this RIGHT NOW?

EDIT: Yep there are......

This actually gives me a idea for Universal Kids!
Yes but one of most tricky is local and they can adjust the TV schedule to fill with news and infomercial. At national level, Cozi is almost entirely retro channel, but in my area, more than half of Cozi are filled with news, religious and infomercial. Luckily, Comcast was nice to include Cozi at no charge to TV providers who carry NBCUniversal owned channels.

I am aware that some subchannel outlets allow stations to do that..
Of course, I agreed with you.
Great.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
I forgot to mention this a while ago. FOX Weather is not just on streaming anymore.
It's airing in blocks on some My Network TV owned stations. Like KCOP-TV which also airs a mixture of Decades and Fox Soul airs it 1-2PM, and weekends 4-6AM, KICU (not a My Network TV station) is running it 2-3PM weekends 4-6AM and many more, in the weekdays for 1 hour and weekends for 2 hours deal; also it's on 24/7 as a digital network on Fox owned stations. I

RabbitEars.Info

CTA hasn't been amended after first passed in 1990, so we are in 21st Century and CTA needs to be updated to address the concern with digital subchannels.
It's been amended 3 times since 1990, most recently in 2019.

Moe

It's been amended 3 times since 1990, most recently in 2019.
It was FCC changed the rule 3 times, not the Congress. The amend means the Congress has to introduce the amendment to make any changes to CTA.

CTA allows FCC to adopt the rule whichever is more stricter or more loosen. If the Congress disagrees, so they can introduce the amendment to force FCC to follow the law that is written by the Congress.

Yeah, but look at Weigel.......

I think they can do it..

If they can make MeTV a breakout hit, then they can have a animation station and have it become a hit as well, just start to find newer stuff after a few years and try to find smaller animation studios to try to make/get new stuff.
It is possible to do in block format, so advertisers will sponsor those and MeTV is well recognized by many viewers, so that why MeTV won a lot of advertisers to fill the slot.

PBJ didn't even get pushed into most markets, and Qubo was actually decently successful, it was successful enough to last nearly 15 years and would still be on right now if Scripps haven't brought Ion and replaced it with more crappy channels, and for the love of god, PLEASE FIX LAFF! SERIOUSLY WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME THEY HAD SOMETHING WORTH WATCHING, LET ALONE ANY NEW ADDITIONS?
because Ion is owned and operating TV stations in almost all markets, so Ion slotted Qubo as digital subchannel. It was reason about why Qubo was successful but others weren't lucky.

As for issue with Ion, it is very unfortunately to see Ion killed Qubo.

Oh wow about Laff and sadly, I didn't receive Laff when I had DirecTV and Spectrum. Spectrum carried MeTV, H&I and Antenna TV, that it.

So, an all-ages, all-animated PBS channel, just not PBS, and actually potentially watchable, but at the exact same time, putting down creativity and originality?
because PBS receive a funding from government and donation. HBO made Sesame Street as first-run on their channel before goes to PBS. I was very disappointed at HBO and WB to secured the deal to air Sesame Street on HBO since I thought that Sesame Street is belong to PBS.

Exactly! They have changed a little with the E/I law, but it's still not enough.
I'm going to write a letter to my representative and ask them to look and fix the holes with CTA. I think it could resolve easily with bipartisan if they look hard.

WAIT A MINUTE!! Oxygen is doing this RIGHT NOW?

EDIT: Yep there are......

This actually gives me a idea for Universal Kids!
It is possible if Comcast want to do this, and of course, Universal Kids could become a digital subchannel to expand to get more audience.

I am aware that some subchannel outlets allow stations to do that..
I prefer to have clean and original digital subchannel without any modification by local TV stations.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
It was FCC changed the rule 3 times, not the Congress. The amend means the Congress has to introduce the amendment to make any changes to CTA.

CTA allows FCC to adopt the rule whichever is more stricter or more loosen. If the Congress disagrees, so they can introduce the amendment to force FCC to follow the law that is written by the Congress.

I will say I'm against the idea of forcing broadcasters to make children's themed digital networks, it might not go the way you think it would. Remember the current rules say networks have to air children's programming and look at the programming they air for children.

It would be better to have a more robust funded PBS so we can have a children's service like how the BBC has operations for younger children and older children, and the ABC (the Australian one). A public broadcaster is there to fulfill needs that commercial broadcasters can't do.

because PBS receive a funding from government and donation. HBO made Sesame Street as first-run on their channel before goes to PBS. I was very disappointed at HBO and WB to secured the deal to air Sesame Street on HBO since I thought that Sesame Street is belong to PBS.
HBO saved Sesame Street , funding was drying up on both CTW and PBS, without HBO, Sesame Street would have been ended, PBS gets the show for free in return. (Tax write-break for Warner too)

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
More Ion in other places if you use Freevee , Ion Television is on there as a live channel , also interestingly, overnight when Ion does Infomercials this Ion airs life style shows instead. This is the same as the Samsung TV Plus feed added earlier.

Also more, Scripps Network DEFY TV is on Freevee. I wonder if Xumo adds Ion next, they have Ion Plus, so that should be next.

hobo 7

The ABC subchannel Localish (formerly the Live Well Network) is now available for free on Tubi TV.

locally.png

Different schedule from the OTA feed, but at least it doesn't interrupt the regular schedule with local infomercials.

But yeah, this is great for me as someone who can't get a good antenna signal to save his life. I like this channel so far. It's like Viceland when that channel was still good, but not as experimental

Last edited:

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
METV's summer line up isn't being changed too much, minus "The A-Team" replacing : "The Addams Family" and "Happy Days" on the weekday 6/5c slot
Full House is moving down to 1 hour on Sundays at 5/4c replacing "The Love Boat" and new summer block called the "Sunday Block Party"
The Sunday Block party replaces The Brady Brunch block , Full House's 2 hours and the Gilligan's Island block.

The block party will have 5 hours of one comedy, starting June 5. The A-Team has the 5 hour marathon on May 29.
The Shows will be : The Beverly Hillbillies, Leave it To Beaver, I Love Lucy, Gidget, The Flying Nun, and The Monkees. The block ends September 4.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Mr. Mayor has been cancelled at NBC after two seasons.

I hope this opens the door for Ted Danson to do a new series for Paramount, which produced Cheers and Becker.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Ion has the Spelling Bee this year (since it's their Parent company's event) I mentioned this before, but here's the full schedule, the daytime rounds are on Ion Plus (which is on Xumo, Samsung TV Plus, Vizio Watch Free+ ) The Evening Events on June 1 and 2 are on Ion and Bounce TV
1653251058977.png

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Nexstar is launching a new joint news operation for their Washington duopoly called D.C. News Now.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts